Learning a second language? Has anyone done this?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhea

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had learned a second language (not in school) and if so, how did you do it? I'm trying to go on a world backpacking trip next year, and would like to have at least the basics in some languages so I won't be totally lost! Mostly looking at audio CDs and software - I'll likely end up taking some courses at our college, too, but if I already had some knowledge it would make it much easier. So, any ideas??!

My mother language in english but living in Quebec you have to speak french so just grew up with it. I also learnt spanish from books as I had a arabian mare whose name was part spanish, Pasos Flame. Pasos means steps or passage. I named one of my arab colts, El Primo. Which means The First as he was the sire and dams first foal. Also named a arab filly Fiesta.

Very interesting that you should bring this up. My husband is Romanian, and I am the only American in the family, I have 2 children, one has been to Romania already. My husbands family only speaks Romanian when they are together and his mother does not speak English. So we are planning on visiting them for Easter, as a surpise to not only my in-laws, but to my husband as well. We are all secretly trying to learn. I ordered a program off the internet, will keep you posted to see if we can actually learn how to speak it enough for them to understand us. Out of a family of 15 me and my 2 children are the only 3 that don't speak Romanian. I am sure it will be a challenge but how fun that they will have to really watch what they say since we can understand them!!!

Latest posts

Back