just venting about reporters

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
I do not understand why reporters always seem to try to find the people to interview that give an incorrect impression of people in Oklahoma. I swear, if the only way that people judged what kind of people live in a state by what they see on the news, they would swear that everybody in Oklahoma had no teeth, always have a chaw of tobacco in their mouth and all talked like they have no clue how to pronounce a word.

For instance, the guy they interviewed after the tornado that had the chaw in his mouth and stated that the ternader blowed the winders out of his truck.

I really think they went through the crowd of people after the tornado and looked for the hicks.

Am I the only one that notices this? It is not just Okloahoma either. It seems like that is the only type of people that the reporters try to interview.

Yes, I have noticed that. I think the reason I did..is because I am originally from Lawton, OK. and for YEARS after (including to this day...40 years later!) I have people ask me where I am from, usually meaning prior to living "up north" and if I say Oklahoma..they want to know how come I dont have a Oklahoma accent, and talk like THEY DO. ?????????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporters do that here in Kentucky, too! They always find the most redneck people to talk to. And I guess tornados only hit trailer parks because that's where the news crew always goes first.

I think it must be because the "normal" people are always busy taking care of their stuff and doing what needs to be done. And they are smart enough to stay away from the reporters. LOL!!!

I admit that I have that "okie" accent though.
default_yes.gif

I know how you feel. Try finding a calander with pictures of Nova Scotia that aren't full of shore-line houses on stilts, fishing boats, lighthouses, rocks and waves.
default_rolleyes.gif
default_biggrin.png

And no, we are not all French-speaking, we don't all say "eh", and no, we don't live in igloos all winter, and yes, we DO have a great summer season, thank you very much.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

I do think the media likes to promote/create stereotypes...this is coming from a California native who is not blonde, does not surf, doesn't do botox and does not live in Malibu! LOL!

Liz R.

I think as a general rule reporters look for the most unintelligent people to interview after something like that. It doesn't matter if it's the south, east, midwest, etc... I just don't understand why they can't seek out "normal" people.

I think it is a class that they teach to reporters "dumbdar 101". They opened the NASCAR Hall of Fame yesterday in Charlotte, NC. All the people they interviewed were the "typical redneck fan". They interviewed a man from OK who's roof had blown off his house from the "ternader" and said nothing was "gonner stop him from coming to NC for the Hall of Fame opening" Now that is a fan!

Guess they figure that is what people want to see.
default_rolleyes.gif

I live in Tennessee and I still speak English.

I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back