Lice on horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brown bodies and white butts=lice.

Lyn

Some of my horses rub like Rabbitsfizz said. only in the winter and I can NEVER find any signs of anything. They rub extra hard under their thick manes. Does the listerine help with the itching or are you doing it to kill lice? I don't really want to clip them as they live outside 24/7 and we are in northern Canada so we probably still have lots of quite cold weather left. Any advice?

Yes the Listerine definitely helps the itching.

I have never clipped a horse that had lice- with one exception and that was not a Mini and was so bad it was life threatening.

In that case the lice were so big we actually clipped through some of the bodies so the animal had also to be on antibiotics in case of infection.

One of my Arab mares got lice in the last month of pregnancy and I used an old, OLD remedy.

You put grease (pig fat was suggested but I actually just used Lard) along the back from behind the ears to the base of the dock.

Then a ring around the anus and the neck.

Lice and fleas, apparently, get moisture form the eye and the anus of the host.

The lice also swap sides of the host once a day.

To do either they have to pass through the thick line of grease- they bury their heads in this and suffocate and fall off.

I only used it the once- the lice of this mare were so bog I could see them without any help at all- and they were all gone, completely and without any chemicals or clipping, inside of 24 hours.

When I bought my TB gelding he came with lice from the chickens they had. I had to treat him 3 times to get rid of it, I used the powder and I used a pour on that is for cattle and horses, and I also used ivermectin paste wormer. He was so enfested with them I ended up trimming his mane down as there were so many eggs in there. If your chickens have them treat them too, chickens can die from it, not to mention your horses will just keep getting it.

Here's what I used for a pour on. http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=...;productID=9355

And here is the powder http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=...productID=16193

Last edited by a moderator:
I had lice on a mare I purchased. I gave her ivermectin, clipped her and gave her a bath with flea and tick shampoo. When she was dry, I dusted her down with the powder. Voila! No more lice!!

We dont get that problem here and I had never seen it, so was HORRIFIED about the whole thing. She was not allowed on the property with the others til she was bathed and powdered. She had to spend the night in the trailer and got it all done the next day. Then I cleaned and sprayed down the trailer as well.

Where can you get the liquid inv. wormer? Also where do you all get the dust power stuff?

thanks

I get liquid ivermec at the vet or farm store in the refrigerator part. Also, I think the sevin dust is found in the garden isle. It is for vegetables.

I clipped , used flea and tick shampoo (twice the first day), then stripped her stall and sprayed it down to kill anything in there. She got a second bath the next day. No more lice. ICK!!!

My vet said the Sevin powder would not work on the lice.
default_unsure.png
:

Robin

hello,

is sevin dust safe on pregnant mares? has anyone use adams flea and tick spray or shampoo for lice? what about liquid ivermectin on pregnant mares? how often do you spray or dip or use liquid ivermectin on your horses.what do you do for your pasture areas?we have 320 acres behind us that belongs to someone else with alot of pine trees.

thanks

[SIZE=14pt] I am fighting right now! I use PYRAHNA fly spray. thats gets um going! Lice WILL go to other speices if their own is in short supply. The fleas you see on dogs and the ones that bite us are acually cat fleas. They have a perfered host but will go to anything. I take my horses in to where I work and bath them with there flea shampoo and then shave them. Fly spray the rest.[/SIZE]

April

Any shampoo with BLUING in it will kill the lice. Wash - rinse - wash and rinse well.

I start with a dose of ivermectin (we use the liquid) ... then use the horse lice powder as well - but never on pregnant mares.

Repeat the powder as per instructions - I think it says 10 days/2 weeks... and problem solved!

default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Use "drykill" (or something similar) and dust them A LOT make sure to use rubber gloves and to really get it in their fur especially this time of year with them not having a short coat! Use the wormer as well and make sure you completely wash anything and everything that has touched those horses. For example you, your clothes, their halters, leadropes, brushes etc. Once you do this they should be gone very very quickly.

My father bought me a filly when I was 14 and she was LOADED with lice and had mud mange up to her knees along with being very thin. My neighbor brought over some powder that they put in the hanging bag for cows to brush against. We roached her mane and gave her a bath and after she was dry we powdered her. within a week she was free of lice.

Back