Is a 10x8 stall big enough for two?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicmac74

Reaction score
I have a 10x8 stall. My mini gelding and mare get along wonderfully (except at meal times which they would be fed outside the stall). Mostly they are turned out in paddock or pasture. I was just wondering, as (hopefully!) we will be getting some rain this winter in California, whether 10x8 would be big enough for two for overnight or when it rains?What do you think? I could make it wider maybe 12x12 but am on a budget so trying to make do with what I have at present!

I personally think they would fit in there. I know my two minis share a stall at night and I know for sure its not a 12x12. I will have to go out and measure mine but I know mine have plenty of room to eat in, walk around eachother comfortable, turn around at the time and be able to lay down and there would still be plenty of room in there. For my point of view I'd say stick them in and see how much room they have in there. Maybe someone else might be able to offer you a bit better advice than I can. I live down here in California too so I am hoping it doesnt rain to bad considering I have a Shetland who might need a actually stall too.

I get 2 in a 12x10 stall easily... and very happily.

The only thing you need to watch is with where you place the hay and that the underdog of the 2 can get the hay without being kicked to peices.

I can also get 3 happily in my 15x10 stall. I have before found 5 ponies crammed into the 12x6 field shelter!
default_new_shocked.gif

Hello:

Yes, the size of the stall is definitely big enough. The question is, Do they really get along well enough to share feed/water.? Interesting, I had two weanling colts (brothers) sharing a 10 x 10 stall, and they seemed to get along very well, at least while I was in the barn. I watched them one day on the camera, and they were NOT getting along. One was kicking the heck out of the other one!! OF course, as soon as I appeared, they were little angels. Boys will be boys!! But I would suggest hanging two water pails in opposite corners, to make sure they both get sufficient water.

I would love to set up a webcam to watch them but so many other things to get first! I think separate water pails is a good idea. I would have to feed separately as I know the gelding will get all greedy. Other then that, I think they get along very well!

Hello:
Yes, the size of the stall is definitely big enough. The question is, Do they really get along well enough to share feed/water.? Interesting, I had two weanling colts (brothers) sharing a 10 x 10 stall, and they seemed to get along very well, at least while I was in the barn. I watched them one day on the camera, and they were NOT getting along. One was kicking the heck out of the other one!! OF course, as soon as I appeared, they were little angels. Boys will be boys!! But I would suggest hanging two water pails in opposite corners, to make sure they both get sufficient water.

As has been pointed out already.......it's the FEEDING time that needs to be considered. But if you are feeding them separately, then, if it were me I would just give it a try and watch. Make sure both are willing to share the water bucket, otherwise I would also place two in opposite corners as WLS suggested.

My personal experience has been that even horses who are friends do NOT share their grain well.........but they will share hay. In that situation, I have grained them separately and will still place two different hay piles for them and they tend to be okay with that.

My concerns would be having them eat so close together (I own about 20 minis, and can't think of a pair that would let each other eat in peace) but also about one of them getting cast by laying too close to a wall with them both sharing an 8x10 space.

Mine will be going in tonight because of the tropical storm(they have been stalled together before). Most of my stalls are about the size you mentioned. One is smaller. I have 4 stalls that will have a pair in each. They will be fed their grain outside seperately. They will have hay inside together with no problems. I only have one horse that can't be paired with anyone. He has his own stall.

Kim

Absolutely not. This is a real pet peeve with me.

The poster asked if that would be ok for over night during winter weather. The entire point of providing a shelter from the elements is to provide comfort, a dry cozy place. Stuffing two horses in a stall together that is only big enough for one in the first place is ridiculous. I'm not even talking about feeding them, but just the idea also of double poop and double pee has got to be another clue that this is just plain wrong. How are they supposed to move around, turn around and lay down?

Just because a Miniature Horse can fit in a closet, doesn't mean its ok to shove him in there.

I'm sorry nikmac74, I disagree with the others and highly suggest bigger is always better. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am of the opinion that as long as they get along, 2 to a large stall is fine. Mine do it on occasion, and I know for certain that they both lie down. They in fact miss each other when I separate them.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you make a removable divider in a 12 by 12. Would make the stalls only 6 by 12 though. If you could make it 14 by 14 probably would be better though with a removable divider.

Hi,

That was my main concern actually. I was mostly worried that one might get cast. I probably will have to expand it by a few feet. Maybe 12x12 would be safer.
default_smile.png

My concerns would be having them eat so close together (I own about 20 minis, and can't think of a pair that would let each other eat in peace) but also about one of them getting cast by laying too close to a wall with them both sharing an 8x10 space.

I have a big stall and my mare and gelding sleep almost on top of eachother. I think its just fine , no worries

I will definitely feed them separately in such a small space. As for grain?No way would either of them share. Worse then spoilt kids with candy! I like to give lots of space at feeding times. They will happily share hay but not in such a small space, I think. I might try to expand the space a little bit just to be on the safer side. The guy who put the stall front on completed it while I was away and did not make it quite big enough. I was worried about one of them getting cast if they both lay down.

As has been pointed out already.......it's the FEEDING time that needs to be considered. But if you are feeding them separately, then, if it were me I would just give it a try and watch. Make sure both are willing to share the water bucket, otherwise I would also place two in opposite corners as WLS suggested.
My personal experience has been that even horses who are friends do NOT share their grain well.........but they will share hay. In that situation, I have grained them separately and will still place two different hay piles for them and they tend to be okay with that.

Latest posts

Back