It's deja vu all over again

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunaL

Reaction score
Many of you went through all our drama last year when my mare foaled early at 282 days. Yesterday morning, when I checked her she was about 1/3 of the way full, a drastic change from the morning before. This morning, fuller still
default_sad.png

Last year she started bagging up about 11 weeks before her due date then foaled 7 weeks early. He lived for 5 days and I really think if he had been born even just a couple of days later he would have made it. She is 16 weeks out from her due date now so we are about 3/4 weeks ahead of when she started all this last year.

Sigh... I knew going in that we don't have a good chance of a live foal from her and tried not to get my hopes up but I was really hoping that being on the meds from the get-go she would hold off just a little bit longer this time. If she continues on this path, then we won't have a chance
default_unsure.png
She is on Regumate (since she conceived) and I just put her back on SMZs and Banamine.

Just wanted to share my heartache with you all. This is our only 2010 foal. She is a lovely lovely mare and I would love to have a foal from her. She will be 21 in March and this will be her last baby, regardless of the outcome. If she can just hang on another month and a half before progressing any further we might have a tiny chance....

OH NO!
default_sad.png

I am so very sorry - hopefully she will hang in there for you. I am sending prayers your way!

Katie

Oh no! Double dose the Regumate starting today! Keep her on it, the SMZ's and Banamine. If her udder goes down, then try stopping the Banamine but keep her on the Regumate and SMZ's until she foals. If her udder comes back, start the Banamine again. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I stopped one that was almost fully bagged at just a little over 260 days. She ended up carrying a normal foal to 315 days. The treatment does work in many cases if you get aggressive with it! Good luck!!

She is double-dosed as of this morning. Becky, if her udder starts to go down I should still keep her on the double dose, right?? Right now I am just kicking myself for breeding her back and setting us (and her) up for all this when I KNEW this was probably going to happen. I had actually decided not to breed her again but after a few months decided to give it one more shot - should have listened to myself.

This is a VERY high-strung active mare and I don't know if I could ever get her to stop moving but if I could get her to settle in a stall/small pen do you think activity or little activity makes a difference? Kinda like "stall rest"?

She will have a wonderful retirement, she is such a great little mare. She is my Uno de Mayo daughter and a little fireball
default_wub.png

Shauna, I'd keep her on the double dose Regumate until she foals. It won't hurt her and may likely give you a lovely, full term foal. Don't kick yourself! I'll keep my fingers crossed that she carries to term for you!

I would double dose the Regumate, continue the banamine, and SMZ. I think I would try stall rest for a while if she tolerates it calmly. Afterall, they put women to bed on bed rest when they go into premature labor when they try to stop the labor etc.

Robin

It sounds like you are on top of this and doing everything possible. I will be praying for a good outcome for your little mare.

Charlotte

Good luck Shauna - this is always such a worrisome time of year - I will cross my fingers that your foal hangs in there till term and that your precious mare is just fine.

Stacy

[SIZE=12pt]Stay positive, hang in there I'm sure things will turn out well for you and your mare. [/SIZE]

Positive news, she looks the same today as yesterday! Maybe we can make it a little longer after all..... (where's the nail-biting emoticon?)

That is great news....hope she hangs on for you for a while yet.......

Latest posts

Back