Is it possible for an 8 month old filly..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya

Reaction score
If it is possible, how likely do you think? I know it would not be safe at all. If so, what could/will go wrong?

note: this is not my mini I'm talking about...I have geldings.

I'd say it would be a rare occurance, but still possible. ANYTHING is possible.

MA

PS: If it looks like an 8 month old filly DID get pregnant, I hope a vet will be involved and that the pregnancy is terminated. An 8 month old being pregnant and carrying to term is a sure thing for losing both the foal and the young dam. You're talking about a heartbreaking situation all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVERYTHING could and probably will go wrong, at that early age she has not fully developed physically or emotionally. From the foal getting hip locked due to a pelvis that is to small to permenant damage to her uterus to a dead mare and foal. I hope that poor baby is not pregnant.
nono.gif

I hope that poor baby is not pregnant. 
Me too! I only ask because someone contacted me through my website asking about my chickens. While we were talking the lady mentioned she is getting a mini next week. She has never had a horse before. She bought it from a small petting zoo and the filly was pastured w/a mini donkey. She said she saw the donkey mounting the filly one time while she was there visiting. She did not know if the donkey was gelded or not. She has absolutely no experience w/horses and I told her as much as I could in a few minute phone call and suggested a couple books and websites so she could learn. When we came to the part about the donkey mounting the filly...I just said, "oh boy"...I told her since I don't breed, that I had no clue if "it" was possible.

She was a very nice lady, but not horsey at all - wanted to know if it was ok if the filly had hay in her mane and how much to feed, she didn't know what a "flake" of hay was. I think I have her email still, I am going to email her and invite her to my place (she is about 2 hrs away). I have had horses a big part of my life, minis for only 1 1/2 yrs, so I am by no means an expert and I know absolutely nothing about foaling, but maybe I can give her a little help with the basics...I sure hope that baby isn't pregnant.

I would suggest to her, that, should she get this filly, to have her Vet-checked, and see if she is in foal. Should she be, the Vet can terminate the pregnancy, which would be, by far...the safest thing to do.

It is possible, although chances are she is not. Still we had a this years calf (2005) that we saw cycle and the bull mount her. We took her in and had her PG and although she was not bred she was scarred internally and the vet cautioned against keeping her as a replacement as he was almost certain she would not settle. She was six months old at the time and still on the cow.

I did tell her to have the filly vet checked, she said that the vet was out last week to give the filly her coggins shot. She said - "surely the vet would of said something if he thought she was pregnant". I told her, it would be too early to tell w/o doing a test.

I think after talking with me she was slightly regretting her decision to buy this horse. Like I said, she was a very nice lady and a total stranger, so I did not want to be extremely rude ( I wanted to say...lady you have no business buying this horse), but I mentioned about colic, foundering, etc...and how careful you need to be with feeding her, etc., etc., I don't think I mentioned any one thing pleasant about having a mini, because I wanted her to really research...She should of definately researched more before making this decision, but the descision was made...my hope is that she'll back out of the deal and get more educated before bringing a mini home, but if not, I will try to help her the best I can...I told her about the forum (hope she doesn't get upset if she's reading this)

Last edited by a moderator:
If she knows little about horses, I suspect she she could readily confuse mounting with play, rather than "real" breeding.

Latest posts

Back