Is my show halter too big?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I got Domingo a shepherd halter yesterday, and now Im worried it may be a little too big. I think the poll is about right, but maybe the nose band a little too big? I can easily fit 4 fingers under it. If I lower it 1 notch, it is way too big. Now, im comparing it to the fit of a victor, but it dosent conform to the face, which I think is maybe because the noseband is too big. Is that just how these halters fit? I'll add pictures, not the best, but its hard to photograph what im trying to show.

360440239.jpg

360440247.jpg

If you look on the left you can see where the sides meet the nose band, you can see how far it sits off of the face. The pink on the right is just the tag from the vendor, didn't wanna remove in case I need to return.

I think my poll is about the right size, it has room to adjust both ways, but do you think I should try to get a smaller nose band?

Looks like a good fit to me!!! It may be a little stiff to start off, but it will soften in time and use!!! He looks GOOD!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

I see you spent some time at Star Lake yesterday too ...i bought the same exact halter adult with gold piping..i think it fits just right, once you clip his head and get it razored it will sit much nicer.

It looks good to me, you've got it sitting just right too.

The noseband is halfway between his eye and his nostril (sitting a finger's width below that sharp cheekbone point) and then the noseband allows the sides to sit below the top of the cheekbone part, below where it would rub his eyes or something.

He'll look stunning with his face show clipped! Have fun!

Andrea

Yep, spent lots of money at equine affair yesterday, at the different retailers. Hubby made fun of me because I'll wear the $15 walmart shoes, but didn't blink at spending over $500 yesterday on stuff. I thought by now he would realize where my priorities are, lol.

I wasnt sure on the halter, Im used to my victor which is more "form fitting" to the face I guess. I'm going to bath and reclip his entire body and head in a show clip in a few weeks, I'll be sure to get some pictures of him all dolled up in his halter.

His forelock is soooo fluffy. I thinned it out a lot already, and it's still this fluffy. I'm just afraid to take too much off and at the end of the year have nothing left after a few clips.

Looks great to me and excellent choice of style and colors for your horse
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

I think it looks great!

I am ordering the exact same one through Star Lake for Rhett. I was told on a previous LB post to get the wider shepard style as my horse has a pretty long face. I was wondering how it looked on so seeing your picture was a huge help.

Thans you for posting it.

Sue

Your halter looks nice on him. I think its a good fit and good choice for him also. When a show halter is new it is not yet conforming to the horses head on the noseband as it is still a little stiff. You can put a rolled up hand towel under the noseband and tape the chain behind it to where it is snug. Leave it like that for a few days before the show and it will conform to your horses head better. This also works on a new harness bridle, although on a bridle you would use a larger towel and have it from noseband to the crown piece so it would conform the entire headsall. P.S. you can store your harness bridles like this too to keep them from getting out of shape. Good luck to you, you have a really nice gelding there. Laura

I suggest you saturate the forelock in hair conditioner, leave it on a day or two, then wash it out.

The results are usually quite dramatic. After that, see if you need any more trim/thinning.
default_wink.png

I like the halter, too.

hint- - bring halter into the house.-where the chain goes thru-Lets call it the J loops- pull the halter/ noseband together at the J loops and put a rubberband on it to hold the J loops together. this will train the halter to bend more towards the nose and not want to stay/ lay flat or open. takes mine about 2 weeks and it is broke in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I have it rubber banded together at the J loops to get it to shape his face better.

I'll also try deep conditioning his forelock before I thin it anymore.

Back