Lights

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkadator

Reaction score
I used to keep my big horses under lights from 4:30 PM until about 10 PM. The lights were set to go on and off at those times via a timer. The horses never grew a winter coat and kept their summer coat all year long. It was wonderful. I was wondering if any of you use lights in your mini's stalls, and if so, are they effective in preventing a winter coat. Thanks!

How do they keep warm against the elements?

Do they 'need' to be kept in summer coats during winter?

We used lights on our Quarter Horse mares, but it was to bring them into regular heat cycles during the winter months. When raising show horses for the "biggies" they like to have them born in January or February. With the location we are in we needed to have the extra light to have them cycle during that time.

How do they keep warm against the elements?
Do they 'need' to be kept in summer coats during winter?

I live in southern Florida. It is often in the 80s during the day down here in the winter, so it takes a long time for the horses to cool off and dry off if we work them when they have long hair. On the few nights when it gets cold I either put a sheet or a blanket on them depending on how cold it is going to be. I keep my little guy clipped in the winter. He is a red roan in the summer, but when he is clipped he turns gray with a brown face and legs. It's not the prettiest color combination in the world, but his red roan color is quite striking in the summer. So, if I could keep his coat short like in the summer, not only would I not have to clip, but he would be pretty year-round also.

We keep the QH on lights to keep the winter coats off, but it does keep them cycling. I have used lights on my mini and her coat did not grow as much. I clipped my mini in November and put her blankets on her, she has been wearing three since the cold weather and she has not grown back any winter hair. Hope this gives you some help.

Latest posts

Back