Latest update on Pheobe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
I'm in shock. He did a fabulous job...there is sole, there is live tissue and the hoof itself is "healthy" (except in that short hind foot there is a bad case of thrush which really hurt when he got into it because the frog is gone).

The battery went dead on my camera so I'll post more pictures later...

The job took 2 hours...when he was done she was weak and layed down. She tucked those little feet under her for the first time in who knows how long. That made me cry. Just to see her lay like a normal horse and not to have to have her leg cranked out to the side...it just warmed my heart.

The solar views of these feet are almost normal. The left front is a bit flat on the toe because it curled up so steeply. the right front is oval shaped, but there is sole,there is a frog...it's an absolute miracle.

Pictures to follow.....

I'm so glad to hear her feet are doing good, and that this may be her first step to a very happy and healthy life. Such a tragedy when people do such a thing. :no:

That is great news...I bet she loves you for it..
default_yes.gif
: She is on her road to recovery thanks to you... :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: She's going to come around nicely.
default_wub.png
: Great Job.....
default_yes.gif
:

Is anything being done to that guy that had her..(I know that it really doesn't matter because she is safe with you) He just needs to know how wrong he was for letting her get like that..

I got these two shots just before my battery went dead:

Front right:

pheobeaftertrim004.jpg

and then the little darling insisted on laying down...and I wasn't going to deny her of that
default_smile.png
. See how her feet tuck up under her? She couldn't even come close to that before. She would just stick them out sideways or with her knee up. She'll probably lie there for a long while! Her feet are blue form the thrush treatment.

pheobeaftertrim002.jpg

I am crying tears of happiness this time. Thought we had lost her after I saw those x-rays. Tracy you are an angel to take this little mare on and for loving her so. Thank you, Thank you.

Ginny StP

Tears of joy!!!!
default_smile.png

It's almost like a mirable looking at the before and after pics

Bless you!!!!! :aktion033:

Dancing with happy feet (no pun intended) :aktion033:
default_cheekkiss.gif
: and kisses to you Tracy for getting her on the road to recovery
default_cheers.gif
:

Your farrier is doing a wonderful job with her - you are very lucky to have him! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Liz R.

:aktion033: :aktion033: WOW is all I can say, what a difference, that mare must feel like she is in heaven with her own angel looking after her. Kudos to you Tracy
default_cheers.gif
:

Yvonne

OMG I can't believe how wonderful that looks! Your farrier is an angel! More pics! I love her name, Phoebe, perfect. Bless your heart for caring so much and saving her, she is very special.

Just a word of warning from experience...if he spent 2 hours on her keep a close watch for her to founder.......it would be a mechanical founder caused by the stress but I have seen it many times and it is better to be prepared than surprised as quick action (ie bute and soft bedding) can make a world of difference
default_wink.png
:

Those feet look great

I'm in shock. He did a fabulous job...there is sole, there is live tissue and the hoof itself is "healthy" (except in that short hind foot there is a bad case of thrush which really hurt when he got into it because the frog is gone).

The battery went dead on my camera so I'll post more pictures later...

The job took 2 hours...when he was done she was weak and layed down. She tucked those little feet under her for the first time in who knows how long. That made me cry. Just to see her lay like a normal horse and not to have to have her leg cranked out to the side...it just warmed my heart.

The solar views of these feet are almost normal. The left front is a bit flat on the toe because it curled up so steeply. the right front is oval shaped, but there is sole,there is a frog...it's an absolute miracle.

Pictures to follow.....

I have seen curled over feet before but never to that extreme.....what a wonderful job your farrier has done and of course what a wonderful person you are for helping this mare!!!

Champ

Quick update - (my daughter and I both woke up sick today
default_sad.png
)

Phoebe has manured all over her stall...I haven't actually seen her moving around, but there is the evidence
default_smile.png
. She was sound asleep, on her side when I went to check on her a few minutes ago. The heat index is at 109* right now so she has the 5 foot tall fan pointed at her. She gets very upset without another horse near her so yesterday I had Cricket, my POA next to her, and today her babysitter is Salina, a Percheron mare. When I was in there last Salina was peering through the grill (cocking her head to get an eye on here) as Phoebe rested close to the wall. Salina is a good babysitter and loves the little ones.

She lets me touch her legs today - she would nip at me if I touched her anywhere below the knee before - it wasn't an agressive bite, but a reflex nip because it hurt. I was gently rubbing them while she lay there and her bottom lip started to gape open
default_smile.png

Her face, shoulders and back look more relaxed. I promise I'll get more pictures - I feel guilty trying to ask her to move just for a good shot so I keep waiting for the right time
default_smile.png

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Look at this:

Phoebe on Saturday:

pheobe073006009-1.jpg

Phoebe about 15 minutes ago
default_smile.png

phoebo080106012.jpg

Oh! Look at her face! Can you hear her?
default_wub.png
: She is so greatful and content! Will you keep her?

Look at this:

Phoebe on Saturday:

pheobe073006009-1.jpg

Phoebe about 15 minutes ago
default_smile.png

phoebo080106012.jpg
Wow, look at the difference in her stance. She looks almost hunch-backed in the first picture; much more comfortable looking in the second. She also looks less drawn up in the second picture (I imagine she wasn't getting enough water before with as hard as it was for her to get around).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back