Just curious

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
Like I said, I am just curious.

Can a silver dapple have a black mane and tail. I have only seen them with flaxen or white.

If so can someone please post a picture so I can see?

Thank you much
default_saludando.gif

Joyce

No, they cannot have a black m/t. Just flaxen / white
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they can have darker (not black, per se) manes and tail;s, sorry Jill, you forgot about Cream, didn't you??

If a horse has Cream + Silver the white/flaxen in the mane and tail is sometimes inhibited, and you get this sort of "self" coloured animals.

And of course in Morgans and other BH breeds, some horses manes and tails are SO dark you just would not believe they have Silver at all....Equine Color has crashed, so I cannot give you examples, but you might try here:

http://www.silverequine.com/index.htm

They have quite a lot of good examples....

Yes, they can have darker (not black, per se) manes and tail;s, sorry Jill, you forgot about Cream, didn't you??If a horse has Cream + Silver the white/flaxen in the mane and tail is sometimes inhibited, and you get this sort of "self" coloured animals.

And of course in Morgans and other BH breeds, some horses manes and tails are SO dark you just would not believe they have Silver at all....Equine Color has crashed, so I cannot give you examples, but you might try here:

http://www.silverequine.com/index.htm

They have quite a lot of good examples....
No, Jane
default_laugh.png
I did not forget about silver + cream dilute. Our National Champion / National Grand Champion "Destiny" is just that... I couldn't forget him
default_biggrin.png
Yet he has a mane and tail that are a shade or two lighter than his body (dare I say flaxen). His mane and tail are absolutely not black, as was the question
default_smile.png

Destiny%204.jpg

Destiny-2008-Nationals-1.jpg

Destiny's mane and tail certainly not Black, but neither would I describe them as Flaxen, and certainly not white. I like Jane's description of "self colored". While it is not the exact shade as the body, I would consider it closer to Black than to White or Flaxen.

default_smile.png
and I'd consider Destiny's mane and tail closer to flaxen than to black --- and I still think the answer is "no" there are no silver dapples with black manes and tails ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flaxen

flaxen: (adjective) of hair color; pale yellowish to yellowish brown

To me, looking at Destiny, yellowish brown is a pretty accurate description when it comes to his his flavor of flaxen ... along with beautiful that is
default_biggrin.png

Here's my stallion. I've always referred to him as silver black. When he was younger his mane and tail were pure white but take a close look at the picture below. You can see the lower part of his mane (even though it's onthe off side) is darkening. It's not black but it sure is grey mixed with white now.

2008%20Awesome%20jumping%20with%20Cassy.jpg

061407guthrieltrot2c-200.jpg

OK, NOT a Mini!!

This is Champs Guthrie, QH, and I really would not describe him as having a lighter mane and tail.

It still is not Black, though.

Mind you, Silver Buckskin can and does have jet black mane and tail on occasions, and tests+ for Silver........

OK, NOT a Mini!!

This is Champs Guthrie, QH, and I really would not describe him as having a lighter mane and tail.

Has that quarter horse been tested to carry the silver gene? Looking at the site you pulled the picture from, it says so but the report link doesn't work. That's a very interesting example if he's silver
default_yes.gif

Mind you, Silver Buckskin can and does have jet black mane and tail on occasions, and tests+ for Silver........
I've not seen a silver buckskin that did not have a muted mane and tail, except in cases where there's been a dye job or spray-on black.

We have a silver buckskin whose main and tail are a VERY dark brown... that is easy to mistake for black. He has not been tested yet, but since he is definitely more brown than black, and his mom is a silver bay (we have her too), I'm pretty sure he's silver. I can't post pics, but I'd be happy to email some to someone who can post.

We have a silver buckskin whose main and tail are a VERY dark brown... that is easy to mistake for black. He has not been tested yet, but since he is definitely more brown than black, and his mom is a silver bay (we have her too), I'm pretty sure he's silver. I can't post pics, but I'd be happy to email some to someone who can post.
Your guy may be silver, but a silver bay horse that is not homozygous for silver can just as easily produce a non-silver foal as a silver foal.

I would be happy to post his picture for you -- my email is [email protected]

Here is Jennifer's buckskin boy, Danny. I do agree with her and think he's silver buckskin
default_yes.gif

Jennifer-Danny-1.jpg
Jennifer-Danny-2.jpg

Jennifer-Danny-4.jpg
Jennifer-Danny-3.jpg

Yes, Champs Guthrie has been tested for silver and is positive. His mane and tail are a bit lighter now but he is a gorgeous horse!! I love him. My mini guy is colored much the same way that Guthrie looks now. I would say his mane is flaxen.

OK, NOT a Mini!!

Has that quarter horse been tested to carry the silver gene? Looking at the site you pulled the picture from, it says so but the report link doesn't work. That's a very interesting example if he's silver
default_yes.gif

Yes he has been tested +...I would not have put him up as an example otherwise
default_wink.png

I've not seen a silver buckskin that did not have a muted mane and tail, except in cases where there's been a dye job or spray-on black.
Yes, I have, personally, and can also, personally, attest that NO dye job had happened.I actually know of quite a few, but only know a few of them personally, but to the extent where I will actually now say that in an adult animal Silver can have little to no effect at all on the colour.

Latest posts

Back