Is it best to feed chickens medicated feed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
whitehens.jpg

We have 10 chickens now. The 6 black chickens turned out to be 4 roosters I think.

We got 4 young hens this past weekend, they are white with black mottling and little feathers on their feet. They are so cute.

Chickens are the funniest things, I could watch them for hours.

All 10 of them go out mid morning about 9-10 and as soon as the sun starts setting they head for their pen.

So you can get medicated feed, do they do better on this type of feed? I changed them over to game bird but was told by someone today they needed this medicated feed. Will post some pics tomorrow.

sorry if the pictures arent real chrisp these little beggers move quick!
yes.gif

Blkrooster.jpg
blkchicken.jpg
whitechickens.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
we have never fed the medicated feed, we have over 100 birds . our feed is made locally by a friend. all ours are doing great!

the ony time they should ever be on medicated is when they are chicks (till about 4 months). I hatch my own instead of getting from a hatchery, and I never use medicated. also, game bird is ok for roosters and 4-6 month hens, but then hens should be getting a quality layer feed. it has a higher protien much needed calcium to make the shells. Hope this helps.
default_smile.png

And yes, I have chickens too.....I raise and show several breeds, and have kept them for over 30 years of my life. I love my girls!
default_smile.png

I raise show birds, and i only use Medicated for the first week then switch to the normal stuff. Are you raising layers or broilers?

We always use non medicated. They also get cracked corn and lots of grass.

I have used medicated feed in the past for my chicks. I don't use it anymore because when I order them from the hatchery I have them vaccinated before they get to me. If you have a community coop where adults and babies hang together that could be a problem for egg consumption...as the hens will start to pick and eat the medicated feed so if you're planning on feeding medicated, be aware of that as well.

I went to Tractor Supply the other day and was looking for a bag of chick food non-medicated (starter/grower). The manager told me he'd help me and we walked over to the chicken feed isle. He started his speel on how medicated food is better for the chicks etc...etc...etc.... Then I quietly told him why I didn't need it and how long I'd been raising chickens for and he quickly toned down.

I would love to see pics of your girls! Please post them. I just got my chicks from the hatchery Monday. I started new breeds his year...getting back into the big brown egg layers from the bantams.

I only used medicated for chicks that I buy from a farm store and only for a week or so. Those that are raised here eat what the hen does--I give them unmedicated chick starter and when old enough they start eating the chopped corn that the rest of the older birds get. Mine hate scratch or game bird--they are spoiled.

Bump posted pics on the initial post for those that wanted to see my girls and too many boys. What do you do when you have to many roosters? I have become attached to them don't think I could butcher one. I guess if they start becoming aggressive it might make that decision easier. Do any of you keep more than 1 rooster, do they fight? I am sure that some of you chicken experts can tell me the 2 breeds that I have and maybe a bit about their breed specific behavior? Good layers, good broilers, easy to handle? The black ones have been a bit aggressive to the new white ones, chasing off the feeder and such. The 2 groups hang out separately but sometimes gather all together for a dirt bath, oh the 1st time we saw them do that, to funny! Thought they were all dying, lol. The white ones make the sweetest cooing sound, will they always do that or is it a baby thing? Thanks for looking and sharing.

We do not feed medicated feed. Our hens are free range. All I feed them is hen scratch grains. I do not feed a layer pellet because their shells are so hard now we would need a hammer to get into them. All hens are very healthy. We lost a hen last fall that was 11 years old that we raised from a chick. All of our hens live and lay eggs very long. We have 11 hens. Four hens are from last year and we get about 8 eggs a day. The rest of the hens are in the 8-10 year range. Oh and we do not have any roosters since we do not want to raise chicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your white with black flecking on the hackle feathers look to be Brahmas. If they are, they are a very gentle bird. The blacks might be Australorps or Jersey Giants? Are their under-feet white or yellow? When you intro new chickens to your flock there will be a pecking order established...like horses sometimes. Until they establish this expect some grumbling and head pecking for a spell. If they get too aggressive you may have to remove the instigator for a while. As far as roos go....you can keep "some" together depending on the breed. Most when they become of breeding age will fight. This will be my first year with Faverolles which are suppose to be very docile roos that can be kept together with others. (I'll keep you posted)....lol..... Rhode Island Reds have an aggressive label, as well as some bantams. I usually sell my roos when I have too many, either in auction or private right off the farm. Hopefully I only have two roos with my order of chicks from the hatchery.....IF they sexed them just right. Your flock looks healthy and active...good luck with them. They ARE very entertaining aren't they?

Latest posts

Back