Just for fun

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
O.K. sad but true...from where Im sitting I can see several ways I have used baling twine just in this room.

Its holding up my closet pole that needs to be fixed ( its been 6 mos now )

I have a mess of computer wires that I have tied up with baling twine.

A couple pictures on the wall have B.T. on the back

I have several stacks of magazines that are getting dropped off at Goodwill...they are tied w/B.T.

Not in this room but poor granny's chair that she left me has a couple broken legs that need repairing so they too are tied just enough to keep it from falling over...Lord forbid if someone sits down on it. Alot more uses in other rooms but Im too embarrased to say! LOL

So how many ways are you all putting baling twine to use inside your home??

Well, the only thing I'm using twine for right now is a trellis for my cucumbers to climb up, and I used a few pieces to make tails on wooden mice... Sounds like you are a champion recycler, littleribbie!

I don’t think I’m using it in the house too much—currently have a twine on the back door to keep the storm door shut—the latch broke the other day & I haven’t had a chance to get to the hardware store to buy a new latch. There’s a piece in the front closet, holding up the hook that my Double K clippers hang on. I think that’s the only two pieces of twine currently being used in the house!

I do use twine to tie the garbage bags shut when I set them out by the road, and there’s a piece of twine under the hood of my truck, fastening the rad hose up to another hose—when I replaced the rad hose the new one was leaning over a little closer than I liked to the fan; I’m sure it would have never touched the fan but it made me feel better to tie it back with the twine. <VBG>

Baling twine makes great chew toys for dogs. Take 3 pieces and braid together, then 3 mor and braid ,and 3more and breaid, then braid the three braided pieces together. I tie knots in the middle and ends to give the dogs something to hold on to also lets me hold to and play tog a war with the dogs. They can also chew on it and it takes a long time to chew thur it.

Baling twine makes great chew toys for dogs. Take 3 pieces and braid together, then 3 mor and braid ,and 3more and breaid, then braid the three braided pieces together. I tie knots in the middle and ends to give the dogs something to hold on to also lets me hold to and play tog a war with the dogs. They can also chew on it and it takes a long time to chew thur it.
I'm going to have to try this one. Alot cheaper than those rope toys.
default_yes.gif
Thanks for sharing.

Please be careful with the chew toy made from twine idea. This came up on another board some time ago, and one person pointed out that some dogs may very well eat the twine as they chew on it—as she pointed out, “zippers” tend to run in the $2000 or $3000 range if your dog happens to ingest some strands of twine—it is much cheaper and safer to buy an actual dog toy. Some dogs may be okay with a twine toy, for others it could very well be fatal.

Another heads-up for the twine used as a doggie chew toy.
default_unsure.png
I know the hemp form of baling twine is treated so as to make it more rot resistant, and to help prevent rodents from finding it a tasty snack. I wouldn't be surprised if the plasticine type is as well.

As I look around I see a piece holding a water bottle to a dog crate. I also see three pieces that have a small loop tied in them. They were instant leashes last night after chores when the neighbor dog decided to join us and taunt my dogs. (The only way to get them safely in the house in a short amount of time was to leash them.) Insert end into small loop and voila! Instant leash. I also have a piece on the grooming arm of the table. There is usually more, but I have been cleaning the house.

Fun thread. Thanks!!

Good ideas. Gimp, oh the "generic leash"...made me laugh b/c the painter was here a couple of days ago and brought his dog....I made him put a twine leash on him b/c he was looking at the horses as his dinner!!

It is always good for temporary fixes. We also carry it in the camping gear to tie up trash bags and such. We also have a 20 x 30 tarp we tie from trees while camping to give us shade in the hot summer months but also protect us from rain especially during hunting season.

It's rare that I do not have several pieces in my truck.....it's a staple at my farm
default_laugh.png

So far, I haven't needed it in the house....so far
default_rolleyes.gif
but, it's evident in many other temp situations (OK, some not so temp!) for holding a fence panel in place, a gate closed, a bucket still, etc. It's strong, disposable, totally stops the mower when you run over it and hang it in the blades
default_wacko.png
Great for typing a tarp if you need to secure it anywhere...even over a trailer load of something.

I make tub scrubbers by looping it and tying it, then scrubbing the water tubs. It's pretty useful for a lot and you don't feel at all bad when you cut it and discard it! I always keep a few cattle and/or hog panels around for some of those emergency fence repairs -- held in place by the hay twine.

Hey, I'm here alone -- WORK -- and you all know that any fence/gate emergency happens 98% of the time when you are least expecting and most unprepared with TIME to fix!!!

Another thing I recycle are some feed bags. I use Blue Seal Sentinel Sr for several of my olders and that is a lightweight but strong bag, somewhat waterproof, and large. They are excellent for trash, yard clippings, transporting several pads of hay, easy to fold and store, etc. Yep...recycle & save.

Bess I LOVE the scrubby idea for buckets and the like...Im sure I have enough to ball up and make a decent sized one, thanks!! Just used a couple yesterday to tie up the dreaded fly catchers!

I usually use it for a temporary fencing fix, but I have been known to wear it as a belt, too.
Yep! Quick fence fix here too. Other then that I pull all 3 off and knot them and put them in an empty grain sack.

Latest posts

Back