Just out of curiousity, is this common when judging shetlands?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunraye Miniatures

Reaction score
I was at an recent show, I mostly show miniatures but thought I would watch the classic halter class while I was there. The judges placed the miniature looking shetlands 1st place? Also the ones that were acting like, um idiots still place over the ones that acted decent. For one thing I don't at all understand why pick the miniature looking shetlands over shetlands that actually look like shetlands and IMO stand out more. Also I looked in the rule book and its judged on manners and performance and this one shetland was outrageous and would not listen but judge still placed it champion anyways. Is this common in judging shetlands now or what?

I know especially in the B size minis that the shetland look to them is hot right now, I agree they are beautiful. Not questioning that, in a way I think it improves the breed. But I don't see why you want miniature looking shetlands? Don't you want some diversity in the breeds?

Ok sorry just had to vent and just confused person here lol.

What do you mean by "miniature looking" versus "shetland looking"??? The judges should be placing the ponies according to the breed standard outlined in the Rulebook.

In my opinion... classic shetlands are pretty much "overgrown minis" anyway but they tend to be of better quality overall :new_shocked:

Maybe there is something your eye just isn't seeing? Or your eye is new to shetlands?

Andrea

The show that i last showed, was Royals first show. He was acting a bit Nutty because he isnt use to the show enviroment and being around other then other then my other geldings. Before i went into the ring i was told that the judges like to see the 'shetland spice' and to back him up in the ring if he mis behaves, the judges like to see that.

My shetland is 38'' and a classic, he looks very miniature horse like and he placed reserve champion (this was when he was acting a bit nutty to).

Classics are more fancy then Miniatures, but less fancy then Moderns. Showing a Classic is closer to showing a Mini then showing a Modern.

The biggest difference i see between mini's and classics (other then the fact they have different looks and builds normally), is just that Shetlands are a bloodline and Miniatures are a height. There are some other things that play into everything to though.

Leeana H.

i agree with disney that if you dont understand the different classes of shetlands it would be hard to watch and see what the judge is seeing. my expeirience is that mini looking shetlands dont place well in shetland classes but like any show its up to that judge on that day and what other horses are competing.

as for behavior. Judges will give more leeway to young horses vs senior horses. What age class were you watching??

I know especially in the B size minis that the shetland look to them is hot right now, I agree they are beautiful. Not questioning that, in a way I think it improves the breed. But I don't see why you want miniature looking shetlands? Don't you want some diversity in the breeds?

lets break it down. Why are the shetland/miniature papered horses hot right now? Because they have a better length of neck, better shoulders and in general better movement. NOT ALL OF THEM but a lot of them. You yourself agree that it improves the breed so why wouldnt someone want them to put in their breeding program?
default_smile.png
So I guess I dont understand the last sentence of why we want miniature looking shetlands? Keep in mind there are also amha/amhr/aspc registered horses. Not alot but they are out there

For those of us that breed them its a catch 22. Some shetland breeders really look down on the aspc/amhr horses and some miniature breeders really look down on the aspc/amhr horses.

For me I dont care if its a shetland or a miniature or a blend of both. Bottom line I want a conformationally correct horse that can move like a dream.

Back