listerine

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me the routine for using listerine for dandruff?

Do you just dilute with water and spray on?

I have used it straight without diluting. Only ever used the brown antiseptic kind, never tried the mint. I just put in a spray bottle and apply. Its always worked for me. My horses have stopped rubbing after the first application.

Doesn't Listerine contain alcohol? Wouldn't that have a drying effect?

Just wondering.

It does contain alcohol but the antiseptic variety also contains anti fungal properties which combat the dandruff problems that cause rubbed tail docks and mane crests. Its some sort of anaerobic inhibitant. Ive been using it for years and it works great. If your horse has dry skin but not dandruff (a fungus) then yes any alcohol products would further dry the skin. You could also apply topical fungicide (it comes in a pink spray) and see if that alleviates the itch if you're nit sure whatever is causing the horse to itch. Skin care starts frim the inside (ie.) With a good diet. Adding ammino acids and omega 3's like ground flax or coca soya may improve dry skin but they wont cure fungal infections like dandruff.

Thanks guys.

He isn't itchy, not lice just dandruffy. Just started him on BOSS also.

I always used a mixture of 1/2 Listerine to 1/2 mineral oil for using on all the show horses for detangling, flakes, etc. Worked like a charm and smelled good too.

It was also gentle to the skin, as I used it on my palomino few spot who had very pink skin, and there was no irritation.

Last edited:
Nicky has had rain-rot twice now (last 2 years). Luckily just in small spots--inch or so diameter--I used a "pink" anti-fungal spray product from our local co-op. Active ingredient: benzalkonium chloride 0.15%. I only had to use it once or twice to get rid of the rain-rot.

We don't shave, and we don't blanket. Plus, Nicky likes to roll and get dirty.

I don't know about Listerine. Guess I'm a wuss, but that stuff stings my mouth when I use it. I can't see using it on a horse. (hmmm, I wonder if it would stain Nicky's white hairs to blue-ish?)

Yes Ang the flavored mouthwash does stain. I always use the brown stuff so it doesn't stain. A student of mine used cinnamon flavored wash once and Freddie's tail was pink for weeks.

Mixing it with the mineral oil "cuts" it so there is no sting. Just mix it and put it in a spray bottle and use like any other spray for knots or basic grooming, or skin places that need a little extra attention.

One of my trainers put me onto this, and I tried it, and used it for years afterwards.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back