Latest update on Pheobe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GOTTA ASK, WHO IS THE FARRIER DOING THE WORK? SINCE I AM IN INDIANA AND MY FARRIER IS IN NEW CASTLE AND CAROLYN (FRANKIE) NOW USES HIM ALSO. HE LOVES MINIS AND IS SO PATIENT WITH THEM. (JOHN MEYERS)

His name is Tim Tritch - he's a CJF and a wonderful person. Let me know if you'd like more information.

A couple of people have asked me where Phoebe is going - I didn't know until now...Gini just told me she'll eventually go to AZ! I'm so happy to know she'll be with one of the wonderful people who have made all of this possible! I almost cried when I read that.

It will be a while before she can make that trip...I know I'll cry my eyes out when it's time to say goodbye :no: . She's SUCH a sweet little girl and it amazes me that she doesn't simply hate people...she is so trusting and gentle. Of course now that she's feeling much better she has an opinion ~ she refuses to be alone and gets nervous when I am moving the horses around and hollers out to them (a couple of them have really become attached to her). I've taken her for very short walks outside, but it's still so very hard on her. She is basically learning to walk all over again - you can see that her shoulders have atrophied and she needs to slowly build her strength and coordination again. She is most comfortable and active on thick shavings.

It is a priveledge to be part of her life. She's a trooper...and she has the most beautiful little spirit...

I feel much better knowing where she's going. I thought I'd mention it since several people have asked me.

Thanks so much for letting me part of this everyone.

Tracy

Hopefully, Phoebe will be joining Joy with Stacy in AZ for rehabilitation. You all remember Joy

from Alaska who was rescued by a young lady. She drove her to MA's then I beleive they transported

here to Stacy's. Joy is doing really well in AZ and we're hoping that Phoebe will have the same

results as Joy. We're hoping the milder climate will help her in her recovery.

I'm so glad to hear, Tracy, how well she is doing! :aktion033: :aktion033: Just a thought - I was dealing with muscle atrophy on one of my horses a couple years ago, and I found that massage and heat therapy really helped her out. I also had a volunteer come over who practiced Felden Krass (spelling?) on her. She really looked forward to her massages, and she LOVED the heat therapy - not sure if it applies to your situation, but thought I'd throw out the idea. Again, she looks GREAT!!!

Take care,

Liz R.

Hello my old friends!

It's Lara from Illinois - I used to be a state coordinator. I think of the CMHR gang frequently.
default_yes.gif
:

As it happens Tracy is a member on a board where I am more active...exracers.com because my big horse is a T-Bred. (Mom has all the minis happily hanging out at her farmette in WI and they are GREAT!)

I just wanted to say thanks for everything you are doing for Phoebe. You are the BEST!

Hi Laura..

It's great to hear from you!!! :aktion033: Please come back often and let us know how you are doing!!

Your missed!!

Gini

Hello my old friends!

It's Lara from Illinois - I used to be a state coordinator. I think of the CMHR gang frequently.
default_yes.gif
:

As it happens Tracy is a member on a board where I am more active...exracers.com because my big horse is a T-Bred. (Mom has all the minis happily hanging out at her farmette in WI and they are GREAT!)

I just wanted to say thanks for everything you are doing for Phoebe. You are the BEST!

Today a little light bulb went on for Phoebe...suddenly her coordination started to kick in...my husband and daughter and I couldn't believe what we saw. Sorry if you are on dialup - I doubt you'll be able to view the 2nd one, it's pretty long:

This was earlier in the day (huge improvement over this morning)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tra...bo080306004.flv

And this was just a little while ago - she was upset because Remy was outside without her while I cleaned his stall (please excuse all the baby talk, we can't help ourselves)--

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v645/tra...bo080306003.flv

Just 7 days ago she couldn't walk at all. She had to toss her weight sideways to shuffle her front to the side. She could barely get her head higher than her withers and her tail was tucked between her legs like a dog. It took me 30 minutes to get her to move about 8 feet last Sunday (5 days ago). I'd say she's come a long way...I wish I'd had the sense to use the video mode on my camera before today :-[.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]tracerace- when I tried the first link it had your name and wanted your password. You might want to fix that. I'm glad to hear she's doing better and feeling better also.[/SIZE]

Christy

well, darn it! It worked for me...and here I thought I was being so savvy....
default_wacko.png
:

OMG I watched that 2nd movie 5 times and cried everytime I saw it. Tears of joy. It is absolutely wonderful what you have done for that little girl. Even the fist clip where she was limping was wonderful. Did the vet put her on anything for the pain? Probably not because pain will keep her from overdoing it. I am just so happy. Phoebe has the biggest and most beautiful eyes and they are filled with gratitude for what you have done. Please let me know about the bills so CMHR can reimburse/pay for them.

Ginny StP

Watching both of those made me grin ear to ear. :bgrin Her eyes tell you that she is extremely greatful for what you've done for her.

I measured her today...she's about 39"...

What do you all think she is? She looks Welsh - the more modern type to me...but do they come that small?

I measured her today...she's about 39"...

What do you all think she is? She looks Welsh - the more modern type to me...but do they come that small?
She very well could be a welsh shetland cross.....it is a popular cross and usually stays in the 39 to 42 range (at least in my experience).

I just love her and am sending alot of well wishes and white light her way. I still am quite worried for her........I was involved with one with feet like that (all 4) and as skinny as her maybe even skinnier.

keep the updates coming
default_wink.png
:

I am still very worried, also. She is very stiff these last 2 days...but mobile. I'm worried because I don't have anyplace except grass to exercise her...fine for her feet, but she REALLY wants to graze (can you blame a pony?) and I'm not sure if a couple bites is making her sore...or if it doesn't matter. The vet will be out tomorrow so I'll ask him.

Another comparison:

7/30

pheobe073006009-1.jpg

08/01

phoebo080106012.jpg

08/08 (today)

phoebe080806003.jpg

Could she be a little stiff and possibly sore from the moving she's been doing. I know if I don't do much for a few days and then try to "exercise" I get sore. If she has been standing for as long as she has....I would suspect sore muscle and feet from over use after non-use. (does that make sense?)

She does look like she is happier and getting healthier. If you look at the progression, her head gets higher every time you update her photo.
default_smile.png

Yep, her head gets higher (and she can really felx it now!) and that little flap of extra skin between her front legs gets smaller
default_smile.png
. That was something that amazed everybody - that she had extra skin like that. From what I understand, last spring she was extremely fat and foundered, out on grass according to the neighbors. So my guess is that at some point it simply hurt to badly to walk so she just stopped moving and the weight came off very quickly (just like with humans who end up with that extra skin when losing weight very fast without exersize).

I think maybe she is very sore from moving. She was real sore the day after I filmed her...and that was the most she'd moved. I hope that is all it is. Maybe some extra massages will help
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: Phoebe looks so much better now, in the first photo she looked like she had a roached back, must have been from pain, poor baby. But now she is holding herself so differently and she looks so much happier, you are doing a great job with her, please keep the updates and photos coming
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

Back