Jag is now a Therapy Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag and Inti's Mom

Reaction score
:aktion033: Well last week Jag and I went to be tested for the Delta Society so that he could work with seniors and differently abled individuals. The dear walked out of the trailer, right through three sets of doors that automatically opened, onto the elevator (he then turned and waited for the door to open) got out of the elevator walked across the corridor and into the testing room filled with 10 at this point barking dogs! He did not even bat an eye. This was not considered part of the test!!!! We waited while they tested the dogs, meanwhile the Supervisor, in an electric wheel chair, came up and said "You Two Come With Me Now!"

So Jag and I accompanied her to "her ward" (she didn't care about the testing, she wanted Jag to meet her seniors and Now.) After many hello's and Jag gently putting his head on an elderly man's lap we went back to the testing room. They were still testing dogs, and I had to sit and wait -- guess who decided to climb into my lap to wait. The front half of a mini can be pretty heavy in your lap. After about 1 1/2 hours I left to let Jag relieve himself outside and he turned right around and went back through the doors up the elevator and into the room to complete the testing! The testor did not even understand how amazing it was for him to be behaving as he was. Well the test finally came, he passed with flying colors, we rated an "excellent team" grade and he is now waiting for his size 48 vest and photo ID. While we were crowding around for a photo of all who passed, I got bitten by a dog who just passed. LOL My thumb is still sore.

I am always amazed by these little guys, Jag loves kids and I told him he had to pass this test to work with kids, and I be darned if he wasn't determined to do whatever it took. Gotta love em. Thanks for listening. We are proud as punch!!!!!

SUPER SUPER SUPER!!!!! :aktion033:

Thanks for sharing that!

MA

Way to go Nancy and Jag! Now you can bring him to visit me in the hospital when I have my knee replacement next month. :bgrin :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Congrats Nancy and Jag!! Wooohooo :aktion033: :aktion033:

I've said it before and i will say it agian. I really really like that horse!!!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Congrats to you and your 'horsie husband' lol :lol:

:risa8: :risa8: :risa8: :risa8:

/This is just the most wonderful thing to read. But you didnt say what the actual test consisted of We now know we have to work on automatic doors and elevators and barking jumping dogs but what was the test like? And is this possible to get certified in all states? We have one or two very laid back horses that I think could do this if we knew what to train them for. Thank you for sharing this wonderful accomplishment and you should be proud of yourself and your horse.

Congratulations on your certified therapy horse!!! How wonderful u are doing that with him!!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

What a very special little guy you have, you must be so proud! Congrats! And I agree with Karla, every time I hear one of these stories, it's just inspiring. I hope to be able to do this some day as well.

AAWWWW how sweet ..... minis are amazing little creatures and so "in tune" and smart . I just love to read things like this. Keep up the awesome work and WAY TO GO JAG !!!!!!! :risa8:

Congratulations! That's awesome. I've been through the Delta Society training myself, but have yet to take my minis through the evaluation process. There is no one anywhere near where we are that evaluates horses. What state are you in? My minis have done the visitation with their previous owner just not with Delta Society. Would love to hear how the visits go and to see pictures, too.
default_yes.gif
: Jag sounds like a special boy!

Nancy - If any horse could do it - it is Jag! Congratulations to both of you - He is sure to put smiles on the faces of many people in his new combined role :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Congrats! :aktion033: What an exciting adventure for both of you. You’ve done a great job!

Congratulations!! He sounds like a very special horse. I can't imagine his test was worse than what he went through to get to the testing! What else was involved??

:new_shocked: The amazing thing is that the test consisted of the instructor being able to touch his face especially around his mouth, his ears and rub his belly with a metal bowl and then drop it on the ground, they then had to touch and pick up all of his "paws" I translated as Hooves, and they dropped a metal bowl on the ground behind him. They also had to have two people arguing over him, or at least pretending and then having thier voices raise in timbre. She also had to rub him all over with a towel and then she tossed it over his head. All of this behaviour elicited no response.

I decided to do this with Jag because he seemed to like working with kids and being around them. He also seemed to know when people were weak (older) and definitely didn't push them or misbehave around them. He seemed to sense what was going on with them. So (ok you can all think I am crazy now) I asked him if he would like to give it a shot and go to hospitals and stuff. He agreed and off we went.

I did nothing to train him for the event of the testing. I had no idea what they would do for the test. I could find nothing written about it, so we just punted. The worst thing that could happen, I felt, was we flunked, and would just work on it and come on back.

I believe there are Delta Society Associations in all the states and I could get you a list if you wanted one. I think I have one somewhere.

But all you hospital bound mini junkies, look out now cause here we come.
default_wink.png
: :bgrin

I would be happy to post photos and responses to the visits , if I could just figure out how. Thanks for all the support from all you guys. It is really great.

I forgot, The person who tested us was used to testing dogs, they only have to call the office and they will tell them what they have to do differently for the horses. It is helpful if you have someone at one of the facilities pushing for you. After the first visit it is all downhill.

Jody, let me know when and where you are going to be, I may be able to get us in. One never knows!!!

Latest posts

Back