Is anyone else concerned about alternative fuels effect on us???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatonkas Dream

Reaction score
I was curious to find out if anyone else is concerned about the long term effects of alternative renewable resources on the overall cost of feeding/caring for our horses. What and how it will impact us and prices on 'forage' and grain based feed.

In 2006-07 an apx additional 300,000 acres were changed from native grass / hay baling to corn for the corn ethanol blends.

I watched a program on the discovery channel that was reviewing bio fuels and corn yields around 350 units per acre, sugar around 650 and switchback grass 1150.

Granted there will have to be a balance struck over still producing food for us to eat/consume and switching farming to alternative fuels sources. But I’ve been wondering what the impacts to the prices of feed.

I’d like other’s feed back on what they are thinking.

Thanks

http://www.methanol.org/pdf/RenewableBioMe...garBeetPulp.pdf

http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/switgrs.html

Just talk to your local swine or poultry farmer, grain and feed prices are going through the roof. We may save a few cents at the pump but will pay more at the grocery counter and feed mill. What processed people or animal food do you know of that does not contain some form of corn?!

Another side effect, cheap US grain has fed impoverished nations for a long time, people are going to starve so we can continue to drive those big SUVs.

Best way to conserve fuel and reduce costs, trade in those big gas guzzlers and drive something that gets at least 30 mls per gallon!

Guess you hit my hot button:)

Oh I agree that we need to overall make changes, not just find alter fuels.

But going green is too expensive for most average or below average income brackets.

The same show had 'green' houses - that cost upward of 250-300 more per sq ft than the 'normal' cost of a home in the same area.

And considering adding on and making an exisiting home partially green is also very expensive

But somewhere changes need to happen - how and when I don't know.

Best way to conserve fuel and reduce costs, trade in those big gas guzzlers and drive something that gets at least 30 mls per gallon!

I'd love to drive something that gets great gas mileage, but a tiny car isn't going to pull my horse trailer, no way no how. :no:
default_sad.png
I need a big vehicle to haul feed and bedding too. Since I *have* to have a truck, I plan my driving trips carefully so as to combine as many errands into one trip as I can, and I limit my driving (and idling) as much as possible.

My hot topic button too. My answer is solar or wind power, not biodiesel. You can drive to the steakhouse but can't afford the steak.....

To me it is like all the milk cows that were slaughtered years ago to shore up milk prices. Once the government gets involved, you might as well just give up.

What I don't understand about this ethenol (sp?) thing is when they first started talking about it they said it could be made out of just about anything. Like the waste from a parer mill. That should not make paper and wood prices go up because notice the word "WASTE". They also said it could be made from things that are in our land fills. Therefore cutting our garbage down. Why do they NEED to use corn to mess with livestock production? Someone PLEASE explain it to me in terms even I can understand.

This is a much bigger issue and I believe that things will change when a new administation is in place.

Think of what industry the Pres and VP comes from. I know for a fact that oil refineries (in TX and LA) have shut down half their operations and are only producing a fraction of gas that they did before he became president.

But I strongly encourage solar/wind power. I would love to get my house retrofited with those things. I do worry that other countries have too much control on what oil we do get. And a solution needs to be found.

But using agricultural products is going to have an affect on our horse feed as well as the food that we consume ourselves. I can't wait till 2009.

Edited to say: Flame suit is on. Hot topic for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our son is the Production Manager of a company here in Canada that produces feed supplements. Their company is struggling right now because raw products that they need to put into the feed are bing snapped up by the bio-diesel companies and the price is going out of sight. The last few months have seen losses for his company as they fill contracts that they are committed to but are having to deal with the increased prices of the raw products.

The livestock owners will be hit with increased cost of feed.

Like other things when the Fed. Gov't gets involved, everything goes to He-- in a handbasket!

Consumer Reports had an eye-opening article about how ethanol was NOT the 'salvation' fuel it was being portrayed to be--but the lobbyests have the gov't's ear now, so it's full steam ahead, no matter what the FACTS are.

This will not save the consumer anything; instead, it will(and already is, as noted here already!)costing EVERYONE,not just livestock owners, in all sorts of ways. :no:

Margo

Yup, driving many crazy. I just paid $18.49 for a bag of Triple Crown Low Starch...that is up $4.

What is really sad is with confinement livestock practices there is a readily tapable source of methane that could be processed for fuel but it goes unutilized as there is no funding to support the technology. Heck when I was in Peace Corp third world countries were using it successfully but here it is not even touched!

Back