Jumping Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
What halter would be appropriate for jumping and obstacle? I plan on using a cable halter for halter, but thought a Quarter Horse style would be better for the jumping and obstacle. What does everyone else use?

I may be in the minority, but I use a plain black leather stable halter. All our minis are Pintos so we tend to use less silver than some people might prefer. We also use a stud chain under the chin, and clipped to the upper hallter ring. If you do that, make sure that your horse is used to it though. We made a mistake last year and used the chain on a filly that wasn't use to it and she reared doing a sidepass.

Have fun!

We use the Quarter style halters for Showmanship, obstacle, and jumping too. We also use a chain--when it's on, they know it's work time. *ahem* because I can't resist "pretties", our halters have a little trim (the kids say I was a crow in my last life :bgrin )

I agree with the leather western style halter is best for jumping and obstacle in-hand.
default_yes.gif
:

Whether to go with silver, or plain depends on the horse you are showing. On a plain coloured head, I do like the silver, and a plain leather doesn't destract one from a nicely patterned/coloured head.
default_yes.gif
:

I bought some from Ozark that I really like. It's actually a black nylon halter with leather trim. It looks neat and clean and works well for me. I also use a stud chain under their chin.

I too use the quarter horse type leather halter for jumping with the chain run under. They know it is work time. We also use it for obstacle.

I agree that Ozark is a good source for performance halters. I have two really nice, leather, western style performance halters from Ozark . They have thin straps of leather that do not look bulky on a minis head and they are about $85. I also have a fancy biothane western style halter that cost more than 2x the amount of the Ozark ones and I do not like it as well
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mingus and Liz's Mouse both swear by their Shetland Show Halters from Prime Design...so much so that Mouse signed a celebrity endorsement deal!

Mouse from Prime Time's website...Mingus is jealous!

lg_Mouse_06.jpg

These are great for hunter/jumper (we used it in halter, too...they are very handsome and (to me) seem more appropriate for hunter/jumper.

Thanks, everyone! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I had bought a leather halter last year, with silver. It looks just like my AQHA show halter. However, it doesn't fit. I have a small stallion, with a tiny head, and nothing was where it was supposed to be. The bars along the cheeks were too short and too low, the chin I could get big enough by punching a hole in the VERY end. The same for the piece that runs up under the jaw, that goes from the chin to the throatlatch. I was very disappointed, to say the least. Not to mention I was out quite a bit of money for it.

I'll check out Ozarks, along with a PM I just received. I definitely want to make sure it's made for a mini, not just a thrown-together "small" halter with a mini tag on it. :no:

Thanks, everyone! That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I had bought a leather halter last year, with silver. It looks just like my AQHA show halter. However, it doesn't fit. I have a small stallion, with a tiny head, and nothing was where it was supposed to be. The bars along the cheeks were too short and too low, the chin I could get big enough by punching a hole in the VERY end. The same for the piece that runs up under the jaw, that goes from the chin to the throatlatch. I was very disappointed, to say the least. Not to mention I was out quite a bit of money for it.

I'll check out Ozarks, along with a PM I just received. I definitely want to make sure it's made for a mini, not just a thrown-together "small" halter with a mini tag on it. :no:

That's a shame. Can you return it? Our first show halters sound like that. They did not fit correctly at all!! We finally invested in some NICE ones and I love them. Ozark does have a lovely one that is great for performance classes and reasonably priced.

Well, I might have been able to, if I didn't punch all the holes in it. Hopefully we'll have some babies coming in a few years, and we can use it then. I like the cable halters, but I'm not sure how well they'd work with a young one just starting out. I lucked into my cable halter...someone was selling it at a show for $30...said they paid $100 or so for it. I wish I could find a deal like that for a AQHA style one...but no luck so far.
default_sad.png

That's a shame. Can you return it? Our first show halters sound like that. They did not fit correctly at all!! We finally invested in some NICE ones and I love them. Ozark does have a lovely one that is great for performance classes and reasonably priced.

Good luck. I never had a cable halter for splash...she had to show in a brown leather halter that didn't even fit her properly (way too long...eventually had a friend shorten it and I added some shineys ^^). I used my Arab's show chain for it, but it was a bit too long, and at our first show it got caught in her mouth somehow o_O. But yeah, be sure you get like, measurements or something before you buy off the internet, because I was terribly dissapointed with mine. (And with the lady who sold it's horrid attitude about the whole thing)

Thanks. I'm definitely going to measure all three of them...although I doubt I'll be showing the Shetland mare. But you never know...she may turn into a better driving animal than the other two.

Very pretty! Unfortunately, it's also $100 more than I can spend at the moment. :-(

For Kid, who is a sorrel pinto, I use Western show halter with silver. His face is minimally colored but I think it draws attention to his large eyes.

Very pretty! Unfortunately, it's also $100 more than I can spend at the moment. :-(

Was with me too.. But, I did it anyway. :bgrin

I got a deal on it at World. The guy sold it to me with a lead and chain for 125.00, instead of the regular prices on his website..

Latest posts

Back