Laws pertaining to tampering with horses/livestock

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But if a person does put their hand through your fence, and the dog bites them, you could be sued. Even if they had no right to be there, even if the whole purpose of the dog was to protect your property. IF it is possible for people to get onto your property, and they are then injured by your dog, they can sue you.

Please do not put up "beware of the dog" signs, either (unless you do not actually have a dog- then you can put them up all over the place as a deterrent) as such a sign admits that you know the dog is dangerous and you can be accused of keeping a dangerous animal out of control!

Be very aware of you local laws, people, I know they differ form state to state and even form county to county, but it is a very good idea to be completely aware of what people can do to you , under the law, and get away with it.

And then they can sue you for being dog bit! Ugh, you can't win. Doesnt mean they will win the suit, but they can sure try, and sometimes they do win, even though they were NOT supposed to be there! NEVER post signs about 'guard dog on duty' etc... because that is admitting that the dog may bite or is for guard purposes. (Gee officer- they must have tried to hurt my dog- he is a beloved family pet and has never done that before!!)

I think putting something in your local paper would be great, and still hang those 'no trespassing' signs, because without them, they can claim 'I didnt know'

Back