Keeping your miniatures

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Was debating in the back of my mind on whether or not to build on to my existing barn or to just add run ins and let them choose if they want to go inside or not.

So I'd like to hear from those of you who do have a stall for every horse, or have individual run ins, or have group run ins.

Right now I have a stall for every horse I have, but am debating on instead of building onto the barn, just adding run ins that I can lock them up in if need be (like snow or hail or ice).

Thanks guys!

Idealy if I could have it my way I would have a barn set up with stalls and have runs attatched so they can go in and out.

We actually have a bit of all of the above. The pole barn opens out to a large paddock area (where their hay usually is placed) so the minis can come and go as they please, and we have individual stalls available in the pole barn along one side.

I also have two large box stalls that serve as group stalls for farrier visits or whenever the gates need to be left open to move things in / out.

I do shut the minis in the large open pole barn area at night by simply pulling the barn door closed behind them. We live out in the country and do have a coyote problem so I feel better at night when they are shut in, even though I have not personally had a problem between minis/wildlife. Also shut them in when it is cold and raining or during a heavy wet snowfall.

My group of seven co-exist peacefully so this arrangement works here. I love giving them free choice and think they are good at deciding what they need. In the summer, they are all quite often standing in the stalls where it is darkest and the flies/mosquitoes leave them be and they normally come right in when the weather gets wet and chilly. They will happily stay outside, however, when there is a light summer rain, or a dry snowfall.

Their ages range from 6 years to 22 years and they seem to be happy minis

Based on my experience, I would consider the run-ins, especially since your barn sounds more than adequate.

Good luck and happy planning!

We have coyotes here as well, so all of mine come up in the barn at night just because it makes me feel better. All my paddocks and pastures have shade if they need it so I don't worry about anyone getting too hot.

I just know that several of mine will stay in the pouring cold rain unless I make them stay inside, so I'm thinking my best best would be run ins with the option of locking them in?

I know to add on to the existing barn would cost approximately $4000 for 5 stalls, and i know I could build a lot more run ins for that price

Wow! Costs just don't seem to go down do they?

I do think the runs with the option of locking them in when needed seems like a good solution for you and your minis - you can both get a good night's rest!

It seems that horses are more relaxed, physically and mentally, when they have the option to come and go at will for at least part of their day.

Your horses sound like they are well housed!

The weather channel just predicted a few snowflakes later this week...it is November, but it seems as if last winter just ended. May your SC climate stay mild!

I just posted pictures of my barn this week, so you can see pictures of it in the My Mini Barn thread. We have two stalls for our three horses: one for the gelding, and one for the two mares. The girls are the same age and have been together since birth and do not like to be apart. They even eat grain out of the same bowl (they have two bowls, but they just eat out of one together, then move on to the other). When they sleep, all three stand close together on the wall between the stalls. I do know if you feed yours grain, or where, but that would be my only concern with having them all lumped together. If we try to feed the gelding with the mares during feed time, he will kick them.

We have a stall for every horse. The stalls were built for and sized generously for full size horses. Nicky has his own stall. Our two girls share one stall; but when the weather gets bad, the girls' stall connects to another so I let them have both stalls. The girls and Nicky have freedom to go outside at will

When we first had minis, the first coyote we saw, my husband freaked and the coyote ended up shot. But I'm not into needless killing and based on my observations, so far I just don't see coyotes as a threat; unless the coyote is really hungry or more likely a really big pack o' coyotes. We leave our horses the ability to go in or out 24/7. ...even our blind horse. I just don't worry about coyotes. Cougar, yeah, the horsies would be toast. Coyote, nope.

We have a mixture. We have 6 mini size stalls we we use for the show minis and the dividers can be removed to enlarge them for foaling stalls. Then we have 2 12X12 stalls that can be used as foaling stalls but also open to a large overhang area (split) so we usually use them as run-ins. Then we also have a run-in (10X12) that we had for my big horse that now houses 2 geldings. We have a total of 13 minis in this set-up. Horses are only kept in stalls for foaling or overnight as even on the worst days there is enough space in the overhang area that no one is out in the cold. We also have runs from some of the stalls so we can isolate a horse if needed and can routinely separate the herd into 3 groups.

Horses do best outdoors as much as possible. Our barn is generally used only for foaling or other special circumstances. Every horse has access to a run in shed so they can get out of the wind or rain or snow if they choose, but they are outdoors in all weather - and we get a lot of weather. ;)

Personally, I like a combination of having a barn with some stalls AND Run-in sheds...That doesn't mean having a stall for EVERY horse.

But have stalls available for foaling, ill horses, or older ones, and then have sheds for each paddock or pasture.

I also think it's important to have loafing roofs off all sheds and the barn. I see our horses prefer just standing under

a loafing roof but not wanting to go totally inside.

We have two run-in sheds that we have turned into 4 stalls (10x12 and 12x12). The doors/gates are left open 98% of the time for the 5 of them to come and go as they choose. They definitely prefer. It does allow for stalling when needed though. If necessary, I can double up 2 of the 5 to get everyone in a stall.

That said, I wish I had a proper barn with a middle aisle. Some day!

Latest posts

Back