Libraries, bookshelves, rooms with books...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score

I've discovered a new addiction (in my world, what's worth doing is worth overdoing!)...

Since we're in the early planning stages for the small house that we will build, I've been scanning the photos in Houzz.com for various concepts. As you can guess, one of my favorites has been looking at home libraries, book shelves, etc. If you love looking at books as well as reading them, this is a great way to waste time!

Here's a search that has me drooling:

http://www.houzz.com/bookshelves

Searching for simply "books" is also good, although there are a couple of photos where they have a ceiling high stack of books that look like they must be fastened together, which is simply wrong! "Library" brought up too many formal formal, stuffy rooms, but there are some good ones.

Oh wow! I'm sitting here wimpering in envy. Lol. Those make my little ol' bookshelf look pathetic.

DSCN8900.jpg

I especially love the ones that take up the entire wall. I would love to have something like that but I might have a hard time convincing my husband to agree.
default_rolleyes.gif

I don't think I would be any good at stacking my books like they did in some of those pictures. I'd always end up wanting the ones at the bottom. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, I was a dork and posted these on the wrong thread...but here are some of my favorites from Houzz:

I love this photo, even though the room is too contemporary for my tastes. Since I prefer small houses, I've always thought a formal dining room used only for eating to be a waste of space. On the other hand, a library table where you can also enjoy a great meal with your friend (and by this, I include my books...) is my kind of room...

http://www.houzz.com...oom-los-angeles

Ooooohhhhh!!!

http://www.houzz.com...ce-philadelphia

And here's one that is actually very much like what our library/living room will be -- minus the Eames chair...substitute a comfy overstuffed chair and loveseat.

.http://www.houzz.com...oom-los-angeles

I feel better now...

That room with the ladder - if my horses and chickens were outside that window it would be my perfect spot!

Going through the photos on the first link, you can certainly tell those who are the true book lovers, and those who just like the aesthetics of books on bookshelves.

Also, this is a serious time suck. ;-)

Yup.

You've heard the stories of people who order leather-bound books by the foot in order to look like they read...then there are those who have just a few books per shelf.

20 years ago I was advertising manager for a major northwest contemporary furniture retailer. They frequently sold "wall units," but never wanted them pictured with books -- only objets d'art... Drove me nuts.

As I've said, floor-to-ceiling books are my idea of interior design -- I do love the aesthetics of books -- but save me from those who just use them to "decorate."

My favorite comment when people come to my home and see my bookshelf is: "have you read all those books?" If they have to ask, there is no need to tell them about the stashes in the rest of the house! Amazingly, very few visitors actually LOOK at the titles. I am wondering if they think they are "decorator books"--that is something I don't understand: buying books just because the covers are attractive and not caring what's inside.

When I am furniture shopping I always look at the books in the displays. You know, they are never for sale!

I never thought of looking up book displays on the internet--it was fun looking at those links.

I agree, Marsha! Whenever I visit someone, the first thing I notice is their bookshelves and what books they have. It drives me crazy that my SIL, though a serious reader, hides their books away from public view. She once asked my sister why she would ever need more bookshelves (this sister has custody of our late mother's library and lives in our childhood home -- a houe bursting at the seams with books.

A person's book collection, especially the non-fiction, tells so much about their interests, what they value, and who they are. I'm also fascinated by what they have for bathroom reading... Our friends Shannon and Wes have the best collection of magazines and short books, tempting you to just sit and read...

default_drool5.gif
I saw this one on Pinterest....
default_wub.png

bookshelf.jpg

I'm deathly afraid of heights, but for a library like this, I would make an exception. At least I would die happy if I fell (or had a heart attack).
default_wink.png

Just give me an aerial harness and suspend me from the ceiling! I could spend hours upon hours arranging categories of books...

...or just imagine a floating (or hanging) overstuffed chair in which you could hover in front of your chosen category -- add a no-spill coffee cup holder and I'd have total bliss!

Eek, the image of being suspended in the air on a piece of furnature makes me quesy, unless of course this chair/couch was magical and tip-proof. Lol.

Latest posts

Back