Jacks at stud

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticallyChallenged

Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if it's pretty common for people to offer their jacks at stud to outside jennets? I have seen ads occasionally for mammoth jacks for mule foals, but I am wondering about mini jacks and where would be a good place they would be advertised? I am in the Madison, WI area.

Thanks!

Angie

My jack is specialized in miniature mules! Unfortunately, we are in New Mexico so it would be harder to get to him. He loves his mares and refuses to socialize with jennys.
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
: . If we could do AI, we could probably work something out. Good luck finding one locally. I'm sure they are out there.

Hi,

I am wondering if it's pretty common for people to offer their jacks at stud to outside jennets? I have seen ads occasionally for mammoth jacks for mule foals, but I am wondering about mini jacks and where would be a good place they would be advertised? I am in the Madison, WI area.

Thanks!

Angie

I would say, try finding breeders near you, and ask them if they will allow you to breed to their jacks?

Jessi

I am in northern Wisconsin, and I have used my jacks for outside breedings. I have also used my frosted appy stud for those that want to breed for a hinny. I am considering (havent used him before, other then my own) using my BEI jack now to someone in Wisconsin, that would like to breed her 2 jennys to him. I dont think I have ever seen any mini jacks offered for stud service in Wisc. most are "referral" breedings that I would know about. Corinne

[SIZE=14pt]I have been asked several times about studding my jack out, there is no way I would do it, Jacks are just a totally different breed!LOL They are like little rapists when they are wanting to breed, so unless I was to muzzle my jack, I doubt I would ever take on breeding an outside jennet. They are just to nasty about breeding, TOTALLY different than a miniature horse stallion for sure. It is actually a turn-on for them to get kicked by the jenny, I just can't see how having the you-know-what kicked out of you is a turn-on, but whatever!LOL
default_wacko.png
: I have found the remedy to my Jack Blizzard, if he is being to much of you-know-what, I take the hose to him, BOY that settles him down real fast, and then he is a gentleman.
[/SIZE]

I stud Kilroy out. I only hand breed him though. If he starts getting too rough he gets put away. He isn't allowed to bite or kick the mares. He has tried once or twice but that ended quickly and he didn't get to cover the mare. He learned quick that he has to behave like a gentleman to "get lucky". He does quite well now.

Michele, I hand breed Bandito,(and I have muzzled him in the past) but if I do let him or Casper in the pasture with the jennys ~~~ they get very nasty. I would never think of pasture breeding someone else's jenny, those jacks get downright mean, they are nothing like a stallion. I would be so worried about my jack hurting someone elses jenny! Most of the outside breedings I did were to friends jennys. Of course, with Casper..I havent used him with anyone except mine, and from the way he acts...hes only going to be used with mine! Its hard to believe how tough and determined those guys are :eek: :eek: :eek: Corinne

I have been having problems finding a jack with the quality I want locally, to breed to my Jenny to.

Think I might of found one in Benson Ranch.Folks are new to breeding donkeys but bought a whole herd from up in Canada and brought them down here. But I do not know how far away from me they are?Transport for me is a big issue. Hopefully I will hear from them.

My biggest problem..finding a Jack with good temperament and conformation. Hate Down hill conformation and want a level donkey. They are out there just hard to find. And polite Jacks can be had...have seen a couple over the years.

I would just surf the net for your area and see what is out there. That is what I did. :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I to wiah you were closer.

Just got an email from Benson ranch... they do not breed outside jennys but I am free to come over and buy a Jack.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I only have one Jenny at this point and don't want to buy a Jack this year.

Maybe next summer but I already know the lines I want and the Farm I want to buy him from..which is in TX.

Ah Well... guess no foal next year.

Back