KpM cams - Bug (the bulbous!)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
This is Bug.... she's by First Knight's Redi or Not... she's under 30". Her first foal died in utero, full term, and had to be pulled at the clinic because of his position and rigor. It was horrible. (and I've seen worse, but horrible is horrible!) Anyway.... 3 different vets including the ones who pulled the foal said "baby is not too big, she should be fine, go ahead and breed her back." I let her have a year off anyway... and then we tried to breed her to a different stallion who turned out to be sterile (he's a gelding and a kid's buddy now!)

So, upshot is, this is the first pregnancy since the horribleness happened, and I was nervous about it going in. Her last breeding date was in JUNE, 2012. Her "official due date" (342) is May 27th. LOOK AT THIS from 2 weeks ago when I clipped her body....
default_ohnoes.jpg

156071_10200817069378022_1839145832_n.jpg

735207_10200817069058014_861833878_n.jpg

So... I'm thinking she either got pregnant on an earlier cover and then kept letting herself get bred... or else we are in serious trouble! She is on cam just in case. Small bag, nothing to make me say "now". The baby was kicking the heck out of both of us while I was clipping her!
default_rolleyes.gif

http://webcam.kpmcornerstone.com:8080/home.html

She has a big horse feed tub in there because she LOVES it - plays with it, rubs on it, leans against it... AND it gives us a place to sit, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Back Karen, Bug is adorable and yes, somewhat large to be foaling in May
default_yes.gif
I thinki someone might have been sneaky
default_whistling.gif
I will add her to my list of girls to watch at night.
default_thumbup.gif

Hi Karen and welcome back! Now lets not panic yet! Yes she may have taken to an earlier service, but you state 342 (may 27th) as her due date, but what are you basing this on - her previous foaling? 300 days would bring her to approx mid April and at 300 she would easily have a viable baby (that's only a couple of weeks away!) so, if she doesn't have much of an udder yet, she could easily carry to end of April??

Just offering suggestions!! Also remember that the vets did tell you that the foal she lost wasn't a big one, so no reason to think she has a huge baby in there. Just trying to calm you down with some rational thoughts although I do know it doesn't really help when we are extra worried about one of our precious girls.

Will be watching her for you when I can and am sending you good luck wishes and prayers for an easy foaling and a healthy little baby.
default_yes.gif

What a gorgeous girl! I think she may be farther along too, but I'm no expert! I just had a thought, are you sure the sterile stallion didn't possibly sneak one in? Did you get an ultrasound done to confirm she was open before breeding her? Just some thoughts...but wow, I LOVE your pretty little mare!!!!
default_wub.png

No sneaking.... sterile stallion was gelded and sold 2 years ago, and Appy had no access except for hand breeding... so perhaps she took on an earlier cover and was playing hussy at later breedings.
default_doh.gif

Our earliest live foal was born at 292 days and just had HER first foal last year!
default_rolleyes.gif
Our longest pregnancy (not a mini) was 372 days.

Bug's bag is unremarkable at the moment... it's somewhat developed, but not looking "ready" yet... no softening of the hiney as of yet.

That belly scares me though!

Bug is 295 days along today. She didn't finish her breakfast, didn't do her usual mad dash around the round pen, yet she is not hugely ready bag-wise. Our earliest live foal was born at 292 days, so her baby *might* be OK if she foals after today... I'd rather she wait at least another week... but she is SO huge!

541559_10200948442702273_603764043_n.jpg

9956_10200948440822226_541387103_n.jpg

Keep us posted!! How is baby laying? Hard to tell from the picture -- looking like not quite into position yet? Hopefully she'll wait a bil and get a chance for that udder to grow!

I can totally understand your concern. I had a QH that had too large of a foal, and here I am with a maiden mini...
default_ohnoes.jpg
However, Bug's previous baby wasn't too big, so that should help you relax. She could just be too uncomfortable. We all have good days and bad days. Here's to an easy foaling!
default_pray.gif

Bug Update... (Bugdate?) - still hanging in there, back to her semi-spazzy self! Still so humongous that we took photos of her today with a skateboard tied to her tummy! Still tiny nipples in the bigger bag, so I want her to wait another week or two... but not to wait until her 342 due date (May 27th!)
default_whistling.gif

Here she is today....

902869_378732882235932_1190503924_o.jpg

Your Bugdate is hilarious, and some wonder why we are known as the Nutty Nursery
default_whistling.gif

Karen, who is she bred to again? Is it Woodstock's North? I've always admired him -- he's such a beautiful mover!

This morning Bug foaled a lovely (teeny) Colt we're calling "Bud" - From his hair coat, yes he's a bit preemie but WOW is he a strong little guy! Delivery was pretty textbook once she settled into pushing!

Bug wasn't sure about letting him nurse, so I gave him a supplemental bottle of banked colostrum just to give him a "reserve" of energy and such, and now they are both doing GREAT! *Whew*!

Better photos coming soon... for now? Yes, he's by Woodstock North's Who's Appy Now (not a white hair on this little dude, but who cares!)

922993_10201005423166749_608745185_n.jpg

Oh what a little gem - he's just perfect!! Well done Bug and many congratulations Karen.
default_thumbup.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Perhaps it was the thought of more antics with the scateboard made her decide that she'd better foal pretty quickly!!

Back