Jury Duty

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was summoned for jury duty, my first time. Yesterday I went to the courthouse. There were about 40 of us. The clerk drew names randomly and I was one of twelve called and interviewed. Only 6 jurors were required, and I was not dismissed. Some of the jurors interviewed talked alot and one got argumentative with the counsel. I can see that if one wants to be on the jury, one should say as little as possible. I was too scared to say much. It is awe inspiring.

So our case was determining if the defendent was competent to stand trial. We listened to pschologists and lawyers for hours! I'm glad we got it over in one day; I was exhausted.

It was good to come home and play with my animals.

I've gotten summoned for it a couple of times and would like to do it, but have been unable to because of business obligations (I'm key to the practice and our clients). My MOM would love to do it, and never has been summoned!
default_sad.png

I've been summoned about 10 times...I've only been selected once to serve on a jury and the prosecution never showed. I always get dismissed due to things like: my father serving as expert witness in many gun trials, family member who is a warden at a very large prison, house being burgularized, etc...

I was summoned once, but it conflicted with my class schedule at college so was pardoned. My grandfather has done jury duty and afterward the judge thanked everyone for giving their time and told them to tell the people they knew that doing jury duty is very much appreciated and to do their best to not come up with excuses. Next time I will try my hardest to make the time.

I know it's my duty, but I absolutely can not stand Jury Duty. I got the oh, so nice pink letter three times to get called on. First one I made up an excuse not to go, second I was actually away at school in another county and third I actually showed up. Sat through everything the first day and then when the judge asked if anyone would have a biased opinion or judgement I raised my hand to be excused. Just not for me.

Many folks do not get paid by their employeer for jury duty so it's a hardship for them...the court will pay them mileage and a small amount as payment for going but it's so minimal it certainly doesn't make up for a days pay...I can understand why many wouldn't want to go...plus you have to drive to the 'city' which I despise...lol.

I'd like to do it for real, but it's not possible. I need to be available to my clients during business hours. My staff are not licensed and cannot make trades or give advice.

I served once on a civil case...yuk. I served a three month term (a few day session each month) on grand jury which was interesting since you decide if there is enough evidence to prosecute and sometimes there are sealed indictments. I have been excused from the last several calls. I have never been a juror on a criminal trial though.

Many folks do not get paid by their employeer for jury duty so it's a hardship for them...the court will pay them mileage and a small amount as payment for going but it's so minimal it certainly doesn't make up for a days pay...I can understand why many wouldn't want to go...plus you have to drive to the 'city' which I despise...lol.
I have to go to the small town that I grew up in because it is the county seat. Not much traffic and 7 minutes from work. I know most people working at the courthouse and am certain to run into lots of people I know. Lol. My employer still pays me but my work stacks up.

Well, it wasn't like I thought it would be. It was actually somewhat scary and sobering to think of one's responsibity. The respect for a jury is incredible. Everyone in the courtroom has to rise when we enter or leave. We actually gave the verdict, not the judge. It is a serious duty. I will certainly be more respectful in the future.

I had made up my mind I would not do it if the case was something horrible, like child abuse. But this one was not harrowing. We sort of knew that it was not something gruesome by the questions the counsel asked.

Another plus was seeing the demeanor and conduct of the local jailors. They were all respectful and seemed very conscientious. We learned a little of what a prisoner does every day.

And, I actually got to stay clean and cool all day! I even put on my face for the day, knowing I would be able to keep it on all day without it weeping down in the heat. But, give me the outdoors, heat and all, any day over being indoors.

I've not been called, but hubby has several times and always during calving and about half the time we are also snowed in, so can't go.

I got my first letter for jury duty this spring. I was so excited! I had always wanted to do it and I had never had the opportunity. Here, you just have to call in the night before the dates they give you and see if there is a trial scheduled for the next day. Unfortunately, it must have been a slow two months in my little county, because I never got to go. Maybe next time! Although since my father is a retired police officer and is still a current part-time deputy and is well known by the judges and prosecutors in this county, I probably wouldn't be allowed to stay anyway, especially if it was a criminal trial.

Barbara

I am self-employed, and I certainly do not get paid for jury duty; it can mean losing current and potential clients, so it is a true hardship yet I've done it twice. It is not only our responsibility, but it is very educational and interesting. I was just summoned again and was terribly disappointed that, due to the economy, the court could not pay for a cab as they had before, and therefore I couldn't participate (my lack of peripheral vision prevents me from driving).

my boss is a criminal defense attorney. i usually sit in on jury selection and we pass notes back and forth..."yay or nay". it's a fascinating process and one that our legal system is built on. i've heard every excuse in the book that people use to avoid serving. all i can say is that if i was on trial, i would want my jury to be made up of people who WANT to serve, not people who would be holding a grudge because they HAVE to serve.

for obvious reasons, i will never be chosen for jury duty even though i would love to do it!

I have a relative in the prosecution's office. That may have kept me from being picked on the last call, which was a criminal case. Nineteen year old robbed people in their driveways and homes while making them lie down with a rifle pointed at them. I really did not want to get picked, but if I had I would have served. One of the potential jurors sitting near me said that she know she would not get picked because one of the assistant da's making selection was her neighbor. Surprised her when she got picked as the alternate.
default_yes.gif

I'd really like to be called at some point. I sat in on a jury selection last year and it was fascinating.

I've been called four times, once for PIttsburgh and three times for Washington County. Didn't get chosen for Pittsburgh, that was a LONG day. Did get chosen twice in WashPA. The first case the guy got the guilts and decided to plea bargain, so we went home early. The second case we actually heard opening arguments in a malpractice case, then both parties decided to settle out of court.

I do have to say I wasn't thrilled at being called up but did go and try to do my best. Plus, the courts were AMAZING! I know both were easily over 100 years old and the woodworking and stuff was gorgeous.

I have been called every year for the past 20 years. I have been on 12 trials, some civil and several criminal. The longest one was a criminal case and lasted 5 weeks. I agree with Charlene, it is important that everyone that is on the jury is there because they feel it is important and not because they have to be. In the long criminal case I was on, we were all at odds from the beginning. But with perserverance and hard work, we "hopefully" came to the right decision. Luckily everyone on the jury took their job seriously and took the time to look at the evidence and the facts and again "hopefully" we came to the right decision.

Latest posts

Back