Latest update on Pheobe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely try massage therapy and a heating pad if you have one! It really helped my horse when she was stiff!
default_yes.gif
:

Liz R.

Now that her feet are so much better, she must be moving her body totally differently now. It would be understandable that she'd be a bit sore.......Kind of like when we excersize totally different muscles all of a sudden.

MA

Well, the vet just left...he was very pleased with her progress! And he says she'll be fine to travel, so Gini is arranging transport to the next phase of her recovery
default_smile.png
. My family is really going to miss her (my husband was a little upset, actually) but I don't think they understand how hard it is for her here with all this grass everywhere :no: . The vet doesn't think she should ever be able to eat grass again - the scar tissue in her feet have really compromised the laminae (and will even moreso as she continues to heal) and she will be extremely sensetive as long as she lives. But the good news is that it's controllable as long as she is able to move in a dry paddock. I think he's saying he wouldn't risk it since she's come so far - he'd hate to see a relapse.

I gave her a loooong massage this morning and she absolutely loved it. She sighed and her lip drooped (and she passed gas! LOL!) - and she even buddy-groomed me. When she first came we were so careful about how we touched her because it was just painful for her everywhere. I was so happy that she enjpyed it so much! I'll try to arrange for an equinemassage therapist to see her before she goes - she told me she would work on her pro-bono
default_smile.png

So...Stacy, if she's still going to stay with you, I will hound you for regular updates :bgrin . As will the Exracers forum where her story has touched everyone there. She's simply amazing...and I'm anxious to hear how she blossoms even more!

Oh, I forgot, while the vet was watching her walk in the aisle, Remy (pony gelding) stuck his nose out of his stall and nipped her in the butt so she kicked at him with both feet! The vet and I both got a had a good laugh over that...she is obviously feeling better if she can reprimand a boy for goosing her!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, got my smile for the day!!

Ginny

I love following along this rescue!

You have to get more pictures before she leaves for her new home
default_yes.gif
:

She has come such a long way with you already, she is becoming one lucky lucky girl!

:bgrin The thought of Phoebe chastising the naughty boy really made me smile :bgrin She has come such a long way from when you first got her, you have done a wonderful job
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Please do post more pics before she moves on and hopefully we will still be able to get updates after that.

Yvonne

Tracy, you can ask me anytime how she's doing! And a big :aktion033: :aktion033: to you for getting her this far in such a short period of time!!!! I am a big picture taker so I will definitely keep you updated! I am working on finding a transport for her right now. Will keep in touch with you!

Tracy, you can ask me anytime how she's doing! And a big :aktion033: :aktion033: to you for getting her this far in such a short period of time!!!! I am a big picture taker so I will definitely keep you updated! I am working on finding a transport for her right now. Will keep in touch with you!
Tracy,

Laughs! Stacy still keeps me updated on Joy! I love the pictures she sends and WOW! I wish I took that many of the horses! Never fear! Stacy is the best thing to come into my life and of course Joy's life. A real Gem to treasure!

And Tracy, Many Hugs to you!!! You are so special and have done so much for Phoebe! Another Gem is what you are as well!

Hey you guys, she's really sore back by the base of her tail - she'll switch her tail and stomp her feet at me if I rub her there (it takes some pressure though). She has never used her tail much but it's getting better. What do you think? I also niticed when I run my fingers down the bony ridge of her back there is a gap (the width of my thumb) right above the hip bones. I tried to see if this was normal by checking our other horses but they have too much, um, padding.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

She doesn't use her tail with much force at all - she sort of wiggles it (again, it's getting better...it's actually useful now). This really bothered me when we found her because the flies and mosquitos were so bad and I could see she wasn't using it to fend them off. Perhaps it's an old injury? Or could she just be extremely sore from the changes in her body?

Of course, only a "hands on" by someone knowledgeable with backbones could know for SURE -- but, my thought is like yours..........

She hasn't been standing correctly for a long, long time. The bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments -- everything in there! -- has been stationary for a extended period of time. IMO this malpositioning and lack of full range of motion plays a very huge roll in her comfort. It will take months of adjustment and slowly relearning to use and stretch her frame before she is able to work through this.

While we are very cautious with bute, and I realize that using pain meds can sometimes create overuse of areas not ready for use, in this case I would consider some mild pain assistance and antiinflammatory a great help to her. At this point she is NOT going to go running wildly around and create serious injury. So it would be something to allow her to move more comfortably and get the mild stretch she needs within the areas that are now compromised by non-use and atrophy.

Possibly something else -- plain aspirin, willow bark, devils claw. The latter two seem to be longer lasting and while not to be used in a PREGNANT mare, you sure don't have that to worry about. Thankfully. I have used B&L Solution (formerly Buteless) with very, very good results for such generalized aches. As a liquid, it's easy to put on their food and they seem to like the taste. Similar to my taking Alleve when I've overdone but know I must continue
default_yes.gif
:

Maybe you already have her on such a product.

You can already see from the pictures that she is beginning to hold her hind legs back where they should be rather than up under her, now that the front legs can hold more weight. That alone helps with the topline and the "hunch" she's eliminating is now sore. Well, that's how I see it -- certainly it is part of the cure and part of what she will need to be helped through to become well. Bless her heart, I KNOW she's grateful, even if confused. Guess I'd be confused too if after the years of enduring her situation an angel came and rescued me!!! Of course, she's confused. Probably can't even remember what normal is. But, I see her trotting along this time next year!!!!!!! :aktion033:
default_wub.png
:

Possibly something else -- plain aspirin, willow bark, devils claw. The latter two seem to be longer lasting and while not to be used in a PREGNANT mare, you sure don't have that to worry about. Thankfully. I have used B&L Solution (formerly Buteless) with very, very good results for such generalized aches. As a liquid, it's easy to put on their food and they seem to like the taste. Similar to my taking Alleve when I've overdone but know I must continue
default_yes.gif
:
I used BL-pellets this spring for my mini mare that foundered. She had to be on bute for a little while as it was the only thing that helped her, but after she was feeling better, I put her on the BL-pellets and she did very well on them.

:new_shocked: wow!

Thoroughly enjoying watching this play out! You all are a great bunch!

Back