Is everyone okay in Oklahoma City area?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
My dad just called from my hometown of Kingfisher oklahoma and said they had horrible rain and wind last nite. He lives in a trailer house and thought it was going to blow over! He lost a tree and got about 6 inches of rain over nite. So I am wondering if everyone in that area is okay. Including Weeokie, Charlotte, Becky, Viki and many more! Please check in everyone! Sheila

Becky, Charlotte and Viki are fine. Haven't heard from Rita yet.

Nothing like getting a tropical storm in Oklahoma in the middle of August! We had torrential rains and 60 - 70 mph winds. No major problems here other than the 4 yr old windows in my house leaked like a sieve on the south side where the wind was blowing so hard. I'll be calling the window company first thing tomorrow morning!

The power was out for a couple of hours but is back on here now.

Hope everyone else is ok. Lots of major flooding going on now across central OK.

default_sad.png
I am really disapointed that this was moved to the back porch. I am looking to reach my miniature horse friendsl I realize this is all miniature horse forums but most of the people i know mostly only take time to look at the main forum. I only look at the back porch when I have more time, maybe once a week. Oh well. Sheila

Sheila, I hope your father is ok! I just watched an amazing water rescue live in Kingfisher where the Oklahoma Highway Patrol helicopter had to rescue two people from a submerged vehicle. Amazing! Also, people being rescued from the roofs of homes. I'm sure much of this will be on the National news tonight.

One of my clients who lives in Kingfisher was supposed to come pick up a horse today and couldn't get to his barn due to flooding to get his trailer.

Hope all are safe!

Has anyone heard from Mary Bennett who lives in Shawnee?

Becky, My dad is fine. He lives about 10 miles NW of Kingfisher. Ron Clough's farm and Donna Mese are also NW of town so I think they should be okay except for not having a way to town altho Ron lives in town but I am sure Donna will be looking after his horses if he can't get too them. We too just started watching Fox network and are shocked at the amount of water coming in on the north side. Having lived there most of my life it has never flooded that far into town. Pioneer Telephone where both Pat and I worked looks to be surrounded. It is so eery to see my hometown on tv this way. thanks for the concern about my dad. Have you heard from Rita? Sheila

Just watched the helicpoter rescue in Kingisher, OK (I think) on the news..........

went right to the LB Forum to make sure everyone is alright.....sounds like

every one is okay.........what a terrible storm you must have had.

Glad to hear all is okay.

OMG! I just saw a man rescued from the corner of his rooftop and that is my grandparents house. They built that house in the late 50s and they lived there till they went to the nursing home about 8 years ago. I can't tell you how many times I stayed in that house when it flooded. It always just got to the garage and now that whole thing is surrounded! I also lived a 1/2 mile east of where they did after I moved out on my own and got married and we saw our old trailer in a aerial shot and it is surrounded also. The horse pens and barn that my husband built when we got our first minis is under. Makes me want to cry. :no: Sheila

I'm glad Becky posted who is safe. I hope someone hears from Rita and the others soon!

We saw the flooding on the Weather Cannel! The rescues. I saw that house Sheila!

It's pretty bad in Kingfisher.
default_sad.png

We got rain come through a sealed southern window (kitchen) and a horse shelter ruined. I went out in it to save some baby kittens who the mother had out in it. They were about to drown. I got to them in time. We are lucky, it is pretty much dried out again.

I feel for those up North!

Just talked to Mary Bennett. Their flooded but everyone is safe.....

I just talked to Rita's husband Hugh and they are fine. They got 6 inches of rain in about 3 hours but no flooding in their area! Sheila

We are okay, we only have 4 usable stalls for 7 horses but everybody is okay. One of the stallions was belly deep in water in his pen but he is now dry and even though the little girls are not liking having BOYS in their stalls, they are fine in the barn aisle with plenty of hay to keep everybody occupied. I had to go 10 miles out of the way and still had to drive through some water to get out but the water is going down.

The water on top of the bridge on the way to the farm was over the hood of a 4 wheel drive pickup that was stranded on the bridge. There was nobody in it and the sheriff's department was there so no other moron would drive off into it.

The neighbors had to evacuate several of their mares and foals to higher ground but they are all safe too.

Lightning got a tree behind the barn and there is standing water in 2 stalls in the barn but thank God I got all of the horses in dry stalls except the fillies and 1 mare who are in the aisle. The crabby mare is still in a stall because she would make the others stay outside.

I am glad to hear from the others that are around here, that was a really nasty storm. We had 3 1/2 inches of rain in less than an hour this morning and that was after it rained all night.

Mary

I'm glad you're ok Mary! And glad Rita & Hugh are ok too.

It was really bad up that way! :new_shocked:

I went looking for a thread on this situation when just now I saw newsfilm of the helicopter rescue, AND of a big commercial BUS that was moved off of I-40 in the OK City area by water---my GOSH! Both of those situations ended well-no people seriously hurt or killed, but BOY, how scary!! I'm SOOOO glad to hear of all of you Oklahomans who've checked in here so far being alright, and hope the news continues in that vein....(my adult son lives in Goodwell, in the Panhandle-no word from him that he's been affected by this...)

Who'd have though that tropical storm would have such an immense effect so far from the coast??

Hang in there,

Margo

I've been following this storm too. My goodness it had us glued to the TV watching the rescues from the Highway Patrols in Kingfisher. Very scarey stuff you guys! Stay safe and dry......if the radars are corect, the rain should have been moving out of your area by now.

BTW--does anyone know if the town of Luther was affected by this flood?

Hi Cheyenne,

Yes Luther was affected. My sister and her hubby were stuck at home until about an hour after the rain stopped. Highway 66 was flooded both between Luther and Arcadia and between Luther and Wellston.

The water has gone down and she got out this evening. She made it to Shawnee just fine but had a big detour to get out to the farm because the highway is still closed as is the main road to the farm.

The water has probably gone down at least 6 feet since noon but it is still over the road in many places, some of them still too deep to open the road.

Mary

Wow, Mary!!! This is pretty scarey stuff! I remember Luther being very open yet hilly, and around Rt. 66 and Arcadia. Is there a main river that flooded out or was it just due to too much rain too fast? I defintely don't want to live near a river! :no:

We survived the land-a-cane.....Our wind gauge broke at 70+ mph. Lost the front of our mare barn (again).. Tons of rain, but all is safe. Now the clean up begins (again) :eek: Anyone want to buy fenced acerage, 1600 sq. ft. 3 bd 2 bth house, storm cellar, carpenters workshop, 2 barns with running water, 16 x 30 just built with electric shed, where the black top ends???? Oh yeah, forgot to add on lake front property???? HEE HEE

Hi Everyone

Sorry to be late checking in but everyone I know is OK. Pat Elder (RosaRoca) said everything was WET, her driveway was cut at the road, had to get a ride to the training center to get her truck as she could not get the car out. I guess the training center was OK.

I'm fine, just lots more deep wash areas in the pastures--did find a snake up in the rafter of the barn yesterday afternoon--my hay guy was delivering round bales for me so he dispacted the critter YECKKKKK!!! :new_shocked: He asked if I had been out at all, told him NO, he said that the road I live on, about 4 miles west of me was completely under water and had not been that deep since 1993. Tobey Keith's place is right there on the corner and his pastures were under water clear up to the top of his fence and that is a 4 rail 4.5" custom board fence. Did not have a landline phone for most of the day but did not loose power.

Jan Tobey (Multihitch) was without power for awhile but had it back by late afternoon. Both her ponds were over the banks and therefore cut her drive way off by high water.

Talked to Georgetta Miears, they run the Chickasha Auction and their place was soaked but above water, had not power when I talked to them last.

Bev M was OK, but was having a mare trying to colic and could not get a vet to come out, finally did and last I heard the mare was doing fine.

Talked with Vicki (Rocking M) farm they only got at 3" and everyone there is fine.

That just about everyone in harms way.

Thanks for the news Davie. I'm glad everyone and Bev's mare is ok.

I'm only 6 miles from rockin r and we did not have the damage that they did.

Sorry you got damaged again Theresa.
default_sad.png

pssst guess what blew in after the storm?
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back