Leia - did Kody have the 2nd Surgery?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Hello Leia:

In your "secret" topic you mentioned that Kody is recovering from surgery.

Did you have the 2nd surgery performed? I saw the thread where you were talking about the first surgery not having the results you wanted --- and were considering the 2nd surgery - but must have missed your post saying you were scheduling it.

If you had it performed - when? and how is Kody? and when will you know if that worked??

Inquiring minds want to know - and are hoping for the very best!

JJay and Platinum

PS his new play buddy Pyro looks like he will be a hoot and a half to play with. He is only a YEARLING? He looks like Kody's double in the pics -- all grown up and good looking too!

Ok Ok OK -- silly me -- I did not search enough -- just found your topic from earlier this week:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.ph...=91388&st=0

Sorry for my oversight --- but how is Kody today??? and so glad you had it done! Hoping he will heal quickly and you won't be out of too many competitions. Knowing Kody (from what you have described) he will be burning up the dirt trails as soon as possible.

JJay and Platinum

Hehehe, you sort of answered your own question there JJay! Thank you for caring enough to ask though, it's appreciated.
default_wub.png
When I finally got home from work yesterday and went out to check him he was doing GREAT! No more lying down every few minutes or shifting his weight constantly from foot to foot and he was pawing at the door to get out the moment I appeared from the house. He's completely full of himself and when I cautiously decided to open the door and let him out (having put Pyro temporarily in the yard) he hustled up to the front fence at a fast stiff walk and then couldn't resist trotting along next to Pyro for a moment. Then he picks up this stiff little canter and charges me, tossing his head, and threatens to trick rear when he gets to me!
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH!
default_rolleyes.gif
I gave him a laughing evil eye and a firm command to keep four on the floor which he obeyed and we hurried up and got a halter on him before he could overdo it any worse. He's certainly stiff and sore and moving awkwardly but if he goes more than a few steps he walks out of it pretty well and it doesn't really seem to stop him like it did last time.

We were waiting to see how he felt before we determined his rehab schedule but at this point I think he'll be starting regular hand-walking pretty darn quickly. Spring is in the air and even with Pyro to distract him that stall is apparently feeling claustrophobic already.
default_rolleyes.gif
We'll get him out to graze again tonight and I'll hang a Lik-It to give him something to do when Pyro's not there, then tomorrow we'll cut the Bute to once a day and start some light exercise. I don't think it's going to take him long to be up and running again!
default_biggrin.png
How long it will take to heal and regain his fluidity and strength is another question but I'm feeling highly optimistic at this point as is Kody himself.

As for whether it worked or not...the vet of course had to add a tiny "if" to his statement but the fact is I've never heard of a horse it hasn't worked 100% on. We don't know yet what his final stride will be or if there's going to be any negative consequences from this but he hasn't locked a step since the scalpel made that flick. I wasn't sure the buckling he sometimes suffers from on the left hind was a product of that same ligament but I'm hopeful it was as I haven't seen him do that since either.

I'm really excited to watch him over the next few weeks as he discovers his new freedom. I think he's going to love it!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

Latest posts

Back