Liability???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
Our town had a special 'flood forum' tonight. Fortunately, we were smart enough to NOT build in the flood plain. About 200 of my neighbors weren't (a few actually built on the channel itself) and are looking at flooding by tomorrow afternoon. About 50 or 60 of these properties are farms, and many have horses. I put my name on the list of volunteers, and since we are on dry land a mile from the channel, I said that I could house some horses temporarily if needed. My big horses are out on grass, the ponies are in the dry lot, so the barn is empty. This isn't a rain flood; it's a reservoir release flood, so my critters can safely be out.

When I got home from the meeting, I got to thinking that, although my heart may be in the right place, I may have just put myself in a potential sticky wicket. Could this be a liability issue? Is there some generic form I should have evacuees sign? I know there are some folks on here who helped with Katrina/Rita horses, thought I should ask before folks start showing up.

High and dry,

Suzanne

Suzanne :aktion033: for volunteering :aktion033: I am of the thought that if someone is doing me a favor and an accident happens, its just that, an accident. However I know there are people out there who think everything is a meal ticket :eek: I think its good you are looking into liability, just in case. hope no one looses their homes to this. You would think they wouldnt allow any building on a run off area.

Don't know the answer -- if i were doing it - I would ask

1) my insurance agent to find out about liability insurance for "boarders" and explain the situation

2) my county agricultural extension service - to see what they say.

jj

Latest posts

Back