Just wondering how many actually know

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wee Horse Farm

Reaction score
It's a hard thing to accept, that someone you know has lost everything. Fortunately, I don't know anyone who has perished in Katrina, but I do know a husband and wife who have lost totally everything.

I sent a little money to them, but I don't have much myself, so what I could spare, they got. I know they need so much that they'll not see any near return to normal life for a long, long time.

The wife is in the Air Force, stationed at Kessler Air Force Base & was told, last I heard, don't move. Don't go anywhere. Hope they've changed that by now.

Her husband's business is totally dependent on electronics and electricity, neither of which they envision having again in the near future. Updates are hard to get.

What a mess. I just thot perhaps we might all console each other. Is anyone else personally touched by all this Katrina situation. Who do you know that's in the midst of it? So sad.....
no.gif

My brother and his wife live in N.O. near the Garden District. They evacuated before the storm hit. They haven't been back yet to see their home, but they don't think it was badly damaged. When they left they took only their dog, some clothes, important papers, and a few pictures. They're in Birmingham with my other bro and family.

My Husbands 96 year old Great Great Aunt and her 76 year old daughter were trapped in an apartment in New Orleans for four days until I called the Coast Guard and gave them their address. They then got airlifted out and flown to San Antonio, Tx. The Aunt suffers from dementia and is in pretty bad shape right now. anyone that knows what this disease is like knows that any type of change from the norm is a bad thing for the people that suffer from it.

They lived down by City Park and their home was flooded but we think still standing. The family got them to our home but he Aunt was in bad shape and needed to be flown back to LA to see something familiar to her. We may still loose her as she doesn't eat, she just talks about her house and going home. It took over an hour to get her out of the car when we got her to the house, because she kept saying take me to the airport I am going to rent a car and drive home. (she is confined to a wheelchair too).

My husbands parents are both from New Orleans. This has been a very difficult time for them, knowing how many cousins and family they have there.

I am unsure of your defnition of the word "personally" but I have been helping a group of 34 evacuees, all from New Orleans.

I have gotten to know many of them on a personal level, and I could just write a book with the stories each has told. Not to mention some of the bad treatment they have received after the storm.

Also Kbond has been helping some evacuees in her home town of LIndale, TX, and I am pretty sure that she has gotten to know those folks on a personal level too.

I rent out my back guest quarters, and woman who rents it (2+ years) is from New Orleans. Her family's house was hit hard, but it is still standing.

Her family is able to go back to their house this week - it was 7' under water. They lived in the upper part of the house, and the lower portion was the family business. They need to get electricity restored, tear out the walls, replace the A/C unit (I guess in that area the A/C units are on the ground, not on the roof like they are on California). Overall, the family is handling it very well, and my tenant is going to go to New Orleans next week to help her family with clean up, etc.

Oh, by "personally," I just meant that you actually have first-hand acquaintance with them. I'd say helping those folks is definitely personally. Bless you all. I hope everyone's lives (those who need help & those who are giving it) can someday get back to what would pass as "normal."

My dad's twin brother lives in New Orleans. He stayed at his home, they live on the west side of the town in Marrero which was not hit as hard as other areas. He has no electric and no food, and minor damage to the house but nothing major. He was listed as missing for nearly a week and half. We were sick with worry, my dad was beside himself till we found him. He is safe now, and able to eat from a gas grill and food brought by the more wealthy in the area trying to get rid of it from their homes. We are just so thankful he is safe and okay.

I just got off the phone with my tenant - her mom, who was in New Orleans, had to relocate to Houston. But now parts of Houston are being evacuated? I feel so bad for the poor woman...

She has a plane flight tomorrow to come out here (to stay with us), but will try to get a flight out today...

I just feel terrible for all the displaced people...

I just can't believe all this! Lots of folks were evacuated to Houston from Katrina...... AND hundreds and hundreds of ANIMALS were too. And now they all look like they need to be moved AGAIN!
new_shocked.gif

MA

Latest posts

Back