Just curious...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
Just curious about something when buying sight unseen (just pictures and such, but not meeting in person).

Have you ever bought a horse long distance and had a personality conflict with it once you got it home? Were you able to work through it with time? Or, did you end up reselling the horse? Or other solution?

I've bought half my minis via e-mail/phone, but most were young, so fit right in. Bought one older mare that I saw in person, it took her awhile to settle in, but nothing bad. Bought one stallion by picture only, he was slow to settle in, but is such a nice boy, although a little nervous. The rest were young, so not too set in their ways and they are all just wonderful and took to life here just fine.

I've looked off and on at horses on the internet, and aside from transport costs, have often wondered if the ones I like would settle in and be content here or if there would be personality conflicts and what to do should that occur. So, thought I'd just ask the forum.

I bought 2 minis sight unseen except for pics. One was 2 and the other was 3. They both fit in just fine.

For the most part, no conflicts with the horses we've bought long distance, sight unseen. Some arrived with issues, but when it comes down to it I can get along with just about any horse, if I choose to. Some are definitely more difficult than others--some are just a lot more work than others to get along with them, but if I put my mind to it I can get along with them. It jsut depends if I feel the horse is worth the extra effort.

We got one older mare one time that turned out to have some quirks. For myself it wasn't a problem--she was a full size horse, bought as a riding horse. I rode her and there was no problem, but there was something about that mare that I did not trust. She was just a little "cold" and I had the impression that if she ever decided to be disagreeable she would cause a major wreck. Would she ever have caused that wreck? I don't know, but since she was meant to be a riding horse for my mother, who was in her 60s at the time and no longer up to riding any broncs I wasn't going to take the chance. We traded that mare off for a younger gelding--also made the trade deal sight unseen. The gelding was a much better deal, though he proved to be rather a boring horse...when we were downsizing into Minis he was very saleable, so we sold him to someone that absolutely loves him. He's sensible enough for his new owner to ride, yet he's a big step up from her former horse and she doesn't find him boring at all.

We also had one young gelding--he wasn't purchases sight unseen but about the same difference--we did look at him before we bought, but as a wild weanling out in the pasture with his mom you couldn't tell much about his personality. He was delivered, still wild & not halterbroke...we kept him until he was two & liked him, but he was a lot of work. He was extremely smart, and used his intelligence to look for ways to avoid doing any work. Taming him down & halter breaking him was easy enough but when it came to starting his ground work for saddle training, he started trying to outsmart me. Every lesson was like starting over. We'd work through one issue, then the next lesson he'd have thought of something else to try out, and we'd have to work through that. It was a lot of work for not a lot of progress and he wasn't a horse that I enjoyed. We traded him off for his paternal sister, to someone that really needed a using horse that could work hard--that horse was much more appropriate for that sort of rider than he was for us. Serious work gave him something to put his mind to besides trying to get out of basic training!!

With the minis, we've got some here now that we aren't thrilled with their personalities. (They weren't purchased sight unseen, but even if they had been the outcome would be the same.) They're more work/less fun than our others. Even so, we like the little dudes & have gotten attached to them, so aren't likely to part with them. They will stay here, even if I do threaten to try and trade them off for something else. One is so nice we'd have gotten him even if we'd realized what his personality was like before we bought him. The others....we might have been inclined to pick something else. Now that we've got them, though, we'll keep them. They wouldn't like going anywhere else now!
default_laugh.png

Once I bought a filly long distance and didn't really click with her, but this is out of many long distance purchases I did get along with. Also, with this filly, I always felt if I had tried harder with her, things would have worked out -- but on the other hand, I have so many horses I just click with from the get go. I had a hard time motivating myself to take the extra time with her. I ended up trading horses with a forum member, this filly for a mare (Trooper's dam, but her rejection of him had reasons unique to this time). The new owner of this filly LOVES her and has trained her to drive and do in hand performance. She describes her as her most willing horse!!! And I love my mare
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
So it really worked out well all around.

I got 2 three year old shetland mares (from the same farm) long distance, they have been wonderful. I think alot depends if you feel you can trust the seller to be honest about their personalitys and quirks. Plus, now I have a long distance friend!!!!

When buying long distance, and I have bought 3 just last year (one was a mare in foal), all I had was one horrible picture. And when I got them home, it was hard to tell whether the mare was going to work into the herd or not. But she finally did and I have her and her 2 year old daughter and the foal she was carrying, also a filly. And I can't believe they are here and mine.

I have also let go of some very precious family members, but feel and know that they got the better end of the deal and are now way across the country from me. I keep updated with their new family through two forums. And happy to report they are doing way better in the show ring with the new family, so I am very happy. And I made a couple long distance friends!

I know I am always skeptical when emailing back and forth. And I have a lot of questions on the phone. I probably drove the person I bought the 3 from last year nuts, but I am so very happy they are here and when I opened the stall door to look at the mare (I went to get them myself), I was so completely happy I bought her.

We have a total of 41 horses and those not foaled on our farm were all purchased out of state. They come as far as Indiana, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Ohio and lower Virginia (over 3 hour drive). I did actually visit Penn and VA and see them first but it probably wouldn't have mattered - as I got tons of pictures and information and lots of emails between before I ever made the trip to see them and decide. Even then, we made a second trip to pick them up.

All have become friends and we continue to email and keep abreast of the ongoings in eachothers lives - horses and non-horse related topics as well.

I have returned to PA many times for more purchases and I expect to again purchase from IN and ND again as well - sight unseen.

When you're seller is honest and willing with their time and you have a good experience the first time - - I return. I know their stock and how they care for them and their breedings so yes, I will return again to IN and SD (despite the shipping fees). I look at other long distance farms too and will some day purchase from them - sight unseen - but I assume that a reputable breeder will be honest and treat me right if only to protect their image and reputation. A satisfied customer is a repeat customer and a repeat customer is good advertisement (words I wish to live by in my own breeding program).

I have not been disappointed once in any horse that I purchased through email - call it luck maybe - but I think the breeder has alot to do with it too. It helps too when you tell the breeder/seller up front what you're looking for. While there are certain criteria that must be met in a horse we wish to purchase for our breeding program - I admit that TEMPERAMENT and disposition are very high at the top of that list as we are a family farm with young grandchildren and frequent visitors and we pride ourselves in the loving and gentle horses that we have. So far, every single one has fit right in completely. Just be up front with your breeder/seller in what you are looking for and they should be able to match you up with the right horse.

I have had such great experiences with all my long distance purchases, that I hope to treat my buyers the same way and see them as happy as we are with the sales.

EDITED TO ADD: I might add that I always converse on the PHONE a couple times too before finalizing the deal - email works great for sharing information about the horse - but I do like to talk to the human at the other end - and that gives them more comfort in who I am as well. so while sight unseen maybe - it's not 100% only by email.

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW what a loaded question.

I have bought just about every one of my horses Miniature and large with out ever meeting them first.

Out of about 25 purchases this way I have only had ONE that I didn't click with and wanted to kill her and she wanted to kill me which is what made me want to kill her. I found her a wonderful home as a 4-H kids horse. I was 100% honest that the mare and I didn't not like each other and actually I would say bordered on hatred for each other. I never did anything to her but it was an INSTANT dislike.

I have had one mare who was taught to PLAY as a baby rearing up on people and striking at them and all those CUTE baby things. But as she got older it wasnt so cute and then she started getting into trouble for doing what was encouraged when she got mad about getting into trouble for something she was told was okay before she started to get a little mean about it. And actually started hurting people. When she did that they started beating her because she was hurting people so they hurt her back and it just kept escalating from there. I knew when I took the mare. The people were very honest. Their trainer was the one that started getting after the poor mare. The owners couldn't stand watching it anymore and paid to ship her to me and signed her over to me. As far as they all were concerned the mare is useless and not even worth the paper her papers are printed on. She arrived with marks everywhere. Lash marks everywhere an injured eye and no trust in anyone and scared I had the vet drug her to check her injuries got them all cleaned out he loaded her on antibiotics just to make sure they wouldn't get infected and I left her alone. Feeding and caring for her daily. I made her isolated she could see and hear the other horses but she couldn't touch them. She would try and attack me while I cleaned her stall or if I had to lead her from point A to point B it was a GONG show. It was about 6 months or more but now 1 1/2 years later the mare is the sweetest and most snugly WELL behaved little one with everyone big or small. UNLESS Your a farrier. I have spent the better part of 1 1/2 years trying to find a farrier that wont feed her need to be a little Dramatic when getting her feet done. I have finally found one and he was PERFECT for her pretended all of her DRAMA wasn't happening and wouldn't pay attention to her behavior and by the time he was done her second foot she stood there like a dream and never tried anything else. This mare what she does is tries to get you mad so you do what she is sure you are going to do. She keeps pushing and pushing until you get mad and hit her because that's what happened. So the more frustrated you get the more she gets upset and acts up. So if you don't allow yourself to get upset or frustrated and just laugh at her or pretend she doesnt exists she gives in and has wonderful behavior. But try telling a farrier not to react to her.

Other than those two horses I have had absolutely WONDERFUL horses bought from nothing more than pictures and the ODD movie clip.

Some of them have started out shy. But once they settle in they settle in in a BIG way.

I had a quarter horse filly that I just did not get along with. My X bought her for me for a gift and she was a very nice horse but I couldn't warm up to her for some reason. She did nothing wrong and was exceptionally nice. I broke her out, showed her, did very well with her in the ring and still just didn't "love" her they way I wanted to.

Most of my mini purchases came from out of state and were very young at the time of purchase so I had no problem of them fitting in. I have a couple that know how to push my buttons too, but nothing I can't live with. I learn something new from each time I make an online purchase. Pictures are good and videos are better. I would really prefer to travel wherever I need to go to see the horse in person but usually not feasible before bringing them home. I encourage buyers to visit here also to see if they can get along with the horse they may be considering. I do think matching a horses temperment to someone's personality is important.

Thank you for responding. The stories have been very interesting and something to consider when you buy long distance and can't visit.

I have three horses that I got without meeting in person and love all three! But all three have been very young weanlings when we got them so that makes a big difference on how well personality wise they fit in. Conformationally by the pictures I received I am even more happy. I do know deals go wrong for one reason or another that even happens when you meet the horse, which happened to us. Owner did not disclose some past medical history, but overall I have been happy with our purchases.

When we sold our biggee to get a buddy for my mini Giddy, I was looking everywhere online and close by. Went to visit some..

Anyway Marty emailed me to check Chances site, then she emails me that they have a new rescue, jsu tin and havent even put him on the website. I took one look at him and KNEW I wanted him, any problems or whatever! Hubby was alittle worried but then Marty and I kept emailing and I jsut kept seeing Pals eyes and KNEW he was meant to be here.

So I only saw pictures, no visit in person...

I am so grateful Marty told me about him and he came to live with us
default_wub.png
He has fit in so well here and is a real Beauty...

I want to add that for me, it has been very neccessary to buy long distance in order to get the horses I wanted. I would not have found most of these "kinds" of horses locally. I've bought from KY, AR, MO, WI, ME. In terms of quality of the horse, I have never been disappointed with what has arrived. Just one personality conflict that I felt would have worked through if I had done more to try and make it so.

I bought 2 horses from ND shipped to FL. Not happy with either one. Told seller i wanted them to show in halter and maybe take them to nationals or higher some day. Ha! I'd get laughed right out of the ring if i took them in. Not show quality and not breeding quality either. Just two very expensive pets with champion pedigrees. Pics and videos all looked really good. But after they got here i re-watched the videos with a friend and it was pointed out to me that when the camera was zooming in it immediatly went to the face so you couldnt really see how the legs looked and a good picture of a bad horse is all about angle. You can make any horse look good with the right shot.

I'm very leary about buying sight unseen ever again. some people are honest but so many others are not. Its often hard to tell which is which.

We have purchased most of our herd sight unseen except for pictures. I have some mares who came here as what I call pasture mares who did not enjoy being handled daily but they all give in eventually. I would say the most standoffish mare is now the Baby of the barn. She is so non offensive and loves family however she still isnt crazy about visitors to the barn and will stay at the back of her stall. You can look but dont touch. She also wont come to the fence when out in the paddock if there are people she doesnt know visiting. All the horses we have purchased were well represented by the owners except one and she was local and we were new to minis we did see her but that didnt tell us what she would be like during foaling. A bit of a nightmare. I still think they become what you want them to be if you spend the time and get to know the owner before the purchase via e-mail phone or facebook. Usually instincts will serve you well.

I purchased both my minis sight unseen from a long distance away. It took me months to find the right horse, months more to get to know the breeder through emails and updated pictures. I spoke to probably 20 breeders who had great show records and beautiful horses and sometimes one phone call was enough! They either came across as interested and honest or not!
default_smile.png
Anyway I finally found someone who really cared that I would love her horses first and foremost. I never had to ask for detailed pics, the honest breeder/seller will send them to you because they should want you to be happy! They will put up with your hundreds of stupid and not so stupid questions
default_rolleyes.gif
and give you honest advice, not just what you want to hear.

So I am very happy with both my guys and would do it again...but listen to that inner voice that lets you know whether you trust and like the seller, then you will probably trust and like the horse because he has been raised that way.
default_yes.gif

Most of our horses have been bought long distance on photos only and so far I am happy with all of those. I agree with White Tails Minis and Calmolly, ask lots of questions of the seller so that you almost know the horse before you purchase. The one horse that I ended up unhappy with I actually met before purchasing. She turned out not to be a good mom although she was a sweetheart till that point. She beat her foals up, and that I just couldn't live with.

Through training I occasionally meet up with a horse that has a personality trait I don't like but I have only met 2 horses in my lifetime that had NO redeeming personality characteristics. Quite often if you sit back and work out why the horse is behaving the way he is you can change things and find the horse of your dreams in the one you already bought!

I bought every horse I have sight unseen. In So Cal most of the horses were not what I wanted and were very expensive-now years later there are some big trainers with show quality horses in the area but they were not there when I was

In Idaho well in this part of Idaho there were no breed shows period until a couple of years ago so not what I wanted here either which meant I had to learn to ask the right questions, be very clear in what I wanted and take a leap of faith.

All in all I have been very happy - sometimes I knew I would be getting a horse in rough condition but that is easy to fix- others I had heard the seller had horses larger then stated but I was ok if that was the case. I had a couple horses I was not pleased with and that were not what I had expected but in over 14 years of buying that is not a high percent at all. In reality it was my own lack of proper questions and proper pictures (not the pretty professional video or photos) that led me to be unhappy with what I got.

My last purchases from Wild Oak and from Taylor Pony Farm went amazing could not have asked for better and both horses were much more then I expected.

For me long distance purchase is the only way to buy to find what I am looking for

I buy most of mine through pics, my oldest mare I've bought has been 11 yrs old. No problems for any of my older girls. They seem to know the horsey rules and adjust in time.

Virtually all my horses are bought long distance, and in all the years, only two (both sisters!) have arrived that I had problems with.

They just walk through people like they were air.

Wouldn't you know it, they both produce outstanding foals!

Latest posts

Back