Keep horses safe during this hard winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky seven

Reaction score
Seven was racing around on the snow and hit one patch of ice that I didn't get completely covered with sand and fell hard. He injured his left stifle and is on stall rest for a few days. He has his toys and can look out but now that he's feeling better, out he wants "NOW"!!! The vet wants him to loose 45 pounds but I'm hesitant on putting him on a diet during this frigid weather. I think the 3 flakes of hay he receives over a 24 hour period is what he needs more to keep warm. I fixed his blanket and put that on him and the other horse didn't recognize him and went through the fences to get at him. He meant to hurt the "new" horse so I rushed in and took the blanket off and all was well, again. The bigger horse doesn't like blankets and made it super clear that he doesn't one on seven. I checked out the purina site to contact them about changing seven to the well solve weight control grain but see that there was a recall. Has anyone heard anything about that? What would you suggest I do about his weight?

During this very hard winter, I'm with you. Once spring arrives you can adjust his feed, but this is a hard time, and certainly the hay is helping him maintain his body heat. Time enough for weight reduction once the warm weather sets in, IMHO.

Sorry he slipped. Ice is very scary.
default_ohnoes.jpg

Im sorry your horse fell. I hope he recovers quickly. I agree with not changing his diet in winter. I would ask your vet about what mild/low impact exercise you can do for your horse to both help keep him in shape and prevent stiffness after recovery. For one, minis look fatter than they are in winter fuzzies and secondly, its better to work weight off rather than starve it off. I understand that excess weight is hard on joints, but reducing hay ration in winter will cause other issues as the energy used to digest the fiber generates heat. I havebused well solve weight control but I have to say I did not like my horse's skin and coat condition on it. I figured it was more beneficial to feedca complete feed with vitamins in a smaller quantity and adjust his workout rather than feef "diet" food.

What does he actually weigh? The winter hair is misleading! Just had one of mine to the vet this week and I put her on the dog scale. She is 32 1/2" and almost 21 years old. She weighed 237#, which I consider to be a fine weight. The first thing people say when they see her is "what a butterball". But 2"+ long hair all the way around sure can make for an optical illusion.

One of mine slipped in mud a couple of years ago and injured his stifle. He was 6 weeks on stall rest, and even had the stifle injection. Do try to keep yours an quiet as possible to speed healing. My boy is just fine now.

What big sillies they are, not to recognize their buddies in disguise!

I ditto not puting him on a diet during winter. I also ditto taking the blanket off.

Healthy horses with nice thick coats only need plenty of hay to generate warmth and

shelter out of the elements -- especially the wind.

I measured him this fall and using the weight measurement table on this site I would say he was around 450 pounds at that time. I think from looking at him that he has lost weight and he does have a long coat. I let him out today for 2 hours and he was much stiffer when he came back in, so back to stall rest and I am sorry for my mistake for letting him out He is a small pony in size at 9 hands and a large boned qh looking boy. Thanks for your feedback, I didn't think putting him on a diet now was a good idea. Enough time for that in the spring.

I measured him this fall and using the weight measurement table on this site I would say he was around 450 pounds at that time. I think from looking at him that he has lost weight and he does have a long coat. I let him out today for 2 hours and he was much stiffer when he came back in, so back to stall rest and I am sorry for my mistake for letting him out He is a small pony in size at 9 hands and a large boned qh looking boy. Thanks for your feedback, I didn't think putting him on a diet now was a good idea. Enough time for that in the spring.
You will have to harden your heart and keep him quiet, no matter how badly he wants out to play.

Do you use a slow hay feeder? Something to give him some occupation while he is resting? Perhaps you could use the time to work on a few easy tricks.

It is so hard to keep a horse that is used to being out and about quiet.

He may settle easier on stall rest if he hadva companion near by. Not in the stall with him, but if he is the only one in and his herd buddies are outside he may stress out more and be more likely to pace, paw the door and stall walk.

His stall is attached to a run-in used by his big buddy. There are two doors, one we use to enter from the run-in which is a half door and his door is a half door for him to use. They are both low enough to stick his head over. He has his toys and is able to look around and check out the neighbors plus the big guy spends lots of time in his run-in during this bad weather. His stall is 8 x 12, not sure how much I could do with him as it still is a little hard for him to turn. I spend time with him just grooming and talking to him.

Keeping him out of the wind is key. I wouldn't diet him either right now. But here's the thing: when you stuff him full of hay and he doesn't get to go out, you are leaving a chance of impaction colic so you have a problem in the making. Be sure he is getting plenty of warm water to keep things inside moving about. Maybe add a little warm beet pulp mash to his diet as well. As your vet if you can hand walk him a little bit daily if that would hurt. And no turns. Straight lines only. Good luck..

Right now its snowing out and the wind is blowing it around. We have heated water buckets that are kept filled for them to drink. On Monday, I'm checking with my vet to ask his opinion on turnout. I can't wait for this long winter to be over.

I don't have running water in my barn, but most of the time I use a hose from our house that I detach after I fill the buckets when it is cold out. During these really cold days and we have had record breaking cold spells for Va I bring them warm/hot buckets of water from the house. I usually do this first thing in the morning, mid day, when I bring them in for the night and again at check and lights off time. I don't mind at all since it's not too far to walk and I use the smaller buckets. They really love the warm water and seem to drink more if I do this!!!

Now some may say that is spoiling them they don't need warm water but I really think they enjoy it and drink more if it is warm. Although it still freezes overnight they have drank most of it. Does any,one else bring their horses warm water? And do they drink more warm vs cold??? I know some use the heated buckets but I don't trust my Misty she just is too curious and gets into too many things!!!! I would worry all night about her and an electric wire!!!!!

I only have cold water in the stable. But I have hot water and heat in the dairy barn. So when it is super cold, I fill recycled cat litter jugs with hot water and top off everyone's ice cold buckets with it to encourage them to drink. No, it certainly is not spoiling them, as drinkable water is necesary and without it they will colic from impaction. I only use heaters in big troughs where I can run the cord behind or thru the wall or fence so no one can play with the cord. I only use sinking heaters too, my jennys played with a floating one once and actually hot branded each other while playing with it. I still swear by bucket cozies. Even at 13º this morning there was only a 1/4" skim of ice on the buckets. The only drawback is that while they keep the water from freezing solid, it is still right above freezing, horses can get a bellyache from drinking super cold water and some wont drink. Thats why I top off with a bit of hot water. I pour the hot water over the ice and it quickly becomes cool drinking water about the temp of what comes out of the faucet.

I don't have running water in my barn, but most of the time I use a hose from our house that I detach after I fill the buckets when it is cold out. During these really cold days and we have had record breaking cold spells for Va I bring them warm/hot buckets of water from the house. I usually do this first thing in the morning, mid day, when I bring them in for the night and again at check and lights off time. I don't mind at all since it's not too far to walk and I use the smaller buckets. They really love the warm water and seem to drink more if I do this!!!

Now some may say that is spoiling them they don't need warm water but I really think they enjoy it and drink more if it is warm. Although it still freezes overnight they have drank most of it. Does any,one else bring their horses warm water? And do they drink more warm vs cold??? I know some use the heated buckets but I don't trust my Misty she just is too curious and gets into too many things!!!! I would worry all night about her and an electric wire!!!!!
I too bring my horses warm water..I board,but it is only a mile from the house.I rent the stalls and take care of them myself..I take a couple of gal. milk jugs full of very warm, but not hot water..I take my hammer and punch a small hole in the top of the ice in their buckets,then drain the unfrozed water into another bucket..I then bust all the ice out of the buckets then add the warm water first then top it with the water that was already in the buckets..I have to do this because the water hydrant at the barn has been frozen so I don't even bother with it..And yes,they love their warm water and drink it as soon as I fill it..I also take their beet pulp soaked in warm water.I have slow feed hay nets for big horses that I have been keeping full.I only have 2 Minis so the extra effort is no big deal.And I tend to spoil my animals also..hehehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Every place I boarded I had problems with frozen water buckets, at home we use the heated buckets with no problem. Both horses leave the coils alone and drink a lot of water. We change and fill them first thing when they are fed, again in the afternoon and at pm feeding. We check on them before bed and refill them again. I agree that they drink more in the cold weather, it's like us drinking hot cocoa to warm up.

My stall floors are cement so I'm thinking of adding stall mats along with the thick beds of shavings each get. Even the run-in is treated like a stall, full shavings and cleaned several times a day and evening.

I take hot water out every morning and three or four times a day if it is ridiculous cold and no sun to warm the water trough/pans. I do that for two horses and the goats. There is no electricity out there and I want them to have open water to drink for as many hours of the day as humanly possible.

Fortunately, we get a lot of sun most winters and it isn't a huge chore but it sure feels like it during those cold weeks of minus 7 overnight and less than freezing all day. We warmed up after about 3 weeks of that and now it is much easier with hot water in the morning and buckets from the faucet in the afternoon.

One thin I do is put straw under the water pans and troughs to insulate them from the cold ground. Seems to help keep the water from refreezing too quickly.

I do the hot water thing also. The place I board at, had their pipes freeze too, so I always take a gallon of super hot water with me, from our own home, when I know it is freezing temps. But once they got their pipes unfrozen, there hasn't been a problem getting hot water, so if their pipes aren't frozen, I use a bucket, that I keep in my car, to pour in hot water, twice a day for her. It is the only way she will drink the water. Also, using the ice chest, under her shelter, keeps it from freezing over until it is below about 22 degrees, then there will be a slight layer. Yep, my girl is spoiled too.
default_wub.png

MistysMom horses do not want to drink freezing cold water. You are in no means spoiling your horse, you are doing the right thing by providing warm water.Warming water encourages them to drink. If they find out the water is freezing cold they won't want it, therefore they can stop drinking completely and colic, so it is important they know the water isn't going to "bite" them. But here's the thing: hot water will freeze faster than cold, and you don't want it hot, so what I do is add warm water to their regular water to take the edge off of it so its not cold, just luke warm. I also am doing warm beet pulp mashes daily as a third feeding and I'm generous with the water making it sloppy on purpose.

Dont forget, when it is seriously cold outside and you have a long walk from house to barn, or you are melting ice with the water it goes from hot to luke warm almost instantly. So if u only start out with warm water by the time you get to the barn its cold. Yea, figured this out the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually, will take out a bit more of the water still in the tub, then I go and get around 2-3 gallons of hot water and add to the cold that is already in there. So it isn't actually hot by the time I get done, but like I said, since using the cooler/ice chest as a water trough, it doesn't freeze over, unless we get to almost 20 degrees, which we don't do often. This year has been an exception though. Funny...my first winter with Halo and have one of the harshest winters ever...well, harsh in December, then super mild right now...in fact, we need rain really bad. We are in a drought already and it isn't even summer!

Latest posts

Back