Leasing Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenasjbug

Reaction score
Hi. I was just wondering any advice anyone can give me on leasing out a horse (in this case it wouldn't be a Mini, but a riding horse) I know to have insurance and references. But what about a "down payment", this particular case will be a lease for a few months then the option to purchase. Does the money put down go towards the final cost of the horse? Should I get more money as a sort of "interest" I really need to sell the horse, but I know things are hard right now for a lot of people. I really want to get into miniatures but need to sell/trade this one prior. Would like to hear tips, ideas, experiences from people on both sides. For "using horses" and breeding.

Thanks.

Danielle

Promise Acres

I think the lease can be worked out to both parties' agreements prior to signing.

I think it is fairly usual to have some of the money that is paid as a "down" go towards payment for leasing the horse and that may or may not be refundable.

It just depends on the situation, but please make provisions for death and illness in your lease, and specifics as to care (such as farrier, vaccinations, emergencies, etc.) also a clause which states that they may not move the horse or sell the horse or do whatever with the horse without your prior written and signed permission, first.

I would also make sure that it is written in the lease that if at any time that you find they are endangering or neglecting the horse in question, that you have the right to take him home without notice, and their money would be non refundable.

Maybe others have some good input....

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back