Knowledge and advice needed please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gimpyfarmgirl

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here - discovered this forum in my search for info. I am not new to horses, but I don't know a thing about miniatures. I was at a farm to buy hay and saw a little horse that was starving, no water, overgrown hooves. Spoke to the farmer, he wanted to get rid of it (thankfully) so I brought her home. After talking to the farmer, she has never had vet care, proper farrier care, kept alone her whole life and is prob close to 30. Could someone tell me what she is? I do not know if she is a mini or ?? I'm attaching pics of Angel. Thank you for any help

https://goo.gl/photos/kSCjy7Z8ijdswoGc8

https://goo.gl/photos/J7r1v5gRqfooBsRw9

I'm not sure if these pics will work, please let me know and I'll try again.

Talk to your vet about proper worming protocol for one that's never been dewormer, you don't want to do it too quick. Do NOT use Quest with minis, it's too hard to dose for them.

She'll likely need her teeth done, try to find an equine dentist with mini experience.

At her suspected age, she might not be able to eat long stem hay, so soaked pelleted feeds will likely be all she can eat. My first choice would be Triple Crown senior, it's complete and easy to digest.

Thank you! I had a vet out initially (2 months ago when I got her) and she has helped with the deworming....and she wanted to wait until she was stronger to do more.... Her teeth are a huge mess and the vet will be out this Friday to attempt to fix them. Its hard to believe there are people it there allowing this to happen.... She is such a sweet girl.

Last edited by a moderator:
What have you been feeding the last two months? How much?

How big is the mare?

I did not know that, about the hay. How can I tell if she is unable to eat it? What should I feed her instead? She is about 37 inches (is this miniature?) She also never had salt. I have been giving her small amounts of senior feed and hay. It was hard to see how underweight she actually was/is since her winter coat was so heavy. I estimate she is about 100lbs.

One reason she is so thin could be that she cannot eat properly because of her teeth. I know there are some vets who can do miniature/pony teeth, but I have not met one personally yet. They work on them, but when I discovered a real equine dentist, I was shocked to discover what was unfixed. Most vets just do not have the equipment to do small horses.

Do not know where you are located, but you can try an internet search for equine dentist. I think teeth are critical.

One way you can weigh her is to use a public scale, such as at a local grain elevator. It is free and very easy to do, if you can get her to the scale.

How much weight has she gained in the two months? Dehydration could have played a big part of her condition also. Will she/can she eat alfalfa? I am a fan of it for underweight horses.

If you don't get all the answers you want, do a search on this forum and everything you want to know has probably been asked and answered in the past!

At 37" she is still a mini, but just barely. Minis are measured at the last hairs of their mane, and go up to 38".

At 37" a healthy weight for her would be in the 325-375# range depending on her build. [i have 3 mares 38" tall, and they weigh 375-400#, usually, but at that weight last time I weighed them, they were a little chunky, they are probably a bit lighter right now, but I haven't weighed them to see.]

I would slowly work her up to the recommended amount of senior for a horse the weight she should be (depending on the senior, it's probably going to be at least 4-5# senior), continue to offer her the grass hay so she can at least amuse herself munching on it, even if she isn't able to actually eat it. For a mini don't offer her more than 2# pelleted feed per meal, you don't want to overwhelm her. [My tiny little senior stallion is just 31" and 175#, he gets 1.5-1.75# senior daily, 1 cup tim/alf pellets and free choice grass hay, I just give him a flake whenever he is out and replenish as often as necessary, every couple days usually). He gets a bigger meal at night, but will walk away when he's had enough and go back later, he's definitely not a piggy eater.]

Thank you for all of the info....I have a lot to think about. I didn't realize how underweight she is. I will start to increase her feed. I'm looking forward to the vet coming out this week, there are some strange lumps that need to be checked out too.

Just increase it slowly, so you don't overwhelm her, if you can give her several smaller meals daily, that would probably be better.

You got lots of good advice here that I can't add to.. just wanted to say bless your heart for taking this little one into your home.. Best wishes with getting her healthy and happy…

Hope your girl is continuing to improve...bless you for taking on an oldster. If she is having trouble eating hay you would find Quids around her area....balls of chewed hay she hasn't been able to swallow ... also be careful with the oldsters as they are more prone to choke because of dental issues...soaked hay cubes with a senior feed may be the way to go ... I have a 34 yr old mare who gets "soup" twice a day made of soaked alfalfa pellets and senior feed, she is fat and sassy and nickers for her dinner....in her case I have to be careful not to let her get to fat!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back