jeepers - now he has gone quiet and kinda sulky

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
AHHH. After a great start, Bob is now in the corner of his paddock looking very sad. He was nearly falling asleep out the front in the sun this arvo - and when we all went for a walk to see the donkeys up the street (to introduce Tilly too them), he nearly had to be dragged along. Could this be the hormone drop due to him being gelded last Wednesday?

This am, he was rearing up to get to Tilly - but we had him on a lead so no harm to tilly could be done - but I am also wondering whether he might have hurt himself in a rather delicate area. My other half and my dad checked him out and could see nothing - his gelding wounds look healthier than b4. He is also not putting musch weight on one back leg - kinda resting it - and then alternates this with the other. I am hoping that this is not that lamintitis or whatever it is called. Any hints would be greatly appreciated - I am getting atad worried about my bewtiful babe. Regards, Kerrie

He may well still be stiff and sore, and he may have overdone it just a bit in his excitement. When we had Mingus gelded, the vet had us RUN him for 20 minutes every day. I found that in addition to the 20 minutes running, he needed a good 10 minutes of walking to warm up and loosen up, then afterward I'd cool him down with another 10 minutes walking.

His recovery went very smoothly, so I'm a huge believer in a good daily workout, but he was also a bit of a grump at the time. Their hormones are all out of whack, so don't expect that good gelding behavior for awhile.

And definitely talk to your vet if you have any concerns at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. Bob was very quiet still this am - so we got the vet out. He has a slight tempature and now ihas an infection in his groin area - due to his recent gelding. So now we are on the penacillin jabs and painkillers. Poor bob - I feel so sorry for him to be in pain - the vet said he should be starting to recover tomorrow. So now Bob is in the holding pen and Tilly is running around in his paddock - YES, SEPARATE. Regards, Kerrie

Latest posts

Back