local big horse show questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christine

Reaction score
I know this will set a few people back but here are my thought and want to know other views to open my eyes on this subject, but there is a local quarter show here that allow miniatures to be shown as many others have gone to but I have gone to this show to show my quarters and while there the miniatures were basically pets with little to no show work or prep done to them, my question/thought is ok, we are showing these "show" ponies to people who really dont know much about them, our area is not real populated with miniatrues and they are seeing fat short stubby ponies, is this something we want others to think of our breed.....of corse I know they are having fun and this is what it is all about as well, but hate the fact that these people are seeing these horses and thinking they are great show horses?

I show my mini at shows that have big horse class' they have now added miniature class' and we have alot of people come to show...plus it only cost 4.00 class and they are two days with 2 different judges..great fun.

I understand your feelings, but other than showing against them, what else can you do?

When we got our first mini, we showed at a local big horse show that usually had 5-8 minis showing. While they weren't Nationals quality halter horses, they were still nice horses and most of them were also well trained in obstacle and hunter. Not all local big horse shows have "fat short stubby ponies."

Other than showing with them, there is nothing you can (or should) do. I think its unfair to think that people with pet quality horses should not have an avenue to show in. The small fairs and local show circuit is all some people want to show, or can afford to show in, and for a most people its about fun, not about promoting their farm name or breeding stallion. If you are concerned that people are only seeing one type of minis, than haul yours out to the shows as well... but I wouldn't go around telling everyone that your minis are how minis are "supposed" to look, and the others are just "cute pets" or you'll hurt a LOT of feelings. And whats wrong with people thinking it would be fun to own and show these type of minis at these type of shows? Some people would never aspire to head to nationals with a top 10 gelding, some people just want to go out and have fun with a great group of people who share the same interest- horses. I know my own gelding would never cut it in the national ring, and there are definatley people here who would tell me he would be worthless in the sanctioned show ring too, but we have fun and kick butt on the local show circuit, so I'm sorry if I take a bit of offense to your post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back