Is this her getting closer?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
So almost 100% sure Crystal is pregnant since we have some heavy movement. But heres my question. Is decreasing appetite a sign shes getting closer? Crystal has been leaving about half her food everytime I feed her for about the last four days. Vet says dont worry, but Im again worried lol

You should come over and join the mom's to be group on the marestare tab. The ladies there will be able to help you.

As Tina says, please transfer over and come and join us, we have several mares due to foal in the next week and would love to have you and Crystal enjoy the excitement with us.
default_yes.gif

But to answer your question - yes a lot of mares seem to find it difficult to finish all their food as the foal gets larger and therefore takes up more of the available 'tummy' space. So smaller but more frequent feeds can help. But as to this being a sign of them getting closer to foaling, yes it can be, but should be taken alongside all the other possible pre birth signs.

Hoping to see you on the MareStare/Watchers forum here soon!

I went over and read that forum and it seemed all about videos of their mares in foal. Didnt really feel like our case fit, since I am unable to do so. But Umm I suppose Ill give it a shot, since you guys think she does

I am pretty sure marestare has a forum area for folks with no camera's. And reading some of the posts on any of their forums can give you some hints that you might be able to apply to your mare. I will agree as they get heavier in foal they have less room for feed so smaller more frequent feedings are optimal. I just gave my mare free choice hay and she ate when she wanted. Udder size and softness of the tailhead are probably more reliable signs that lack of interest in food.

Latest posts

Back