Last Chance Blue Velvet 5/28/98 - 7/14/12 I'm heartbroken

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HGFarm

Reaction score
I am so devastated and wont get through posting this without breaking down again. I just purchased this mare this winter- she had previously belonged to other family members, who broke her to drive and had a lot of fun showing her and pleasure driving her. We loved her wonderful personality. She was then sold to another family for a couple of years before I saw that she was for sale again. I had plans on driving and showing her, and had bred her this year to my fewspot stallion for her first foal. Velvet was one that you could trust with anyone, and kids could literally climb under and all around her- she was the sweetest mare you could ever imagine. She LOVED playing in water and regardless of the size of the bucket- she was determined to 'swim' in it somehow.

Since I got Velvet this winter, she had colicked on me twice this spring, with a severe impaction. With immediate treatment, she pulled through after a couple of scary episodes. She was worm free, also was on a program with psyllium in case she had a sand problem.

This past week she colicked yet again. This time she did not respond to any meds or treatment. On Saturday morning, after being up with her all night on Friday night, I took her down to the hospital. I knew that she was not going to make it. The vet agreed, and Velvet was laid to rest.

I have cried all weekend long- I cannot believe that our beautiful and sweet Velvet is gone. I can barely stand to go out and feed with her missing. After crying for two days, I started to break down at work a few times today and think it's going to be a long time before I recover from this one.

Run free Velvet- you were SO loved and will be missed forever. She was one of the best.

Velvetdriving07.jpg

Velvetface.jpg

VelvetJuly12012b.jpg

Oh Laurie, I'm SO sorry. I wish I had words that would help ease your pain. {{{HUGS}}}

Many of us here have suffered this loss so we do know how you feel. What an incredible loss. Velvet was such a wonderful, beautiful girl that gave you many happy memories and was much loved as your family member. Please accept my deepest condolences. I'll be thinking of you.

default_no.gif
OMG Laurie, I am SOOOOOOOO very sorry for your loss of Velvet. I know how much you have adored her throughout the years, and how hapy you were to get to own her again recently. I am so sorry it has ended this way for you. HUGE (((((HUGS))))) coming your way.
default_crybaby.gif

Mona I have never owned a mare that was as sweet and willing and just plain the KINDEST horse I have ever seen. I am just so sick over this. It was one of the worst moments of my life. She will never be forgotten. To know her was to simply adore her.

Thank you all for your kinds words- I have not hurt to the core like this for a long long time.

Laurie, I'm so sorry about your loss. She truly looks like the sweet, sweet mare that you described. HUGS!

Laurie - I am so, so sorry for your loss and for your pain...
default_no.gif
May time heal your broken heart - it is so incredibly hard to lose the ones you love. I'm just so sorry...

Liz N.

Latest posts

Back