Is there anyone breeding for friesen or fell pony type miniature horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo mhuirnín

Reaction score
I am new to the miniature horse world.

It seems that there is a lot of breeders concentrating on Arabian type.

Are there any breeders of minitaures with a different type like Friesen?

I've never seen a Friesen type mini. I think why people can get away with calling many minis Arabian type is that in those Arabian type minis there is more Welsh which has Arabian blood, that lends to more of a dished head and refinement.

No, IMHO you wouldn't get a friesien cross to meet miniature heights. Although there is the NSPPR registry - which I could see a AMHR Freisien cross might make the height there, or gypsy vanner cob, etc.

No, but there is a.farm in Florida that has a stallion that is black with tons of mane and feather. He really looks like a tiny friesian! Can't think of the farm name off hand, but the owners name is Jennifer Garwood I believe.

Just thought of it...Hairicane Ranch!

I have seen a photo of a black mini stallion in NY that looks like a Fresian. A forum member owned him at that time, a few years ago.

Very cute! But I'd say that looks like a very nice, typical UK Shetland Pony Stallion
default_smile.png
. The only thing Freisan looking is the colour and long mane and tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love a mini with tons of feathers. One of my favorite big breed is Gypsy Vanners - in fact I named my dog Gypsy since she is black and white and a big dane mix!

Very cute! But I'd say that looks like a very nice, typical UK Shetland Pony Stallion
default_smile.png
haha, thats what I thought, looks just like my fat shetland I used to own.

What about if you got a black black mini and grew the mane and tail out and plaited them? Probably the closest you get

My friend who actually raises Friesians told me "Squirt", ak/ka Erica's Can't Take My Eyes Off You, a 3x National Champion in open, ammy and futurity halter, looks like a mini Friesian! I know she meant it as a compliment, but I can't say I swelled with pride because I want my minis to be much finer boned than what I would consider a "mini Friesian" to be. I think I said "well, he's the right color"... and as an under 30" senior stallion, he is "mini"
default_smile.png

Squirt-Nationals--2011--2--stallions.jpg

default_smile.png
he is a shetland stallion I know his owner and the handler very well , his name is Tempest and he is a big winner in Ireland , , he is nothing like a fell in the flesh

The pony that I keep my mare with is actually very Fell. He is mini size, maybe 34" or 35", but completely grade so far as we know. He does grow quite luscious fetlock hair, I wouldn't quite call it feather but it's pretty close
default_wink.png

Anyways we always call him our little Fell. His coat does fade to a dark bay in summer, so he isn't true black, but he's the closest to a Fell or Friesian type that I have seen in person. He actually has sparked discussion between the wife and I about how cute little mini Fells would be!

Heres my drafty boy... Picture him black!

He is 30.5" tall. Shetland looking but maybe more.

Anyway he sure is a eye catchy stallion, even to folks who breed for tiny and refind, will comment on how nice he looks!

100_4251.jpg

riobravo.jpg

100_4236.jpg

thank you for all the feedback. If anyone out there does have a stallion of this type for sale I might be interested. Color doesnt matter. I would love to try to raise minis with the hair feather and beauty of these horses it doesnt matter to me if they are in or not just if they have great minds and are healthy. Here is a picture of my favorite mare.

Princess.JPG

I was actually surprised last summer when my vet's assistant told me our 31" black Buckeroo stallion looked like a mini morgan. He has feathered feet also. I never clip his fetlocks because everyone likes the way he looks. I love the drafty types of the minis. So cute

Latest posts

Back