Lice on horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis

Reaction score
We had a stray cat show up a couple weeks ago and since then a couple horses have been itchy.. I didn't think anything of it as this time of year the horses usually get itchy because of the warmer days and shedding of their winter coats, until today I noticed that a couple had spots on their necks that they had rubbed the hair down and that's when I noticed little bugs..
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
They've got to be from the stupid cat or the three chickens who have found it necessary to roost in the barn.. So, what's the best way to deal with it? I've found them on two bred mares (one close to her due date) and on two yearling fillies. There are three trail horses and another yearling in the same barn as well.. Only thing I have been able to find on the net is to shampoo them, which is impossible since it is still cold out.. I read somewhere that you can use Sevin powder, but I know that's toxic, so how would that be safe to use?

Just my luck this would happen
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
I feel bad for playing it off at first, never thought they'd be exposed to lice.. *sigh*

[SIZE=14pt]they also make a powder to dust them with. not sure about using it on preg. mares but it will say on the label. you can get it at any farm store. good luck, Nikki[/SIZE]

We ended up with a bout of lice about a month ago, I dusted EVERYONE including our pregnant mares. We appear to have gotten rid of it but one of our weanling colts still has some bare patches on his neck from the lice. The pregnant mares seem to be fine... I can still feel the foals moving. But, in the spring I would recommend baths with the shampoo and maybe clipping everyone if you can!

Just so you know, each mammal has its own strain of lice. You cannot catch lice from the horses and they cannot get it from cats. Unfortunately, it is just one of those things that happen when you have horses. Eventually you will have them.

It really freaked me out the first time I had them on my place but it happens. You just have to deal with it. Now if I get a horse in with it I do this. I dust them, then in a couple days I vacuum them and dust them again. I continue this process until I dont find anything moving on them. I also give them a dose of Ivermectin and then hit them again a few weeks later with Ivermectin again.

Also, just because you find them on one does not mean they all have them. It will not hurt to dust everybody though.

Sorry and good luck

Birds are a big culpret to giving horses lice. I know here its a yearly winter battle when the nasty birds take up residence in the barn.

This year I have only seen one horse with a issue.

That said powder then now. When its warmer clip them and throw then out in the sun that will kill them.

I sprayed them with fly spray. It says on the label that it kills lice, and it did. Bronco is the one I used, I think, but I have others and they all say that they will kill lice.

Stacye

When I had one with lice, the vet told me that just killing the ones you can see is not enough. They will have laid eggs and then the eggs hatch after you think you've killed them all. That's why you have to keep retreating. As in the shampoo has to be (I forget exactly) every other day for a week or something like that.

I know that I am going to repeat what someone said earlier. You cannot get lice from your horses as your horses cannot get lice from a cat, birds, goat or cows! My vet told me that all lice is host specific they can jump on you and bite you but they cannot live on anything, but the species they are meant for. When my horses get lice I treat them with ivermectin liquid from the vet when I notice the lice and then 10 days to 2 weeks later that will take care of the problem, you can also dust them it does help.

My horses go out in the woods here....lots of birds and , yes sometimes lice. Regular Ivermectin wormer will help also I have used the bronko fly spray daily for a week. I see that some are rubbing on the trees again... I use Strongid daily wormer but will hit them with ivermectin and start spraying again. They arent the crud that people think....even some really clean well cared for horses get them. Heck, my kids got head lice three times in school! Now thats a night mare, wash and treat every stuffed animal, every piece of clothing and bedding, rid on the heads and pick the nits off..... YUK!

Lyn

We've had lice 'party' on our horses two times now. First time when we got a new horse in our barn and second time when we were with some of our horses on a big horse event (in wintertime).

Nothing to do but curse and start treatment (I asked the lice very nicely if they could leave, but they liked their 'hotel/resort' way to much to listen... :lol: ).

Our vet came with a good idea: he advised to use the stuf that kills fleas on dogs. He said to use the liquid kind and drip it on the horses skin (the same way you do with dogs). That anti-flea stuff is tested to be safe on horses. It was never tested on pregnant mares though.

For our pregnant mares we use the Flea-spray (that has been tested to be safe already). The spray is a little bit more work. The brands name that has been tested is: Boflor (I don't know if they sell that in the USA as well).

default_yes.gif
: We found this method to be VERY effective and it does not bother the horses one bit. And, we don't have to clip in wintertime....
default_wink.png
:

There are actually some fly sprays that are labeled for lice and work very well on heavy winter coats.

Lice are very well adapted to a particular host and even to specific areas on a host’s body; lice will not survive on other host species.

As has been stated lice cannot move between species.

They can live for a very limited time on another host animal but the only time they will try is when the host has died- thus in the case of fleas (which are similar host specific) my cat gets infested around the edges of her ears only with rabbit fleas when she kills one as the edges of her ears are where the temperature of her body is closest to that of the rabbit.

In these cases no treatment is necessary.

Every year my horses rub like crazy and every year I used to dust them with louse powder.

But I never found a louse.

There must be something in the powder that alleviates the itching.

Running the clippers over the jawline and neckline and up the "knickers" (translation :- the long fine hair up the back of the rump/ quarters
default_smile.png
) using the clippers with the hair not against it, stops all the crazy itching without resort to chemicals.

WHEN I remember to do it!!!

Rabbit had rubbed himself raw under his mane and on the other side of his neck- poor baby.

I brought him up, clipped as stated and also clipped around the area he had rubbed, sprayed it with Listerine and gave the muddy little toad a good groom.

He has stopped rubbing fanatically even though he has gone back to making himself into a good imitation of a cross between a muck heap and a very small haystack.

First make sure you have lice before treating them
default_yes.gif
:

It is lice, we found the little beggers.. We treated the horses with a dust from the local farm store and we also bought Bronco fly spray since it takes care of just about all external parasites.. We plan on clipping everyone as soon as it warms up and stays that way and bathing everyone as well.. COME ON SPRING!
default_wink.png
: Guess I can look on the bright side, gives me a good xcuse to clip everyone as early as possible this year
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Lice on Horses

Irritation, dull coat, hair loss,

mane and tail become matted,

loss of condition and anaemia

Author: Dr. B. Wright - Veterinary Scientist, Equine and Alternative Livestock/OMAF

Lice on horses is not common but questions arise about treatment. Both sucking and biting lice can affect horses. The chewing louse, Bovicola equi, feeds off tissue and cells sloughed from the surface of the skin. The sucking louse of horses, Haematopinus asini, feeds off blood. The species of lice is important since it is easier to kill sucking lice with a systemic insecticide than it is to kill biting lice. Lice cause intense itching (pruritus) around the base of the tail, head and mane. Horses will rub themselves raw.

Lice are normally species-specific. However, the chewing lice of poultry can also affect horses when housed together. The horses should be removed from the building. If the poultry is removed, the lice will continue to harass the horses unless a good cleanup and premise insecticide treatment is used.

Lice and their Life Cycle:

Lice undergo a simple life cycle. They transform from egg to nymph to adult with the entire cycle being completed on the host. The chewing louse is about 1/10 of an inch long, chestnut brown in color, with a yellow abdomen with dark cross bands. They are flat with a broad, rounded head and slender legs. The eggs are attached to the hair and hatch in 5 to 10 days. Nymphs immediately start feeding and mature in 3 to 4 weeks.

The sucking louse is about 1/8 of an inch long and a dirty grey color. They have a broad abdomen which contrasts with their long narrow head. Sucking lice are more common and more irritating than chewing lice. They have piercing mouth parts. When present in large numbers, they can cause anemia. The eggs are attached to the hair and hatch 11 to 20 days later. Nymphs begin sucking blood immediately. They complete their life cycle in 2 to 4 weeks.

Control and Treatment:

Transmission of lice is by direct contact between horses and through contact with infected brushes, blankets and tack. Successful control requires that equipment is cleaned thoroughly with the same insecticide as used on the horses. The cleaning should be repeated in two weeks. Sterilization of equipment by boiling will also kill the lice, nymphs and eggs as will placing blankets and coolers in the drier at the highest heat setting.

The only approved products for the treatment of horses with lice are the powder products, Dusting Powder and Sevin. All other products are used in an off-label, or extra-label, manner and the veterinarian is required to re-label the product, providing directions for use, e.g. the route of administration and frequency as well as human and animal precautions associated with the product.

Powders should be used by dusting the entire animal and ensuring that the dust reaches the skin. It is difficult to get the powder down to the skin when animals have a long winter coat. Wetable powders are intended to be mixed with water and applied to improve contact with the skin. Powders may contain any of several chemicals including: rotenone, coumaphos, carbaryl, and fenthion.

Systemic treatments such as the avermectins are not approved for treatment of lice on horses. Systemic products usually come as a pour-on and an injectable. Care must be taken before contemplating the use of a pour-on form, since the carrier base (e.g. alcohol) may cause a local skin reaction. The injectable form may possibly be used orally for sucking lice treatment but no research has been reported (1).

Pour-on Products

Permethrins can be used as non-systemic, pour-on, insecticides to control lice. A 4% solution is recommended when treating donkeys with lice (2). A 1% solution was very effective in controlling lice in cattle and a 0.1% solution of permethrin was effective against chorioptic mange in cattle. It may be possible to use a 0.1% solution of permethrin for biting lice on horses and reduce the potential for skin reactions which is sometimes seen with a 1% permethrin solution (3). The permethrin solution should be applied along the back and down the face. Two treatments, 14 days apart, are recommended for the optimum control of lice.

The following are products containing permethrin with their concentration of permethrin: Coopers Delice Pour-on - 1%, Disvap Equine 0.1%, Nix (a human product) - 1%, Siecon - 0.5%, and Vetolice - 1%. These can be diluted, as necessary, to get a 0.1% solution (3). Some of these products have an oil-based carrier and will create a mess if the horse rolls in a sandy arena. Siecon, and Disvap-Equine are labeled for use for flies on horses.

Shampoos

Seleen shampoo, Sanofi Animal Health, has been reported as being successful in treating lice on horses. Seleen is approved for the treatment of seborrhea in small animals. The 1% selenium sulphide has antiparasitic action. Patterson reported that whole-body bathing of horses with Seleen three times at 10 day intervals was successful in treating lice. Treatment consisted of using the following amounts of Seleen: for ponies - 150 ml; horses up to 500 kg. body weight - 300 ml; and horses greater than 500 kg. body weight - 450 ml (4).

Choice of treatment will vary depending on time of year, ambient temperature and the number of horses being treated. Your veterinarian will provide you with the best treatment option.

References:

Knight P., personal communication, Pfizer Animal Health

Svendsen E. D., The Professional Handbook of the Donkey, 3rd Edition, Whittet Books

Heal J., personal communication, Environmental Biology, University of Guelph

Paterson S., Orrel S., Treatment of Biting Lice in Horses Using Selenium Sulphide, Eq. Vet. Educ. 1995; 11:11-28.

Why do you have to use liquid Ivermectin and not paste form?
We have found that it works faster it isn't a pour on you use like the paste,but it is in liqiud form, it is what our vets recommend and it is actually cheaper if you have a larger number of horses.

When it is warm enough to shampoo them -- I have found that any shampoo with bluing in it kills the lice nicely. I usually shampoo one time - and rinse well - then shampoo again really working the lather into their coats (getting down to the skin) - works even with winter woolies if you get the entire coat really soaked.

JJay

We had a stray cat show up a couple weeks ago and since then a couple horses have been itchy.. I didn't think anything of it as this time of year the horses usually get itchy because of the warmer days and shedding of their winter coats, until today I noticed that a couple had spots on their necks that they had rubbed the hair down and that's when I noticed little bugs..
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
They've got to be from the stupid cat or the three chickens who have found it necessary to roost in the barn.. So, what's the best way to deal with it? I've found them on two bred mares (one close to her due date) and on two yearling fillies. There are three trail horses and another yearling in the same barn as well.. Only thing I have been able to find on the net is to shampoo them, which is impossible since it is still cold out.. I read somewhere that you can use Sevin powder, but I know that's toxic, so how would that be safe to use?

Just my luck this would happen
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
default_sad.png
I feel bad for playing it off at first, never thought they'd be exposed to lice.. *sigh*

What does lice look like on horses? I just found wierd looking bugs on my stud today clipping him. They had brown bodies with white butts.

Back