Kensington Winter Blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ

Reaction score
Talking about the different grades of blankets and trying to educate myself.

Is 600 Denier better than 420?

On the fiberfill...is 180 grams better or worse than 320 grams fiberfill?

Which grade would you recommend for a basic winter blanket?

Trying to understand the difference in blankets....which I asume is strength/warmth/breathability.

I need to have one on hand for when a mini gets sweaty after a workout in winter coat and needs to be blanketed.

I am in Iowa where we do get cold this time of year....10 above this time of year is a heatwave.
default_laugh.png

Thanks for any help.

Russ - I will try to help. The higher the number on Denier the stronger the fabric and thicker the fabric. The same thing for fiberfill - the higher the number the warmer the blanket. Of course that is not always true. You can have a lower denier with a higher fiberfill that is the same warmth as a higher denier with lower fiberfill (this is due to the denier being able to keep out wind and cold). You have to be careful if you put on a blanket when your horse is sweaty that does not breath - they will not dry unless the blanket breathes (even then be careful).

The Kensington blankets seem to be the best all around blanket for the money that we have found. We have worked out a few problems with them (eg short leg straps) and most people seem very happy with them. Kensington has made great quality blankets for big horses for over 25 years and minis for at least 6 years.

When choosing a blanket be careful to read all of the specs. Sometimes the waterproof blankets are backed with a coating that does not breath.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

I really like the polar fleece type blankets for when the horses are wet as they pull the wetness to the outside of the blanket while the inside remains dry.

I have a kensington blanket that I bought from Ozark last fall and I LOVE IT. Fits better than any of the other I tried. Just a word of advice, the schneiders blankets fit big horses GREAT, but never seem to fit my mini. It was well worth it for me to spend the extra money and get the kensington blanket.

One thing I would suggest that you do is if the horse is really sweaty, put the blanket on inside out, then when the horse is dry, turn it right side out and that way the horse won't chill keeping that wet against the body. Looks goofy, but very practical unless you have two blankets and can change them out.

I"ve been through a few Kensington blankets and they are really nice, well made.

My suggestion to you is not to ever blanket a hot horse. Get a cooler and start walking. A cooler will allow a horse to cool down slowly and safely. Ozark has some and I especially like their fly mesh sheets with the belly band that can double for you in summer months and keep nasty insects away. Very good investment and kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

After the horse is cooled down properly, then add your Kensington blanket.
default_saludando.gif

Kensingtons only, have 4 horses in the barn and a dozen Kensington blankets, when its super cold, they also get a polar fleece jammy underneath. like freshly shaven horse and below freezing. but buy them when they are on sale, great deals...

Schneiders has some great coolers for cooling out your mini after work. You want wool as wool pulls the sweat off and dries much better. They also have some of the best fitting mini blankets I have ever had. www.sstack.com is there web site. They are also very well priced!

I have both the Kensington Roustabout quilted blanket and the Kensington Roustabout waterproof blanket. The 600 denier waterproof blanket is definitely the tougher blanket but the 600 denier quilted blankets are standing up very well--they are what I have the most of, and they are the ones I've used the most. Ozark Mtn has them on their website but not in the catalogue...just saw that now. Last time I looked they were on special sale and were sold out of all the smaller sizes--now I see there is new stock, in all sizes--I highly recommend that blanket, but you sure won't go wrong with the waterproof one either.

I haven't used the blankets on a sweaty horse, but have put them on horses that have been out in the snow & gotten their backs all iced up...the blanket was great for thawing them out & getting them dried off--and then still keeping them warm, because the blanket does wick away the moisture & isn't left soaking wet. We're very cold here most winters, and I find that the Kensington blankets do a great job of keeping the horse warm, even in our coldest weather...note that I generally do not blanket my horses, but the past two winters I had a little lame gelding that couldn't move around enough to keep warm, so he was blanketed all winter. He really appreciated his Kensington blankets--I'd swap blankets every 24 hours. Fit is great too--stays in place even without leg straps.

Back