Is this a coyote track?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On my walk this morning, I saw these two animals' tracks. They were side by side, going straight down the road. After the recent snow, the road was very soft. I don't think they are dogs. One animal's tracks was smaller and not as deep.track.jpg

I would expect the impression left by nails to be longer and pointed if it was a coyote. That looks like closely clipped nails to me. Coyote tracks usually have a larger space between the 2nd and 3rd toe and the heel pad.

Some of the tracks showed longer claws. Since the road was so spongy I'm not sure how that would affect a track. I also thought a coyote print was more elongated, but since both sets of prints went straight down the road, side by side, it didn't seem like dogs, which usually course from side to side. And there are no neighbor dogs around that are loose that would be in that area. It was fun to look at all the tracks: multiple deer, and some other split hoof tracks that didn't look exactly like deer. Raccoons/opossum handprints--I have a hard time telling them apart.

Hard to tell. It maybe looks a little big and made by something heavier than coyote? It is a perfect print, isn't it?
Did you ever set up a game/night camera on your property? I bet you would see a lot of entertaining things!

I hear what you are saying about the straight tracks. You are right. Dogs tend to have a wandering pattern while coyotes are usually all business moving when from place to place. If you saw other prints with longer claws with pointed tips that gives me pause. Do you have wolves in your area? A wolf print is not as elongated as a coyote and the pads are pretty fat. It could also be a hybrid coy-wolf. It is rumored that we have those in my area but the official word is no.

Some of the tracks showed longer claws. Since the road was so spongy I'm not sure how that would affect a track. I also thought a coyote print was more elongated, but since both sets of prints went straight down the road, side by side, it didn't seem like dogs, which usually course from side to side. And there are no neighbor dogs around that are loose that would be in that area. It was fun to look at all the tracks: multiple deer, and some other split hoof tracks that didn't look exactly like deer. Raccoons/opossum handprints--I have a hard time telling them apart.

check for what is called scat (dukey) as they mostly poop in plain sight and in scat will be clumps of hair, bone, berries and will be very dark.

Latest posts

Back