Liability Insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Now that we will have horses at home instead of boarding, I guess we will need some sort of liability insurance. I know the chances of actually using it are slim, but its something we think we need. It will just be myself and my immediate family around my horses, but In the freak accident that a fence would go down and horses got onto the road, etc.

I know USEF used to give you liability insurance to a certain amount if you are a member, can anyone reccomend anywhere else? Again, we are just people having our own horses in our backyard in a rural area, not a lesson facility or anything of that sort.

What do you have for home insurance? If your insurance company offers farm coverage then they can likely provide liability insurance as well. That is what we have. We have farm insurance on our acreage--it covers the house, outbuildings, hay, horses, liability and a whole list of tack, equipment & other things.

We have our farm insured through Farm Family which insures all the buildings and includes liability on the horses. One thing I didn't know before we got this coverage is that your regular homeowners insurance does NOT cover you if your horse should hurt someone at a horse show, for example. The person who told me this was the Mother of the young child that I let use Target in a lead line class!!!

We are the same as Minimor, our Homeowner's has coverage for horses getting out and causing an accident or someone gets hurt on our property by one of the horses and so on. Our insurance is through New York Central Ins., and I think the "farm" coverage is included in the "red ball" coverage(I believe that is what they called it).

Definitely worth checking into
default_yes.gif

We have our farm insured through Farm Family which insures all the buildings and includes liability on the horses. One thing I didn't know before we got this coverage is that your regular homeowners insurance does NOT cover you if your horse should hurt someone at a horse show, for example. The person who told me this was the Mother of the young child that I let use Target in a lead line class!!!

Policies are all unique and different, you need to have a discussion with your home owners insurance agent first to see what is and is not covered. Our home owners insurance that covers our acreage did cover when a horse caused property damage. We were at a show, not a mini show or a mini horse. A rider on one of our reining horses backed into a car that was parked near the open warm up area causing a "but" sized dent in the side of the car. Our homeowners insurance covered all of the damage, no hassle, no question.

Jacki Loomis

I have my horses at home and they are covered under our home insurance along with the dogs and the kids (lol) If they hurt someone at school we are covered. It is called "home and family" here in Italy

Latest posts

Back