Just got home from the Funeral Home

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraP

Reaction score
I know that the funeral director Mr Reed had to add more pages to the sign in book at least three times while we were there. The line to get into the front door was long. LOTS AND LOTS of people there. Most of Michaels teachers, classmates, and just buddies stood in groups just hugging each other and crying.

And the people just kept coming. As we entered into the parlor, it was obvious who was who even tho I had never meet Marty or any of her family members. Here stood a lady graciously greeting people, and sharing memories of a wonderful soul.

I signed the book, and signed from ALL THE FORUM MEMBERS, WE ALL LOVE YOU!! Also, gave Marty the emails that I had printed out before we left. To the left of the room was a beautiful powder blue casket, on top of that was a gorgeous spray of flowers, and a Jeans jacket with Michaels name on it. To the left of the casket was Michaels cap and robe from his graduation. Above the cap and robe was Michaels High School Diploma. We walked up to Marty, and I introduced myself, my husband David and my grandson Devon. Marty seemed so surprised that we came. She seemed okay, but you could tell she was well medicated. She introduced me to her husband Jerry, and then I turned to see this boy that just broke my heart, Daniel, he hugs hard, and you could tell that his heart just ached for his best friend, his brother. I couldn't at that time spent much time with Marty cause the line in back of me was growing fast. So, we just kinda walked around the room looking at the pictures of Michael.

In the adjoining room was a TV that had a slide show of Michael thru his years. showing horses, his Senior Prom, several horse shoes, him and his big horse in a baby swimming pool. Of course the ones of Michael and the kittens. I sat and watched that several times. Also, on floor in front of the TV was several trophies,and more and more flowers.

Finally Marty, was available to talk alittle more, so outside we went, I know her Dr was there, sitting on the sofa just kinda keeping an eye on Marty. Since Marty and I both have the terrible habit of smoking, we sat outsdie for a short time talking and having a much needed cigerette.

Its funny how medicated people seem to be so honest in there responses, cause she told me that she didn't know I was this nice. I told her about what all was going on, on the forum, she didnt seem to understand why so many people cared that much about her and Michael. I told her that everyone that couldnt make it, wished they could be there for her and they all wanted to let her know just how much she meant to everyone.

She is still looking for Michael to come to her. Bless her heart. She seemed even more medicated and I said goodbye to her at least 10 times but she had questions about when we lost Joshua, and that she didn't feel that that was Michael in the casket. I know what that feels like, I think its your mind trying to protect your own sanity. Its like you can only take in reality alittle bit at a time. that is very hard to explain.

Her daughter in law, is just an awesome person. Loves Marty, and is very concerned for her and Jerry. But I don't think we have alot to fear of Marty being alone too much, so many people were there do whatever she needs.

I am not sure where I got the courage to go into the funeral home but I am sure alot of it came from Joshua. I am just glad that I was there!! I felt honored to show my respect to such an awesome young man.

I have blisters on my feet. and very tired. I know I covered such a small portion of the funeral but can add later if anyone wants me too..

She knows you all love her. and she needs our prayers.

Lara and David Pier

Thank you so much for attending and for posting about it. I, as many of us, truly wish I could have come. I know just what you mean about not believing that it's truly Michael in the casket. We had a closed casket for my brother and to this day I keep waiting for him to come striding in the room grinning and messing up my hair wih a "hey sis" like he always did.

Marty will need the support so much after he shock and the meds wear off and it truly hits home what happened. My heart just aches for the entire family.

Bless you Lara for having the strength to go and carry our love and support with you.

Bless you Lara for having the strength to go and carry our love and support with you. I COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF, i feel so sad for marty right now, and i think this forum is amazing, lara godbless you for your kindness,im sure marty will never forget you for it...........

Lara

You are truly an inspiration woman. The majority of us would not have been able to do what you have just done, given the loss of your son, Joshua. I, for one, am a blubbering mess just reading your post. Well done. I agree with the other members, Marty will NEVER forget your kindness at this time of need and neither will the other members on this forum. Regards, Kerrie

Dear Lara,

Thanks for the "ALL".... it was loving and generous of you. I am so glad that you could be there for Marty. She is such a loving and kind woman. I'm just another blubbering mess too, just reading your post. I am so glad that you did keep us updated. God Bless you.....

and especially Marty and her family....

She is in our prayers.... and her family too...

Lynn W

I am blubbering as well, have been ever since I heard about Michael.

I just can't seem to stop welling up a couple of times a day.

God help this family and thanks for going to be with them.

Hugs

Bonnie

Thank you for that descriptive walk through. I felt as if I were there seeing those things. I appreciate you going and doing this, but my guess is Marty appreciated it more. You know about loss, you know about fear. You were a perfect person to be there for Marty. Thank you and God Bless

THANK YOU for being so strong and going to represent our whole forum family. That was very generous of you to do, and I am sure it was very hard for you to do. I am so glad to hear that Marty wont be alone duing the following days, and that her doctor is keeping a eye on her. Her daughter-in-law sounds like a wonderful caring person. Corinne

Lara you gave all of us the most precious gift of self sacrifice by going to the visiting hours. I am so proud of you for having this kind of courage and I know your Joshua was watching and was sooo proud that you overcame your fear and did this for all of us. Only you or someone like you who actually has had to walk this path can truly reach Marty's heart in the days to come. Thank you So much.

Lara

We have email each other several times. I so want to THANK YOU for being there for all of

us. You will never know how much this means to us who can't be there.

I know this is so hard for you, I know this is bring back so memories for you. I only hope

this will help you in healing. I know today, if you go, it will be so heart breaking for you. If

you don't go, I would so understand. If you do go, please know in your heart we are there

wtih you, trying to be anyways, to give you strenght.

I so want to Thank You for telling us all about your trip to the funeral home. I know again

this is so hard for you and your husband. Thank You for making us feel like we there with

you. For giving us details. For siging the book for all of Lil Beginnings, for being there for

Marty, for Jerri and for Dan. I know this day will be so hard for them, for Dan to say good bye

to his brother, for Marty and Jerri to say good bye to their son.

God be with all of you today

Vicky

Lara I am so very proud of you. I wish my stupid phone battery would have lasted so we could have talked more last nite. I know how hard it was for you to go into that funeral home- dealing with someone so close to home - in so many ways so simular to your recent loss and you found the strength to go. YOu and David did great and I am sure it meant so much to Marty to have someone there to be able to ask questions and to know truly understands.

THANK YOU for going- thank you for representing us.

I am glad to hear many showed up I knew they would but also know it was Martys biggest fear that no one would come. I am also glad to hear they finally medicated her and hope others will be around to help her and Jerry and Dan take care of themselves.

Laura

Thanks for being OUR representative. I know how much it took out of you to go since I talked with you yesterday morning. I hope you are taking care of yourself as well. I appreciate all you have done in the support of Marty, Jerry and Dan. Only a parent who has walked in Marty and Jerry's shoes can fully understand their pain, anger, and the huge hole in their hearts. Only you and David and others here who have lost a child can truely know the long road they have to travel ahead of them.

I know how much you had to dig down within yourself to reach out to Marty and family and it was something you TRUELY WANTED AND NEEDED TO DO for Marty. The time you spent talking with Marty will mean a lot to her in the days and weeks ahead. I know your words and your compassion will be of some comfort for the entire family.

Thanks for letting us be a part of the journey even though we could not be there in person.

Continued prayers for all of us in this time of GREAT NEED.

Davie

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Lara, thank you for "taking us all with you", I know this had to be an emotional roller coaster for you and I truly want to thank you for representing all of us forum folks who couldn't be there.

Hugs to you dear lady.
default_yes.gif
:

Lara, thank you for representing us at the funeral home. Many of us would have loved to be there for Marty and are so greatful you were able to go and let her know we are there for her, if even from a distance.

My deepest sympathy to you for having to relive you loss but my deepest appreciation in being our representative.

We won't be going to the funeral today. And what a beautiful day in TN. I don't think Marty can take two days of me in a row.

As many of you all know when tragedy like this hits someone, RUMORS FLY.. We were told Joshua, was thrown from his vehicle, ran over by his car, not once but three times, and then throw back in his car. It sounded like the Kennedy bullet at first. Of course this rumor was started by the young crowd aboard Joshuas ship. Joshua was not throw from the vehicle at all, but was barely in it when the accident was discovered.

This person or persons that hit Michael, left the scene of the accident on FOOT. Left the car, in the middle of the road, and took off running. Of course they tracked the vehicle back to a woman. Marty said the car was NOT STOLEN, but she had let her boyfriend borrow it. The police in Pikesville are getting all the evidence together before filing charges so that they have an airtight case. So no one was ever arrested at this point.

I have to be careful what I post as I know later Marty is going to read these and I don't want to upset her. There truly was some problem with identifing Michael at the hospital in Chatt. He was listed as a John Doe. Mr Reed, the funeral director, said he called the hospital to make arrangements to pick Michael up, but the hospital informed him that they didn't have a Michael Garrison there. But did have an 18 Yr old boy, that fit his description. That is one reason why Marty is doubting if that is truly her boy. As they had a closed casket, Marty didn't see Michael. AND has no desire to see him. Like she said, not like that. But Mr Reed, who is a very close friend to the family, and has seen Michael many times, told me there is NO DOUBT that this boy is Michael. I suggested to Marty, to have Mr Reed take a locket of Michaels hair.she liked that idea.

Marty, had her moments of humor also, she told me she would love to come and see our horses, cause she was a nosy person. I told her she was more than welcome, but then told me that she can't drive very well and only goes 45 miles per hr and people honk at her and give her the finger.. Of course, we all laughed at that. I believe as time goes by that Marty will accept that she did bury her son, and she does trust Mr Reed.

But, I will be honest, I did take Mr Reed in the back room with door closed, and told him that we have been in close contact with the National Funeral Directors to STOP the TN Donors Assoc, from being able to hold up the funeral to try to persuade familes to donate bones and tissue. He told me that several times they had held up his ablitiy to even clean the body up for over 12 hrs. That is not ACCEPTABLE. In the state of TN, the hospital HAS to call the TN donors Assoc or they will lose state funded monies. He told me about some ways that he got around that, which I will NOT POST as I don't want to get anyone in trouble here. But he too is on OUR SIDE. And also, the TN Donor Assoc needs to be more HONEST, and more detailed in what the TRUE procedure is. That is our crusade with Joshua. I am not talking about ORGAN DONATIONS, we are for that. That truly saves lives, but skin and bone DOES NOT.

I am sorry I truly have gotten off the beaten path here. I am glad I went, but will tell you all, as we walked iinto the funeral home, that smell, I am not sure if its the flowers or what, TURNED MY STOMACHE, I started to turn around, I felt David grab my arm, so I did continue in. But it was close.

I told Marty I will be here for her in anyway I can be. But she needs you all.. The hardest parts in my opinion have yet to begin.

Thanks for listening

Sorry for the rambling But I wish my ears would open back up, the Mt roads caused my ears to pop and they won't come unpoped..

The Piers

[SIZE=14pt]Lara, I know how hard it was for you to go there and relive all this...... you are a good person to support Marty this way. IT is going to be very hard for Marty to accept that this is Michael without actually seeing him so we will continue to pray for her and her family.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Lara,

YOU ARE SO BRAVE and SUCH A GOOD FRIEND!!! God Bless your heart for being there for Marty, answering her questions as best you could, and most of all for just being you! I cannot imagine the personal struggle it must have been to go into that funeral home, your strength is inspirational and your heart is true. Bless you for being so wonderful and strong, and for helping someone else through a nightmare that you know all too well. Thank you for signing for all of us, I really wish I had been able to come. I am there in thought and prayer.

Thank you again Lara, You are an amazing lady!

Jodi

Latest posts

Back