Issues with transport company

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAminiatures

Reaction score
I will not mention names. Has anyone ever had a problem with a shipper both unprofessional and financial. Do I have any recourse?

If this post is not proper or permitted I apologize.

I am just really frustrated that I seem to be getting no where with emails or phone calls.

You can go to court if you have a contract for financial issues. Unfortuntaly I've just had to file in small claims on another person over a horse issue. unprofessionalism? No, but word of mouth has ruined more businesses than laws have!

I had a problem with a shipper returning my phone calls and e-mails earlier this year. The stallion had to be at a certain place before a certain date (to get on another trailer to come to me) and they told me they could do it. Kept telling me one date and then pushing it furthur and furthur-and not telling me! It was very frustrating. Haven't had financial issues. If I did, I would go to court if there was a contract involved. First give a warning as that usually does the trick, then go to court.

Hope everything turns out ok for you!

I have wondered the same thing after our rescent experience with Annie. Penned in the stall with the stallion for 5 days, a body score 2 and ends up bred. What were they thinking? Also why wasn't I called when he arrived and saw her? They are our eyes and ears at times. We are lucky she made it, but instead she makes it hear rail thin and bred! She was one of 6 shipped here in that load.

This shipper was MIA for 5 days. No calls, emails....nothing. They showed up at the farm, the sellers farm at Noon, 2 days early and at our farm at 1am, literally 1 am 3 days late. And 8 hr trip took 5 well 6 days really. I was on pins and needles. And when they arrived, I let them know what i thought.

I have since contacted them to fill them in on the ramifications of there mistake. Of course no one has called back.

The good that came out of it was for the second shipment we became involved with a second shipper I love! I would reccomend him to anyone. He kept in touch with me and the other farm the entire trip. What a difference.

If you figure out what to do let me know, too.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do appreciate all of you sharing your stories with me. I have a contract, however I didn't think it would come to this but my patience has reached it's limit. I have delt with shippers before and never had a problem with communication or finances. It's nervraking enough just waiting for your horse to get home safe and sound.

Thanks again so much. Everyone on this board is really helpful and knowledgeable thank goodnes for LB.

About 5 or so years ago a shipper from the NC area was to pick up a mini mare for me. It was required to pay half up front, then the balance upon delivery. (now realize most shippers don't require this only payment on delivery)

I emailed the seller the morning the mare was to be shipped. I asked her how things went and if the shippers arrived first thing in the morning like they stated. She told me they called around 7am and said the trip wasn't going to take place at that point in time, their truck broke down. When I tried to repeatedly call them they did not answer nor did they answer my emails.

Needless to say I was out the money. It's difficult to threaten with going to court if they don't even return an email or call.

With that said, it was the only bad experience I have had with a shipper.

I have only ever used shippers that don't require a deposit--only payment in full upon delivery. I have heard too many stories from too many people about paying half or full amount in advance & then the shipper doesn't show up to pick up the horse, and won't refund the money--and it isn't just one company--I have to say that in view of that I won't be using any shipper that requires payment in advance.

You can go to court to get a judgment for the money, but even then getting the judgment & actually collecting the money are two different things. Yo can even sue for damages if your horse was injured during transport, but again--you can easily pay more in legal expenses than you will collect for damages, aand it can be difficult to prove that the shipper is responsible for some things.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "unprofessionalism" but definitely word of mouth can reduce future business for that particular shipper.

There is a website that I use to find shippers-it ranks the shippers and lets you know which ones have been shipping for years and have a good rep. It makes me feel so much better knowing that because word of mouth gets around pretty fast and if those shipping companies had alot of unhappy customers, there's no way they'd still be in business.

I'll have to try to dig up the website...

I will not mention names. Has anyone ever had a problem with a shipper both unprofessional and financial. Do I have any recourse?

If this post is not proper or permitted I apologize.

I am just really frustrated that I seem to be getting no where with emails or phone calls.
Instead of complaining about bad haulers, maybe people should post the good haulers and good experiences. That way we would know who could be trusted.

I am not sure about hauling minis, as I had my son haul mine, but for big horses,I cant say enough good about NationWide Transport out of Colorado Springs. I have had them haul for me many times without any problem. They have been in business since the 1950's. If they werent reliable, they would have been gone a long time ago.

Speaking of superb transport companies, I can't say enough about the wonderful Sharrway Transport. Great at communicating, reliable, very competitive pricing, and they take wonderful care of the horses.

Personally I'd like to know which transporters to avoid along with which ones are great to deal with.

Instead of complaining about bad haulers, maybe people should post the good haulers and good experiences. That way we would know who could be trusted.
While this is a good thought and we should all post about good haulers and good experiences with them, people also need to know about the bad experiences so we can help others who are usually just trying to get a good deal (with today's economy, everyone is right?) and fall into a trap. I wish there was a website that listed haulers with a rating system like the thumbs up, thumbs down-leave a comment explaining why system. It would be really nice!

I also always recommend Sharraway Transport. They are the best~!

I am not sure about hauling minis, as I had my son haul mine, but for big horses,I cant say enough good about NationWide Transport out of Colorado Springs. I have had them haul for me many times without any problem. They have been in business since the 1950's. If they werent reliable, they would have been gone a long time ago.
There are tons of topics on here that DO sing the praise of wonderful haulers (including my own posts). None the less there are cons out there too.

Carolyn,

I agree with you. I LOVE our shipper and although he is double the cost of others he is the bomb! Doug West! He has 3 new temperature cotrolled semis, his skills are amazing with animal and people a like and he tuly loves horses, He spent one hour here looking at our animals talking, just being a great guy. He is my first recomendation, ALWAYS!!!!!

But We all need to give eachother the heads up when it goes wrong. Our bad experience cost us a pretty penny in vet bills!

Ellen

After having a very similar experience to the original poster, I thought I would never use a transport company again. But, we bought our newest boy, Armani, from Ohio and were working with another forum member in our state to split a trainsport. She found and hired the company. They were able to pick the horse up a week earlier than they had originally quoted me, gave him a good ride, and he arrived in very good shape. I will use them again. In fact, I just got a quote on hauling a colt in from California. SUPER prices, good communication, and great service. I can't say enough about Bill from A Plus Horse Transport!

I do agree that we all can comment on the great shippers out there so it makes it easier for others shipping horses. I'm not trying to stir the pot here but this shipper came highly recommended to me and I felt confident shipping with them. I myself would let another person know if I had a valid issue with a shipper. I would never want to have someone experience poor service. As others mentioned there are too many great shippers that deserve the work and help us reach our goals to our passion for horses great or small.

I also will comment that others have had very simular problems as well. Money is money but shipping our horses is so bittersweet and knowing your horse is in great hands really is the bottom line. No matter what business your in treating people the way you want to be treated is what will bring you sucess.

Pat Thompson from Equine transport East is from Maine. For those of us in NE you know it's sometimes harder to get horses up here due to weather and such. Well Pat and her team are the greatest. They were very good to my mare and to me. She called me to find out if her team had called me to give me an update on my horse. The equipment was great, my drivers were the very best right down to the little corgi Henry.

I haven't read all the thread and am not sure exactly what problem you've experienced. However, if this is a transport company that advertises through LB, I would inform Mary Lou here of what has transpired.

PS I'd like to personally endorse both Hauled Right and Sharrway. They do a super job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back