Is seven to young to teach a grandchild to drive?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
Can you momma's and grandma's give me some advice on teaching a seven year old driving?

My granddaughter will be 7 by summer's end. Do any of you have six and seven year olds driving?

I'm thinking of only in an arena. Maybe a small well fenced pasture.

My son drove in the round pen when he was seven. I was in the cart at first, then let him drive. The horse is very trustworthy or I wouldn't have done that.

We have kids younger than that driving in the show ring here in the NWMHC. Yes they have wonderful horses and the really young ones have an adult riding with them in the cart.

Jessie was 9 when she learned to drive. She has a very good hand at driving. However, her brother that is now 10 isn't driving any of my horses any time soon (again). We tried to teach him and he just doesn't get it. I have even tried to show him with a pair of lead ropes in my hands how much pressure to use. Next thing you know you are headed out of control into a ditch with totally loose reigns hitting the horses knees or you try to get him to turn the horse and the next thing he has the horses nose on it's hip. He is going to an instructor besides me if he is going to drive.

it is a great age to begin! We have had youth as young as four; of course, with an adult in the cart.

I think it depends on how animal-savvy the youngster is. I've seen pretty talented kids driving even younger than seven, but most of them were raised in a barn!

I think it would depend greatly on the child and the horse.

Andrea

I was driving by myself before I was 7.. But I also had a VERY safe pony and had grown up with driving horses since I was a baby.. I think that if they are interested in driving, and it is a safe environment for them to learn, with a safe horse/pony/mini, I say go for it!

Our 8 yr. old son took a ride this year in a two-seater airplane owned by some friends of ours. We asked her how old a person needed to be to learn to fly an airplane. Her answer was, "You can teach a monkey to fly an airplane, but you can't teach them to make good decisions."

Our son started driving our been there, done that 17 yr. old show gelding when he was 6. We definitely wouldn't have him drive certain horses of ours, though.

Myrna

As long as they are being monitored and they are in a safe area then I don't see any reason why you couldn't. Good luck and go get em!
default_smile.png

I would definitely look at having 2 sets of reins - one for you and one for the youngster - for some time. A lot would depend on the horse, child, and the area available, but yes, seven isn't too young to start. I personally wouldn't let them drive by themselves in an open area until they were quite a bit older though!

I don't remember 'learning' to drive, (thought I'm still learning every day!) but I drove in my first show when I was 8. Can't say as the first show went all that well, but I definitely grew up loving driving!!

IMHO teaching them to drive at 7 (if you have a "cart for two") would be so much easier than teaching them to ride at that age. If you can sit next to them, let them put their hands over yours at first to see how it "feels". Then (yes, in an enclosed area) let them try to direct the horse while you explain and direct. You can always reach over and take the reins or you could hold on to the bottom of the reins that are dangling below their hands (just in case). At any rate, a VERY reliable horse is needed so the child's experience is a positive one.

My granddaughter wants to be around the horses like her Gamma but she is here so little that she lacks confidence. She always asks to "ride" (leadline) but, as you know, it takes balance which at 5 she doesn't have total control yet. So we tried the cart and when she found that she could get the horse to turn and stop etc. from a "safe" spot in a bench-like seat, she was thrilled.

The biggest thing to remember is it must be the child's idea. Just like you "can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink". You can WISH a child to share your enthusiasum about horses but you can't MAKE them "horse happy". [hard lesson for me]

Latest posts

Back