Is this normal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

journey

Reaction score
Harley has taken up something and I don't really know what to do. He keeps flipping the dog house over and he is eating the wood off of the bottom of it. I am quite concerned as I just came in from feeding this morning and I actually saw him take a bite. I am getting ready to go back out and move the dog house and dog (who protects my horses) to a part of the yard where he cannot get to it to eat it. Should I talk to the vet or is this normal?

You say he has "taken it up" so I am just guessing that this is a new behavior...

Does Harley have toys that he can play with? He could just be bored and that gives him something to do.

If he doesn't have toys to play with, you might consider getting him a ball or something that he can mess with and that might curb the doghouse eating. Milk jugs and soda bottles are also good toys. In any event, moving the dog house is probably a good idea. Good luck with him, I've never met a horse that eats dog houses before
laugh.gif

Horses will chew wood and he has discovered an easy source. Usually because they are looking for fiber and are naturally animals that will graze all day. If they are not getting that, they will look for a substitue...

I would coat your dog house with something to prevent wood chewing or make it taste nasty...

Scoopiedoo said:
You say he has "taken it up" so I am just guessing that this is a new behavior...Does Harley have toys that he can play with?  He could just be bored and that gives him something to do.

If he doesn't have toys to play with, you might consider getting him a ball or something that he can mess with and that might curb the doghouse eating.  Milk jugs and soda bottles are also good toys.  In any event, moving the dog house is probably a good idea.  Good luck with him, I've never met a horse that eats dog houses before
laugh.gif

522856[/snapback]

Yeah, it is a new one on me too!
new_shocked.gif
He has soda bottles and milk jugs that he plays with, They had a ball, but a bad storm blew it into the cow pasture and they busted it. I am going to go get a new one, I just don't want my baby to get sick from eating wood. I am also worried about the nails. My hubby built this dog house a few years ago.

The first thing I would do is to increase his hay. This sounds to me like boredom and also lack of roughage. I would put more hay out, and not just in one pile, but in many places so he will have to move around to get it. And it needs to be wonderful hay, not just some low quality stuff, but good nice hay that he can chew up easily.

I also would put out some Purina 12 12 free choice minerals, a 50 lb white salt block and a red trace/mineral one.

Try this and see what happens.

Marty, you took the words right out of my mouth!
smile.gif
That was going to be my next suggestion.

When i got a mineral block for my minis they loved it and they stop eating the wood on the fence, they got that all ate up i have to buy two now not buying just one. They love it.

Marty said:
The first thing I would do is to increase his hay. This sounds to me like boredom and also lack of roughage. I would put more hay out, and not just in one pile, but in many places so he will have to move around to get it. And it needs to be wonderful hay, not just some low quality stuff, but good nice hay that he can chew up easily.
I also would put out some Purina 12 12 free choice minerals, a 50 lb white salt block and a red trace/mineral one.

Try this and see what happens.

522868[/snapback]

Thanks Marty! I had been giving them a flake of hay twice a day, in the same spot. I am going to increase that starting today. We bought some good hay from a man that sells for horses, it was pretty pricey, but I want my babies to be healthy. We also bought a 50lb white salt block, but we didn't get a mineral block, but now that is on the top of my to-do list for tomorrow. Thanks so much for the advice! I really appriciate it. Above all you know how these Tennessee winters are.
biggrin.gif

Edited to say: My flakes of hay are pretty big.
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto Marty!

Horses are grazers and they evolved grazing 24/7 with naps and walks to the water hole in between eating. So we don't provide them with something to 'graze' and they will find something else to eat if they can. If they can't then they develop bad habits!

I bet your boy isn't so interested in the dog house when he has something to munch all the time. (of course, boys like to play too and are always looking for mischief!)

Merry Christmas!

Charlotte

Another idea if you feel they are getting enough hay in terms of maintaining weight would be to split the feedings up if you can (not to feed more, but to feed it more often) and also to scatter they hay more around so it takes longer for them to eat it all. It's good to at least fluff out the flake (which you might be doing anyhow) to be sure there is nothing bad in it. I always fluff it out and smell it (nothing to do with your question, but a good idea anyway).

Latest posts

Back