labor???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPs flat rock acres

Reaction score
Ok so my other mare is acting really odd tail up now down so I am guessing 1st stage labor?? maybe. she seems like she is in a little pain maybe hate to go bother her yet. flat rock acres on mare stare if anyone wants to see if I am right

We have a FILLY!!!!! finally after a long wait Jazz presented us with what appears to be a black filly. No white but the muzzle is grey Daddy is a few spot appy so who know what color she will be Any guesses? If appy when to the characteristics start to come out. I do believe she nursed a little now should one leave them to let mother nature do their thing or do you make sure that the foal drinks. she was under there and I think at the nipple eating. Pepper our other filly I had to guide to the nipple and then fianlly she took to it like a pro. I dont to interfer too much. Also when do you give shots? 6 wks?

I always go in the stall to be sure they are nursing. It can be misleading on cam where they look like they are but they are really not. I also make sure they urinate and pass meconium and give an enema if needed. Apply Nalvason to the navel, check the bite, check testicles if its a colt and rub them down to dry them off.

Once all that is done I leave them alone to bond.

If the mare was vaccinated 30 days before foaling then the foal is good.

There is a lot of new research about foals not needing to be vaccinated (other than tetnus) until 1 year but ask your vet

If she is really nursing they usually start passing it within the first hour or two. You will see her straining to go. Meconium is really sticky so it can be hard to pass

Is it better to let mother nature do it or do you sometimes for safty give them the enemia? How long would you go before to give one 1 -2 hours?

yes they can be black but the fun comes when you start clipping them. it is like christmas day becaue there is no telling what you will find. we just need pics of your filly. congrats

Congrats! Can't wait to see pics!

And yes, an appy can be born solid black, and will either color with time or stay solid black..

Here's my solid black appy colt (well technically pintaloosa as he does carry splash and is out of a pinto dam)

101_2740.JPG

He started coloring out at 3-4 months old.

Him now, 3 years old. Not the best to show him off but you can see the white up over his hips, back and shoulder, when clipped that area is roany with tiny black spots! And I expect him to have even more color this year!

165328_482541814612_224524494612_5886513_5969470_n.jpg

Many, many ongratulations on your filly foal.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Personlly I wouldn't panic too quickly regarding the first poo. Perhaps quietly go into the stall and watch carefully while she is nursing - you should see the foal swallowing (our vets say 26 swallows to one nursing session LOL!! I asked how often they had watched to come up with that exact number!) If she is drinking well then she should pass the poo within a couple of hours. Giving an enema can be very stressful for both the foal and the mare just around the time they should be alone to bond, and you will need someone calm and experienced to help hold the foal and probably a human baby type of enema.

Regarding spots, one of my 'spotties' didn't show spots until the Spring of her seond year, when suddenly she had little white spots pop through her dark bay coat - suprised us all as we thought she was going to stay bay!

Again, many congratulations!

Anna

I will post photos but boy does she look like your black baby WOW. I am hoping she will color out Moms solid black and dad is a few spot so really was hoping to get a leopard but no luck in that. Love to see photos of the baby appys you guys have and how they colored out. Can you post some? I will post photos and see what you think. She doesn't have any charactoristics but do they show up at a later time?

Back