Lil Newt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Last March Lil Newt was foaled and at the time he looked black. Within a short time it was obvious that he was a roan. I am just not sure if he is a bay roan or a blue roan. Last summer when clipped he was "silver as could be." That silver is still beneath the winter woolies but the winter coat is very red. His face and legs are dark but look a very dark brown rather than black like Memphis, his sire. Memphis is a blue roan but has not been tested for agouti and red factor. So Memphis could be EErr or Eerr, right? Now the dam Choctaw is gray overo. I just am not sure whether to call Newt bay roan or blue roan. He has turned out to be so sweet. I love on him so much I get mean looks from the mares.
default_wacko.png

CIMG1879.JPG CIMG1928.JPG

NOW.

CIMG1893.JPG

memphis 029.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If the dam is homozygous for Agouti then the foal, if not chestnut or modified by cream (as it seems is the case here) must be bay. And bay on roan, that I have been taught is called bay roan
default_smile.png
If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me but I believe that is what I would call him for sure. He is gorgeous though
wub.gif

If the dam is homozygous for Agouti then the foal, if not chestnut or modified by cream (as it seems is the case here) must be bay. And bay on roan, that I have been taught is called bay roan
default_smile.png
If I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will correct me but I believe that is what I would call him for sure. He is gorgeous though
wub.gif

default_aktion033.gif
Yay, for me. I gave the wrong mare as the dam.
default_shutup.gif
I corrected it to Choctaw though. She is gray overo and so there are way many possibilities. I just know he is a roan but not sure if technically blue or bay. He is a darling though as far as personality.

As far as I know blue roan are black based so he should be a bay roan due to his red base colour. I love the way roans change colour during the year, my blue roan mare is all black in winter she has a black head and white body in spring and then her body changes to dark grey in summer. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so I pulled out a pamphlet on the roaning factor and refreshed my memory that a roan can be RR homozygous, Rr heterozygous, but that rr would be recessive and therefore not be a roan. So again, Newt is either a blue roan or a bay roan.
default_rolleyes.gif

default_aktion033.gif
Yay, for me. I gave the wrong mare as the dam.
default_shutup.gif
I corrected it to Choctaw though. She is gray overo and so there are way many possibilities. I just know he is a roan but not sure if technically blue or bay. He is a darling though as far as personality.
laugh.gif
Well in that case it certainly does open up some more possibilities, but I still believe that he would be considered a bay roan. If I drove by and saw him in the pasture I would say 'Oh my! Look at that handsome bay roan!' Do you happen to know what color his dam was before she greyed?

As far as the dam's coloration before she grayed...don't know. I guess I could contact the lady that owned Choctaw's dam when she was foaled. We have emailed in the past. I also know who the current owner is of her dam. She might have pictures of all her foals even though she never owned Choctaw. She is tan and white with her winter coat. Here is a picture of her clipped with the gray really showing. She is the one on the left.

choctaw.jpg

he is a blue roan (black) if he was bay his muzzle would be paler

Latest posts

Back