Is this my three?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Well....Many developements over the last 2 weeks. They say they come in threes, so how's this....

First Riis gets sprayed by a skunk IN HER FACE
default_smileypuke.gif

THEN...Lex foals the most beautiful, tiny, dished face filly EVER (a bit biased, maybe lol)...2 days later she develops an infection. Vet out. Torn cervix. Uterus flushed. On antibiotics. All is well, though...Phew!

THEN...(the worst)...My Berner, Heidi, vomited on Sunday Morning. She'd be about 3 weeks pregnant if she took. Riis and Callie always got a bit of "morning sickness" when pregnant, so I thought...well, she must be pregnant. Monday, the dogs and I went for a walk and Heidi wasn't herself. A bit listless, staying close to me. So I'm still thinking that she's just feeling crappy from being pregnant. Monday, at dinner, she's drinking copious amounts of H20. TONS! Then throwing it all up (pure water). Not eating. Her eyes were sunken in. She got up, but was wobbly. I took her temperature, normal. Checked her gums, pale. Nose, dry. Mouth was tacky.
default_no.gif
I gave her an aspirin and some Pepto Bismol. Called my vet. We went in. She was severely dehydrated; my vet said she wouldn't have lasted the night... She was immediately given IV fluids, had bloodwork done etc. A liver enzyme was elevated, but she said that's normal with dehydration. Anyway. Overnight, there, she developed explosive, rank diarrhea. My vet thought that she may have gotten into something (not a poison per se, but gastroenteritis). I'm just so glad it wasn't a virus or something as we had two boarders over...
default_unsure.png
She finally stopped the uncontrollable diarrhea last night and ate some chicken this morning!!!!! Yay!!!!!! She's on antibiotics, but she came home today and had a nice bath in this hot weather and ate some chicken broth and had some wet puppy food
default_biggrin.png
She seems to know that she was on the brink as she is staying pretty close to me and shows no/little interst in Katie (her partner in crime). I'm just so thankful she's okay...
default_wub.png

So...is that my three????

Sounds like it "oughta be"..........but, life isn't always fair
default_laugh.png
default_wacko.png

Lets decide it IS your three and let no more happen! Positive thinking. Oh, tell all the critters that there is to be no more of this.......they need positive thinking, too
default_wub.png

Sounds like it "oughta be"..........but, life isn't always fair
default_laugh.png
default_wacko.png

Lets decide it IS your three and let no more happen! Positive thinking. Oh, tell all the critters that there is to be no more of this.......they need positive thinking, too
default_wub.png

It could be much worse...So I'm thankful, for sure
default_biggrin.png

The last two could have been catastrophic! Thank goodness you caught them both in time. Those were a couple of those "weak in the knees after the fact" things. Was Heidi pregnant on top of the gastroenteritis?

omg Matt, those last 2 sure are scary!!!!

I've been on a streak of '3's since November.....and not many of them have been very good.

I'm trying to be optimistic and think things are starting to turn around, but there is always that doubt in the back of my mind....positive thinking is hard when you keep getting beat down.

Hope Heidi & Lex are back to their healthy selves soon!!!

~kathryn

omg Matt, those last 2 sure are scary!!!!
I've been on a streak of '3's since November.....and not many of them have been very good.

I'm trying to be optimistic and think things are starting to turn around, but there is always that doubt in the back of my mind....positive thinking is hard when you keep getting beat down.

Hope Heidi & Lex are back to their healthy selves soon!!!

~kathryn

Wow, Kathryn...Just hang in there
default_wink.png
Things will get better....

Yep, Lex is just fine and so is Heidi now (back to herself). Lex just finished off her antibiotics today and Heidi just started hers yesterday and is eating and running around...Yay!

Sending prayers and positive thinking that's the last of that bad stuff.

So very glad Heidi is OK.

The last two could have been catastrophic! Thank goodness you caught them both in time. Those were a couple of those "weak in the knees after the fact" things. Was Heidi pregnant on top of the gastroenteritis?

Well...she may be. She'd be just over three weeks along right now. The vet palapated her and couldn't feel any vesicles, but she may not have felt them due to the dehydration (she said the sacks would shrink, too). Being as sick as she was, she may have lost them or...she didn't take. After all she's been through I'm hoping she's not pregnant (I suspect she's not). But dogs/pups are very tough...so if she is pregnant I wouldn't be surprised if they survived that episode. I'm just so glad my baby girl is getting better and better. She's got a great appetite now and is herself again!!!!
default_biggrin.png

After all she's been through I'm hoping she's not pregnant (I suspect she's not). But dogs/pups are very tough...so if she is pregnant I wouldn't be surprised if they survived that episode. I'm just so glad my baby girl is getting better and better. She's got a great appetite now and is herself again!!!!
default_biggrin.png
I'm glad she is back to being herself. I was thinking, as well, that it would be easier to recover if she wasn't pregnant. Keep us posted, please.

Hey Matt! Just bumping this up, wondering how Lex and Heidi are doing!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back