Leaves, leaves and more leaves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
All our corrals are next to trees, so the horses love this time of year. Instead of "hay" bellies, they have "leaf" bellies and many look pregnant, including the boys. Do leaves have food value to the extent that their normal food allotment could/should be scaled back as long as they are eating leaves? These are very healthy, green/yellow leaves and not dry and crisp. Can they eat too many leaves? As always, some "mini" people will have dealt with this subject and be willing to share. Thanks.

Sorry I don't know about nutrition but I have been told to be very careful about leaves. Here is a list of the dangerous ones just for you to check:

http://www.naturalho...nousplants.html

saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mostly poplar and manitoba maple leaves.

Our paddocks are very well treed (were woods at one time). Our horses do eat leaves. It worried me at first but no longer. We've had horses here since 2012 and we don't find any red maples here or from what we can tell, anywhere close. The horses seem to like the activity and hasn't had any negative results. We do rake up acorns as best as we can but some of our horses literally stand around and wait on them to fall. So I know they get some daily amount of acorns in bumper years. We think it bothers the younger horses more than the more mature, but have not ever had a serious issue either way.

I know what ur talking about! I have a stud who watches for them to fall so he dont miss a single one. I did however the 1st yr this started happening, called 2 diff vets out cause I was very worried about his huge belly. Never thought of leaves doing it. BUT tests did resault in him being somewhat anemic from it and retaining fluids. Otherwise fine just super huge. I too cut food back before because I thought he was over eating with the leaves BUT noticed about a month in how his topline was appering and altho big bellied, ribby and hippy as well. So Im going to say NO, there is no nutritional value in it at all. So do what I do, just keep feeding them their regular feed program and after winter hits, their bellies will slowly deflate as the leaves will all be gone. Plus then you wont be left with a fuzzy skinny horses in the end.

A couple have mentioned acorns. Are they bad for them? Mine too seem to love them and eat them as they fall from the trees. I have never noticed any bad side effects though...now I am a little concerned. They also eat leaves. I have always thought they wouldn't eat something that was going to hurt them, but guess that is not really the case.

Anytime we prune trees (elm mostly, some maple and poplar) we give the branches to the horses as a treat--but I don't know of any real nutritional value to leaves. Personally I would not cut back on regular feed.

Be VERY careful with leaves, ESPECIALLY wilted leaves. Know exactly what trees are on your property, or close proximity. I have my horses in a drylot with no trees. I have been battling Cyanide poisoning from wilted cherry leaves with my stallion for the past week. Odd part? I dont have any cherry trees. My neighbor who is uphill has one on their property, the wind carried a couple leaves down, and my horse who I nick named "hoover" ate them before we ever saw them in the paddock. My vet told me as little as 5 leaves could kill a big horse. A lot of people say they let their horses eat leaves, buy my horse nearly died eating a leaf, so its not something I would knowingly do.

Our paddocks are very well treed (were woods at one time). Our horses do eat leaves. It worried me at first but no longer. We've had horses here since 2012 and we don't find any red maples here or from what we can tell, anywhere close. The horses seem to like the activity and hasn't had any negative results. We do rake up acorns as best as we can but some of our horses literally stand around and wait on them to fall. So I know they get some daily amount of acorns in bumper years. We think it bothers the younger horses more than the more mature, but have not ever had a serious issue either way.
2012?????????????????you didn't think I was watching
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back